RickBrown
RickBrown, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Versed in high end system building for gamers and power users. Here to help!
510739

Dell vostro 1540 wouldnt boot up just 7 beeps on mains and

Dell vostro 1540 wouldnt boot up just 7 beeps on mains and shut down on battery. Left it unplugged a week plugged back in and worked fine till tried restart and back to 7 bleeps nothing showing on screen, thought it was the motherboard when first started as dell said hardware problem is only 7 months old, any ideas please

RickBrown :

\Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I Will be helping you today.

RickBrown :

Have you tried re-setting the cmos?

Customer:

no how do you do that

RickBrown :

You take out the main battery .. and then you take off the back panel on the laptop, inside will be a round silver battery.. Like a watch battery. Pop it out for 10 mins or so.. then put it back in and put back in the laptops battery .. and then try to start it up.

RickBrown :

This will reset the bios.

Customer:

ok will try that thanks

RickBrown :

Good luck.. please come back to this page and let me know how it goes.

Customer:

will do

RickBrown :

switching to Question and answer format now.

Customer:

Hi Rick did what you said but still 7 bleeps blank screen, with this dell to get back off have to take it all to bits 17 screws lol

Customer:

am i going to get a reply

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So you did take the cmos battery out and still have the same result?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes same result
Do you see the bios screen at all?
I just looked up the 7 beeps .. 7 beep codes means a CPU-cache test failure, its a processor failure. I would contact Dell.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes i got that code but just with it starting again thought might be something else ok
Sorry to say that if you are getting 7 beeps everytime you start it up, thats the diagnostic test telling you what is wrong.. Sounds like you will need a new cpu.
If you feel that my answer was acceptable please click the accept button.. Its the only way I get paid.. . Thank you for choosing justanswer.com