Frederick S., Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer technician and founder of a home PC repair company.
33925084

any thoughts as to how to stop my screen scrolling and jumping

any thoughts as to how to stop my screen scrolling and jumping by itself? I would like to try and resolve it without buying a new monitor. It is difficult to read of type a lot of the time. Other times like now it is still and responds to the mouse appropriately - though having said that it just moved down and is now jumping again and now still again...
Hi! My name isXXXXX look forward to assisting you! Do not forget to rate my answer quality before you go. Let's get started!

This is most likely caused by your palms/hands/static/warmth causing it to jump around, but thankfully there is a program called Touchfreeze that will freeze the touchpad while you are typing, which should greatly reduce this issue. The best part is – the program is totally free.

You may download it on this page (the link in the green box, after you click the following link -->): http://ow.ly/37S0p

Please download and install it... Once you have it installed, it will run in the background and you'll forget it is even running as it doesn't affect your PC's performance at all. It will automatically start up each time you start Windows, and if for any reason you don’t see its icon down in the bottom by the clock (it will be a small touchpad with a checkbox) then you can always go to Start menu --> All Programs --> Touchfreeze --> Touchfreeze and launch it there.

Let me know should you have further questions before rating my advice. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou Frederick - sorry but I'm not sure what the touch pad is. I use a mouse and keyboard. also I am not so confident about downloading things.
So it isn't a touchpad? You're not using a laptop? Is this correct?

FS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is a free standing computer with seperate wired keyboard and wired mouse - sorry I think the first time I tried I did click that in - that is one of the problems with it jumping it is hard to focus on things

So is it the mouse pointer that's jumping around? Or is the ENTIRE screen from top to bottom jumping all over the place?

FS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the entire screen - the scroll bar at the side goes up and down without me touching the mouse
That isn't the entire screen; that sounds like the part within the program you're using that is scrollable. Please clarify so I can tell you whether this is an issue with the mouse or the monitor.

FS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is the entire page I am looking at that goes up and down
If you're using a Windows PC, then you're telling me that the File menu on top, and the Start menu/taskbar on the bottom is jumping around with everything else?

FS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the start bar doesn't jump. the file menu mostly doesn''t move but I did notice earlier the file menu changed to something else when the mouse arrow was over it even though I didn't click. I also have to click on a file now when I open it from the start menu to keep it open which I didn't have to before.

Okay. That's very helpful.

How often does that happen? Pretty much every minute?

Can you please locate where the mouse is plugged in and unplug it for a few minutes and use the keyboard arrows or page up and down on the keyboard to maneuver around and see if it jumps?

Then replug the mouse in and tell me if it recurs. You don't need to restart.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It in intermittent but certainly this session every minute or more. I did as you suggested and it didn't jump when the mouse was unplugged and I used the keys... hasn't happened since I plugged the mouse back in either. does that mean - well I got that far and it did just go down a little . New Mouse needed, do you think?
Fortunately, yes, that's what it sounds like.

I say "fortunately" since that's the cheapest possible part that it could have been -- either the mouse (can usually find a good one for less than $30), the motherboard ($100-200) or the monitor ($200+).

Hope this helps. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks so much for your time and patience. I will go shopping for a new mouse.
You're welcome :)