Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I hear my hard drive speed up and slow down and speed up and

I hear my hard drive speed up and slow down and speed up and slow down constantly. What caises this and is there a fix> I installed a 1.5 tera byte heard drive, the other one I had was doing the same thing, and I replaced it before I thought it would ctash.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

Don't worry, this is normal and is a way the hard drive functions. Make sure that you don't have any disc in your CD Drive as you might be getting a sound from there too.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is NOT normal! Have had this computor for over 10 years before replacing the first hard drive. First hard drive did the same, I would hear it speed up and stay at that loud speed, got very loud, that's why I replaced it. Friend said the hard drive was going . Never got this loud of sound before, and on graphic games will cause a lot of lag and sometimes freeze up the computer.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

What is the make n model of the computer

How many internal fans are installed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
make: HP Pavillion Media Center a1530n by HP
no other fans added, stock tower
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

How many internal fans are present in the tower ? .... cpu, graphics, etc

When was the last you got the tower serviced ... or the fans replaced / cleaned up ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cleaned the inside of the tower , when I replaced the hard drive, approximately 2 months ago You think it is a dirty fan causing this sound? and that the hard drive might be over heating or something?

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

The varying sound that you are referring to is most likely to be of the internal fans (cpu, graphics, exhaust) or power supply fan ... in the tower.

The hard drive will immediately die if it is making such weird sounds. If your computer is getting slow at times, it could be because of overheating of cpu or graphics or some other chipset on motherboard.

You should get all the internal fans replaced, the heatsinks cleaned up .... and better that the complete motherboard is cleaned up to remove all dust that can cause overheating.