cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.
20109878

MY Magic jack doesnt work. Now I have no phone service at

MY Magic jack doesn't work. Now I have no phone service at all. I spent five hours yesterday on many chat sessions and things got worse. Can a live person call me. The MJ number is XXXXX or my cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX.

This is serious!!!!

Ron Leonard
Category: Computer
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.

cvd4311 :

sorry to say justanswer.com has a no policy about calling. do you have a magic jack or magic jack plus?

Customer:

plus

cvd4311 :

first if you are using the dongle (cord) that came with magic jack, take it off (most of the time it doesn't work). then make sure your wall jack to your MJ is no longer than 6 feet.

cvd4311 :

are you plugging your MJ plus straight into your router?

Customer:

Not directly into router. Does dongle cord mean the ethernet cord? it connect to the Apple Airport Express that is tied to my wireless internet service

Customer:

Yes I used that cord.

cvd4311 :

no, not the Ethernet cord. when MJ plus sent you their product they included a cord inside the box. you should have a ethernet from your wall out into the plus and the plus into your router. is that how you have it set up?

cvd4311 :

do not use the cord that came with your plus (sometimes you can't get your MJ to work).

Customer:

I don't have a wall ethernet system. My Apple router has ports for the connection that I made with the supplied cord per the mj instructions. The phone line runs from the wall outlet to the mj. So I want to be sure you understand what I have to work with.

Customer:

My connection to the internet is wireless through the Apple router for this computer that I'm using now.

cvd4311 :

okay I understand now. since MJ walked you through the other items have you tried to uninstall and reinstall your MJ plus back? when they ported your number over something must have switched since it was working before. Or you can try the restore to previous date before you were having problems (it will not delete your telephone number).

Customer:

I have not tried to uninstall and reinstall the MJ on my MacBook. Is that what you think should be done. I want you to direct what I do as I am ready to return it rather than wasting time and money on it.

cvd4311 :

yes you can uninstall through your control panel then reinstall it back. then it will ask you to register your phone number or get a new one, just put in the phone number that you ported.

cvd4311 :

On the "My Subscriptions" Tab, you will see an option which states "Transfer Your Phone Number to MagicJack. click on that once you go through the registration and put in your number.

I would do a restore to previous date first just to see if that fixes it first.

Customer:

Lead me to the control panel. I installed this last Thursday.

cvd4311 :

click on start, either type in control panel in the search box or control panel is on left hand side once you click on your start button.

cvd4311 :

or Click on the Apple in the upper-left, go to System Preferences. Then click on "Displays".

Customer:

ok

Customer:

Displays in system preferences has nothing to do with MJ.

Customer:

It is in a file in applications

cvd4311 :

delete the magic jack file in applications.

cvd4311 :

another way you can do it (haven't tried this way but forum says it works), take the dongle (cord) off of the magic jack, unplug magic jack and then reinstall it back (without the dongle cord).

Customer:

It won't delete. the file in applications is titled "open applejack" . That opens on the desktop the MJ phone screen

cvd4311 :

okay can you drag the magic jack icon to your trash bin?

Customer:

Yes that worked. the icon was on the desktop.Its in trash now.

cvd4311 :

okay unplug your magic jack from everything.

cvd4311 :

wait about 10 seconds then replug everything back in and it should start a registration.

Customer:

I did that. It was in USB port.

cvd4311 :

okay now did it start the registration?

cvd4311 :

also when you plug it back in try a different usb port.

Customer:

yes it now has the MJ screen on the desktip

cvd4311 :

okay double click on that and follow the instructions.

cvd4311 :

it might just go straight into MJ so all you might have to do is to make a test call to see if it works.

Customer:

I must not have the right screen. It is playing audio commercials now about mj.

cvd4311 :

wait till the audio commercials get finished and let me know what it does.

Customer:

I can shut down MJ with a yes or no choice. Is that what to do?

cvd4311 :

shut it down with a yes.

cvd4311 :

then try to reopen it back up. if it does the same thing wait till the commercials are gone and see what it does. (sounds like everything was not deleted).

Customer:

ok It is going through all the features again. I lost the shut down screen. This is going nowhere. The screen shows my MJ phone number at the top and has the red end and green send buttons above the keypad.

cvd4311 :

okay try this:

there are at least two area's where Magicjack loads files, but dragging the icons from the desktop to the trash is the first place to start, then when the device has been "Ejected" from your system, unplug the device from your Mac.

Firstly, remove this file from the users home folder - Library/Preferences/magicJack - the folder called "MagicJack" needs to be deleted if you intend to uninstall.

Next go to the the users home folder - /Library/Caches/com.talk4free.magicJack - the file called "com.talk4free.magicJack" also needs to be removed for a full uninstall.

cvd4311 :

it didn't get all the way uninstalled by dumping (sometimes it does uninstall like that).

cvd4311 :

If that doesn't do it we have one more thing we can try. Go to this website: http://magicjack.com/faq/ and follow the instructions (I will post below also):

MAC

Click here to download CompleteUninstall.sh. After the download is complete, open a terminal window by navigating to /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

In the Terminal Window, navigate to your download directory (usually Downloads) by typing cd Downloadsand pressing enter. Next, type chmod+x CompleteUninstall.sh and press enter. Now type./CompleteUninstall.sh and press enter again.

cvd4311 :

Magic Jack is saying the above I just posted will uninstall every bit of Magic Jack that you have on your Mac. Then you can just plug it back in and it will reinstall and take you through the registration.

cvd4311 :

also youtube has a video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVGK8QzaN-k.

please DO NOT rate, accept or leave feedback until you are completely satisfied with my answer.

Customer:

I have looked all through the library/preferences and can't find it. The library file on my computer. I used spotlight and found a list of msg0001,etc.wav files in the mac HD

cvd4311 :

Okay let's try something different:

Let's uninstall MagicJack completely using the AppCleaner application, then restart the computer and reinstall MagicJack.

Please follow the steps below:

1- Go to http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/ and click on "Download version 1.2.2" button
2- After the download double click it and follow the prompts to install it
3- Open AppCleaner.
4 -Then open Finder and go to Applications. Find MagicJack there. Drag MagicJack to the AppCleaner window.
5- Please click the "Delete" button to uninstall MagicJack completely
6- Restart your Mac

cvd4311 :

If that doesn't work, try a restore to previous date on your mac.

• Connect your external hard drive to your computer by inserting the USB cable into the USB port.

• 2

Insert the Mac OS X Installation CD into your optical drive, and double-click the "Install Mac OS X" icon.

• 3

Click "Utilities" at the top of the screen once your computer opens the Installer window. Select "Restore System from Backup" from the drop-down menu.

• 4

Click "Continue" to proceed, and click the "Time Machine Backup" volume icon.

• 5

Select the backup you want to use to restore your system, and click "Next." The backup restoration takes up to 45 minutes to complete, depending on the size of your hard drive. Click "Restart" to restart your computer.

•  

Customer:

Before I do that, I just selected all the files that I told you about and drug them to trash and emptied trash. I searched again and don't find any files named MJ now. so I think it is now clean from it.

cvd4311 :

okay now plug in your MJ plus and it should start the registration back up.

Customer:

What does regristration scren look like. I got the standard screen with my phone number on top and the green send and red end buttons in the center above the keypad. Is that the installation screen??

cvd4311 :

no that means that it didn't uninstall all the way. Try to make a test call and see if it works.

Customer:

No it didn't work. I still get a ring on my mac and finally it plays a recoding that says the mj customer you called is not available.

cvd4311 :

Okay I am out of options. I am going to turn this over to another expert and they will come online.

cvd4311 :

Is that okay.

Customer:

Well I am not sure. I am ready to give up and send it back to MJ for a refund. I am only 77 years old and don't need this kind of :\"help with MJ"

cvd4311 :

I understand completely.

Customer:

Do you know how to contact them directly by phone?

cvd4311 :

they don't have a support line only a billing phone number. they have chat line like we do but that is it.

cvd4311 :

billing number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

cvd4311 :

but no support number, I hate to say. They support is iffy at best.

Customer:

Ok lets terminate. I understand you have made a great effort to help me..

cvd4311 :

thank you. please do not leave negative rating or feedback.

cvd4311, Computer Analyst
    Experience: I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.