Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Computer Technician with a degree in System Administration.
46422908

Why wont Windows 7 play videos on my yahoo homepage? Like

Customer Question

Why won't Windows 7 play videos on my yahoo homepage? Like OMG news, etc.?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Chris and I will be happy to assist you.

Is it only yahoo videos you cannot play or is video not working on other sites as well? Can you go to youtube.com and play a video?

When you try and play a video are you receiving any kind of error message?

Please let me know so I can further assist.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can play other videos. Youtube plays fine. It only occurs from my Yahoo home page when I am viewing news clips. Some vidos paly fine, others don't play at all and never load the video. Example, Yahoo OMG entertainment clips won't play now although when the computer was new a few months ago, they played fine. On the yahoo home page, they often have a series of pictures of various stars and I cannot scroll through those pictures.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information, I am going to have you try a couple of things to correct the problem.

Close your web browser.

Open your system control panel by clicking the start button on the bottom left and choosing control panel, and open the Flash Player control panel

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Once open select the Storage tab and click the "Delete All..." button. Please note that the "Advanced" tab also contains a "Delete All..." button and the behavior and functionality are identical.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Verify that the "Delete All Site Data and Settings" checkbox is checked and click the "Delete Data" button

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

What this will do is clear your flash player cache. When you have done the above you may open internet explorer and try your yahoo videos again.

If it still does not work please do the following:

Click the link and download and install the browser and try your video again:
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Now if it does work in firefox but you would like to fix your internet explorer browser here is how you can that.

In your internet explorer browser
Click on Tools > Internet Options.

Click on the Advanced tab and Reset

Make sure delete personal settings IS NOT checked

Click Reset, then Reset again.

Click OK

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thank you,
Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This did not work. Same result. From OMG!Yahoo, the video article; "Jennifer Lopez sparkles in nude catsuit" will not play. All of the text appears, but no video.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Did it work in the firefox browser?

Please try clicking this link.
http://omg.yahoo.com/video/omgnow-23814938/jennifer-lopez-sparkles-in-nude-catsuit-29520904.html?_esi=1

If the video does not start after a minute or two hold the CTRL key on the keyboard and press F5.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it did not work in Firefox.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
All right, on a page where the video is not starting hold CTRL and press F5 to try and force the video to start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, it did not work in Firefox. As per your instructions above, that did not work either. I pressed CTRL and F5 with no result.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm looking for a video that will not play. My version of IE7 does not immediately back up when I hit the back up arrow. I have to hit it several times before the back up arrow starts to play and then the screen backs up.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
In your question you said you were using windows 7 so you cannot be using IE7 I would thing you are using IE9. Did you reset the browser to defaults like I asked you?

It makes no sense that some video would play other than that one. If that is what is happening the issue has to be on yahoo's end of things with that specific video.

If you have a problem with your web browser or flash player it would effect all videos that use flash not just the one with jennifer lopez.

Please be aware that what I have said is based on the information you have given me. If there is anything else odd going on with the computer that you can tell me I may be able to suggest more fixes.

I would suggest you wait for awhile and try this video again later, maybe it would be good to watch other videos as well to see if there is any consistency with the problem and any error message that may show up OR if it is only the jennifer lopez video.

I think it would be a good idea to test your internet connection as well. Go to the following site: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and click on the location closest to you and see what kind of download speed you are getting. Anything over 3Mb should be fine. With a odd problem like this it is best to rule out everything we can.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is IE9. I mistyped. It does indeed play some videos and not others. Seems the only consistent fact I can state is that it will not play the OMG!Yahoo videos. I have two laptops in teh house and I don't have this problem on my laptops connected to the same home wifi. Only this desk tip. I had AT&T out last week and they did some work that improved it, but it is still only 2.58Mbps upload and .39Mbps download. Could it have anything to do with the security software I have installed?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes it could have to do with the security software. Especially if you never had the problem before you installed the software.

This software could be blocking videos on the omg yahoo pages.

What is the software and when was it installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AVG Anti Virus 2012. Installed around mid-April. Can't be sure if that coincides with the video problem, but I do know, when i bought this computer a couple of months earlier, I think all videos played fine.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Try this.

Open AVG and see if you have Online Shield enabled.

Here you need to click on the Online Shield option.
It will say “Online Shield is active”
Click on the “Tools / Advanced Settings..
Expand the “Online Shield” option and click on “Web Protection“
Here you will find an option “Exclude Host/IP/Domain, enter each entry in new line“
In the text box enter the website you think is not potentially harmful
Enter the http://omg.yahoo.com/ in the text box then click Apply and finally click Ok.

If that does not work please reboot the computer. As soon as it begins to boot keep tapping the F8 key. When presented with the safe mode option choose safe mode with networking.

Once in safe mode with networking try to watch the video. If it works then we know some software is blocking it.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Online Shield does not appear as one of my components. When I click on the History tab and select Online Shield Findings, that list is empty.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to test in safe mode?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Doing that now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the video plays in SAFE MODE.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok then it is definitely a software you have running blocking that website. Do you know if you have any firewalls installed or other security software such as Zone alarm, Mcafee, norton?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe Mcafee or Norton was the anti virus software originally installed on the computer when I bought it new. After the free trial period, I installed the AVG. How do i find out?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
All right. This is a problem.

It is possible that the expired programs are still on the computer and causing the issue, in fact I am sure they are.

Click start and choose all programs and let me know if you can find Mcafee or Norton or Both.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see anything but AVG when I choose all programs. I even went into control panel and check all programs and don't see anything but AVG.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Ok. If you did uninstall the old anti virus it is possible that pieces of it were left behind and still running, this happens often.

Here is what I would like you to try.

Click the start button and in the search box that opens type services.msc and press enter.

A list of windows services will open.

Look through the list and look for anything that says Mcafee and/or Norton or Symantec. When you find these double click them to open the service. If the services says started I would like you to click Stop and set the start up type to disabled.

You need to be careful and make sure you only do this for things that say Mcafee or Norton/Symantec. If you are not sure check with me first.

If there is a service that will not stop you will need to return to safe mode and repeat the process.

Please let me know.

Thank You
-Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What about windows firewall? it is running. I don't find anything related to Norton, Symantac, or McAfee.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Yes try to turn of windows firewall for testing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Turned off Windows Firewall. Still shows "status" as blank and "start up" type as Automatic. This did not help. video still does not play.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Does it say the service is stopped for windows firewall?

What else is running on this machine? Check the icons on the bottom right near the clock please. Put your mouse over each one and let me know what they say.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Under "status", it is blank. It does NOT show "stopped". The icons on the bottom right are; HP Digital Imaging Monitor, Intel (R) HD Graphics, Lenovo HD Audio Manager, AVG PC Tuneup, AVG Antivirus 2012, Netgear WNA3100,
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
My apologies but I am out of ideas at the moment. I do know that something on the computer is blocking it. I will opt/out and send your question back to the other experts. You will receive an email when they are ready to help you.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for your effort.

Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Hi. I am Rick and I will be your Computer Professional.

Are you still needing help with this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I would like to close my request. I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled and that seems to have corrected the problem.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Will do. Glad you got it working.