romr2009
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control

What is wrong when I get a message, web page not responding,

What is wrong when I get a message, web page not responding, and a little later it freezes up. What can be done to stop this? Also it happens on any web page.
Category: Computer
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

• Switch to the free Firefox browser and add the NoScript extension to stop unwanted script behavior/delays.
  • You can still use IE later or at the same time but see if you have the same problems with the different browser.
  • Click the links below:

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
http://noscript.net/

-----

If no change:

• Run CHKDSK to fix any soft errors on your hard drive.
-----
  • For Windows 7 or Vista:
  • Click the multicolored Windows Orb in the lower-left hand corner of your screen.
  • In the text box type the phrase CMD to initiate a search.
  • An icon with the cmd text will appear near the top.
  • Right-click the CMD icon and select Run As Administrator.
  • Type in your administrator password XXXXX leave it blank if you did not assign a password.
  • When the CMD window opens, type the following command and then push the enter key.
  • Type CHKDSK and press the return key.
-----
  • Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

• Send the results first as directed below.
    -----
    Right-click on the text and choose SELECT ALL.
    Then go to the justanswer window and select PASTE so I can see the results.

-----

• The following make take hours to complete depending on the problems with the hard drive so do this overnight if possible without interruption:
  • If that works, then type CHKDSK /R and press the return key.
  • (CHKDSK /R has a space between CHKDSK and /R.)

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience: 32 years practical systems experience: computer/phone, automotive, appliance, & electrical control
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried the first two steps. Down loaded foxfire and use it as my browser. and down loaded no scripts. I tried and with noscripts I couldn't get a lot of my web pages. I would get my page and some would be there and some would not. I took most of the blocks off. I also did the chkdsk but I don't know where a return key is. Also where do I paste it

Where is the return key .?.Could your answers be more Clear?

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Dennis,

• You have to experiment with the scripts.
  • If the script causes your computer to lock up, you know to not allow that script because there is something wrong with it.
  • Sometimes the website is waiting for some advertising spots from another website and will stall your computer while it waits to load the unnecessary stuff the the advertiser.
  • Noscript will automatically remember your settings for each website for the next time you visit that website.

-----

Sorry.

• The return key is the same as the big ENTER key on the keyboard.
  • (Carriage return is an old leftover term from the 1900s from an obsolete machine called a typewriter.)

-----

• Pretend you are typing in this window (or the current one) but paste the text instead.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

+WilI have to pay 38dollars for every question? If not All I have got done is install firefly and noscript, but I had to allow almost all sites the noscript stopped to much. I tried to run chkdsk. I got the first part and got as far as right clicking and clicking selecting all you said mash the return button sellect paste on your web page. I never couldn't find( return key). So I haven't done much. I wanted to try again, but I couldn't get access. Thats all.

I am not going to pay anymore until we get this one settled. You are supposed to work on it until you get it fixed. Thats what you advertize.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.

Just stay with this same question.

Do not start a new question unless you want to pay again.

------

The Return key is also called the ENTER key.

-----

-----

• For Windows 7 or Vista:
  • When the CMD window opens, type the following command and then push the Enter key.
  • Type CHKDSK and press the Enter key.

-----

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

-----

-----

• If that works, then type CHKDSK /R and press the Enter key.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sir, I think we should just quit. It just got worse so I ran system restore a couple of weeks ago. I wished it would go farther back. I'm sorry I couldn't help more ,so I give up. Thanks for your time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my computer is slow and getting slower.I get errors saying the page is not responding and it comes up sometimes and sometimes it will freeze up and I have to start over. I have to tap on my page slide I call it that it moves the page up and down. I have to tap to move and it is slow .It got so bad I couldn't do anything without it messing up bad and I would start over. What is my problem and if you have an answer please tell me

what to do so I can under stand Most of it is me . I can't do much,but I will try.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try what you have told me to. I have trouble with the paste part. Also running the chkdsk I haven't got it to run. Then it told me no access .I didn't know what to do.I would like for you to take over my computer an work on it.
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
This is very important:
Please try again.

-----

-----

• For Windows 7 or Vista:
  • Type CHKDSK and press the Enter key.

-----

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

-----
    Right-click with the mouse on the text and choose SELECT ALL.
    Then go to the justanswer window, right-click the mouse button and select PASTE so I can see the results.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\foots>CHKDSK
Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges.
You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode.

C:\Users\foots>

I didn't get this the first few times but I didn't know how to paste it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sir, I don't know any more informatiom. Since I did the restore it is better. It has been slow, not running right ,since I bought it. I'll try what ever you want me to do. We could try to get to chkdsk another way.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • Well you are getting better.
  • At least you know how to do the copy and paste.

-----

• Try again, but pay careful attention to part 2.

Part 1

Part 2

• Right-click the CMD icon with the mouse and select Run As Administrator.

Part 3

• Type CHKDSK and press the Enter key.

Part 4

• Wait for the procedure to complete.

• Do not schedule yet.

-----

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Windows\system32>CHKDSK

C:\Windows\system32>

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

C:\Windows\system32>CHKDSK
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is Acer.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
177920 file records processed.
File verification completed.
180 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
50 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
230714 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
177920 file SDs/SIDs processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
26398 data files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
33851352 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

XXXXXXXXX KB total disk space.
44293544 KB in 129637 files.
81760 KB in 26399 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
288963 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
XXXXXXXXX KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
74184447 total allocation units on disk.
63018381 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Windows\system32>

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
What is your antivirus program?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
McAfee internet security suite and Microsoft Security Essentials
Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
Is it only slow on the internet or are any other programs slow?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

they maybe some, but I'm usually on the internet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I just saw this ,but I don't have any more info. I am waiting for you to tell me something to do. So far all we have don is run chkdsk. and I don't know what it said.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
  • What is the model number of your acer?
  • Is it a netbook?

-----

• Can you give me an example of a site that is slow for you when you use firefox?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's running good thank you. Send me the rate chart and I will fill it out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I want you to know I had a 4G computer now I have a 3G . Does that make that much

Difference? Tell me if we are finished.

Expert:  romr2009 replied 2 years ago.
No.
4G is not available in most areas.

romr2009, Computer Hardware Engineer