Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I get a white screen when when I start up my computer

Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for using JustAnswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am glad to assist you today.

Regarding the white screen, do you normally hear a single beep before the white screen appears? Or the system does not beep once (which is normal when the screen is working) when the white screen appears?

Also, is the problem computer a laptop or a desktop?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Michael, thank you for writing back.

Is the problem computer a desktop?
Is it still covered by warranty? (If the procedures require opening the desktop's case, the warranty stickers may be broken voiding the warranty.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it is
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for that information.

Please give me a moment while I type the answer and the procedures that you can do.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

just checking my paper files please wait

Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for waiting.

The scenario that you are experiencing with your desktop can be caused by 2 things: 1) hardware fault, and/or 2) software glitches

Since I believe that the computer is still covered by warranty, we cannot try the troubleshooting of the hardware side since opening the computer case may tear warranty stickers that will then void your warranty.

On the software issue, please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is clean and optimized.

Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the cleanup, please test if the problem is gone. If the problem continues, please disable the startup programs and services to make your system boot faster.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and test if the problem is gone

The hardware part of the problem, which we cannot touch as of this time because of possible voiding of warranty, is simply to remove the RAM or memory modules or sticks and then cleaning the golden pins of the memory sticks to remove corrosion that causes hardware failure at boot time. But if the condition of your computer will become stable after the software procedures that I gave you, then you may not continue with the hardware part (cleaning of the RAM sticks) since it may void your warranty.

I hope that helped. Keep me posted with your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer