lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.
16528259

I cant access Google from Internet Explorer. iGoogle is my

I can't access Google from Internet Explorer. iGoogle is my home page and I have gmail so I'm having to go to take a backroad through Yahoo to get my email and websites. When I click on Internet Explorer I get a message saying Internet Explorer cannot access Google and is looking for a resolution - no resolution comes and when I cancel the message it starts a loop running the same message over and over. I can't think of any updates or changes I've made since this started two days ago. I ran my security program and there were no viruses, etc. I can get Google Earth - just not Google or iGoogle. I have reached the limit of my technical knowledge (mediocre at best) and could use your expert knowledge to get my Google back on track.
Category: Computer
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Sees like a DNS issue.

Please try this

In Internet Explorer, click Tools. If you don't see the menu, press Alt on your keyboard to show menus.
Select Delete Browsing History.
Select the checkbox next to "Temporary Internet Files."
Click Delete.
It can take several minutes for the cache history to be deleted. Once the files have been deleted, click Okay.

Next restart internet explorer and try to access google.

Let me know the results.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure how to restart IE entirely without losing this page.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Bookmark this page (press CTRL+D) or just loginback to justanswer.com and visit your my questions page.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is still there - when I restarted Internet Explorer, I got the message again. Here it is exactly: " INTERNET EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." The solution was things I already tried, like "Retry access."
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Ok.

Click the Start->all Programs.
Select Accessories.
right click Command Prompt and select run as adminstrator.
Type 'ipconfig /flushdns' (without quotes).
Press Enter on your keyboard.

Restart system n check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry - it's still coming back with the same "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Are you on a different computer now?

Please try this : click start search .in search box type inetcpl.cpl and press enter.

Internet options will appear..GO to advanced tab and select reset.

Launch Internet explorer after that

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'm on the same computer. Sorry for the interruptions between your answers - I'm the sole caretaker for an elderly individual and I'm in the process of getting him up and dressed and fed and I'm coming back to see your answers and try them in between helping him. Maybe it looks like I'm on another computer because I'm using his Yahoo address to get me to the website since I can't access my Google webpage.

I need some clarification for the latest instruction - it starts "Click start search". Is this the search box that comes up for Google or Yahoo or is there a place in Windows I go for this? (As I said, my computer skills are rather mediocre.)

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
No problem..please take your time.

I am referring to the start or the windows button on the bottom left corner of screen

When you clik it the white search for programs and file appears..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - before I hit the reset button I got a warning that it would reset all my computer settings to the original condition (including security, etc) and that I may want to just reset certain ones. Should I be selecting specific ones to reset?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
NOt to worry..

It will just reset internet explorer to defaults.

You can reset google and igoogle back to homepage after you reset.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did the inetcpl.cpl and the reset and then launched IE again - and got the same thing - it tried to pull up the iGoogle site (should it have done this if it was reset?) and I got the same "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message.

I have to take care of my elderly patient for the next few hours - can I get back to you then?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Yes sure.

Bookmark this page (press CTRL+D) to return back to me latter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I finally made it back (he has a blind dog also so the two of them keep me hopping).

Where do we go from here?

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
he message you receive is usually caused by an add-on to IE.

Click on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools, and click Internet Explorer no Add-ons.

Can you launch IE ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry for the delay - we had a storm Sunday and lost power and Monday was all about doctor appointments - just got back to my computer.

IE starts to launch - it starts pulling up iGoogle (my home page) and just before the home page is finished I get the "Internet Explorer Has Stopped Working" message. Sometimes the home page will be just about finished and I'll think the problem is gone and other times it will display the message as soon as the home page starts up.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.

Some thing seems to be interfering with IE and causing it to crash.

Try this:

Click Start

• Type msconfig into the search field .Press Enter on your keyboard
  • Click Continue on the User Account Control (If prompted)
  • Go to startup tab and uncheck all items except antivirus.Click apply-> OK
  • Click Restart Now

Next launch IE and check.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did the msconfig routine above - still getting the "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message

Question: Should I go back in on msconfig and recheck everything I unchecked?

Another question: I've heard from several people that there are problems caused by some Microsoft updates. On Microsoft Answers there was a question about network connectivity problems when Update for Microsoft Windows KB2718704 was installed. I had this update installed on 6/4/12, just about the time I started having problems.

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Yes..you can enable them back.

meanwhile please do a system restore .click start-All programs->accessories->system tools->system restore.

Restore to a date before which the problem started.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still can't get Google from IE. I did the restore to a date before I got the Windows update (KB2718704). However, when I closed it out Windows automatically installed 12 updates which is the same number of updates for KB2718704. Different KB number this time but awfully coincidental. Can I disable the update and try it again to see if it works? If so, what do I do about the disabled updates later on - will Microsoft issue a revised update if there are numerous problems?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still can't get Google from IE. I did the restore to a date before I got the Windows update (KB2718704). However, when I closed it out Windows automatically installed 12 updates which is the same number of updates for KB2718704. Different KB number this time but awfully coincidental. Can I disable the update and try it again to see if it works? If so, will Microsoft update every time I shut down my computer?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.

Can you access other websites in IE?

Also please download and install firefox into the system

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

Tell me if you can access google and igoggle through firefox.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able to access other website in IE - just not google or igoogle.

When I clicked on the firefox address I kept getting the message "Firefox - no result" so I input it manually. It's loaded now and I can access google and igoogle from it.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

Type https://www.google.com into internet explorer manually.

What happens ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I type www.google.com into internet explorer manually I get the same message: "Internet Explorer has stopped working".

Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.

Please reset ie. While resetting put a check mark near to delete personal settings.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I get to the Reset IE page?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
click Start. Type the following command in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER:
inetcpl.cpl

The Internet Options dialog box appears.
Click the Advanced tab.
Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset. Then click Reset again.

Click to select the Delete personal settings check box
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK - IE has been reset.
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
Does the problem still persist i.e Does ie still crash while opening google?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You fixed it! I can open google from IE now. However, I think my best bet is to use Firefox as my default browser. What do you think?
Expert:  lifesaver replied 2 years ago.
You can use either internet explorer or firefox.

I like firefox because is it faster,stable and more secure.

lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Engineering degree in Computer science,Microsoft Certified Professional.JA computer expert.