Jamie Lee
Jamie Lee, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ computer technician for over 10 years. Other certs include: MS Office,Windows,Networking.

I have a Samsung Monitor SyncMaster SA300. I switched computers

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Monitor SyncMaster SA300. I switched computers & cannot get a display on the monitor. The blue light is on. The computer is a Dell. How do I get a display

Steve Schuster
Category: Computer
Expert:  lordnomi replied 2 years ago.

lordnomi :

Hi

lordnomi :

seems like the display resolution

lordnomi :

please plug in the old monitor and set the resolution to 1024 x 768

lordnomi :

then connect the new monitor

lordnomi :

and adjust the resolution easily displays on your new monitor

Customer:

Sorrry for the delay . The computer I want the Samsung Display has a Windows 7 home edition & is a Dell Inspiron. I assume I will want a new resolution

lordnomi :

thats right

lordnomi :

but check the maximum supported by your monitor

lordnomi :

may be its going beyond the limit thus not displaying anything

Customer:

Not sure I understand.

lordnomi :

do you have old monitor

lordnomi :

which was working fine with computer?

Customer:

Yes. I'm using that on the new computer system

lordnomi :

from the remote are u switching to vga mode?

lordnomi :

or to pc?

lordnomi :

you will have to change it to use with computer

lordnomi :

it wont throw display automatically

lordnomi :

press the third button from the right it will changes the source from DVi to VGA connection

Customer:

I assume that I use the old monitor to set the display. Don't know which I used but made the change based on the XP & not windows 7

lordnomi :

did you try to switch to VGA mode

lordnomi :

as mentioned earlier?

Customer:

The Vga is in the computer or the monitor?

Customer:

Don't I need data for Windows 7

Customer:

Resolution Data. Is it different than XP

lordnomi :

no you dont need resolution data

lordnomi :

you need to change the mode to vga on your monitor

lordnomi :

you will see it in its remote

lordnomi :

lordnomi :

is the cable properly connected?

Customer:

I did that several times before when I had the Samsung connected to the new computer. Nothing happened. Yes it was

lordnomi :

change it to vga mode

lordnomi :

make sure cabled are properly connected

lordnomi :

and restart computer

Customer:

I need to hook it up to the old computer, otherwise we can't talk.

I did what you said. Hit the third the right & restarted the computed . No display. Hit button again. Nothing

Customer:

Which mode - analog or digital

lordnomi :

digital

Customer:

In digital. No other display.

Customer:

There is menu button. But does not seem to work.

lordnomi :

do you remember the resolution of your old monitor?

Customer:

Sorry, I don't . I reset it to 1024 768

lordnomi :

good

lordnomi :

still if it does not show then i am afraid its cabling issue

Customer:

I can switch cables & see

lordnomi :

please and keep it to vga mode

Customer:

Ok. Will go off for a few minutes

lordnomi :

ok

Customer:

I made the switch with the cables. No change. The Samsung cable is now in use with the old monitor.

lordnomi :

i dont think i have much to add now

lordnomi :

i will opt-out for other experts to help you

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I will require to break the connection. I will reconnect tomorrow. Steve Schuster

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
There are multiple input connections on that monitor. You can select between them, make sure you are connected to the correct one and use the menu on the monitor to change between them.

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
There are only two (2) connections on the monitor. The cable is properly connected. While the monitor is on (get a brief display for digital or analog)the menu is not displayed.
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to try to help out...what is your dell computers model? Also did you buy the samsung new? and the dell computer...is it brand new? had the dell functioned with any other monitors? and do you still have your previous computer and does it work with the new samsung?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Dell is an Inspiron with windows 7 & was new & received yesterday. The Samsung monitor was purchased new about 3-months ago. It worked fine on another Dell machine.
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
there should be more to the new dell's model ...example dell insperion 6550 or something like that...it should be on the computers case somewhere....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The Samsung monitor does not work on another Dell, with windows XP. The previous Dell (replaced) had Windows XP.

Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
interesting...you said that it worked on the previous dell with xp? does that mean you have 3 dells? also does the monitor currently work with anything? and do you still have the cd that came with the samsung
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Dell Inspiron is a 620. I have looked for the CD & found it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The Samsung currently does not run on any computer. I have only two Dells now
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
try this...hook up the dell and samsung...turn on the samsung then the computer...then on the samsung press the third button from the right and try to change the source from DVi to VGA connection. analog/digital...if that doesn't work...the samsung should have come with a white plugged cable..can you use that instead of the blue vga cable..please rememer that you should power down the pc and monitor before unplugging/plugging in the vid cables

Remember, if for any reason you’re unsatisfied, we can continue our conversation until you’ve received the information you’re looking for. If I haven’t answered your question, please let me know and I’ll be happy to answer any other follow-up questions you might have.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the Samsung CD. Anything further?
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
not sure if your getting my posts..can i call you? if you do..email me
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX replace the at with @
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jamie Lee, I have followed the procedures & no display. The buttons, except for the on/off do not seem to respond. The white cable was not supplied with the monitor.
Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
maybe we can test the computer with your tv...see if you have a vga (blue) port on the back of the tv...also I am sure that your samsung came with a dvi plug..please double check the box ect if you still have it. Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Jamie Lee

I had no luck with the new cable & slot. Clearly it is a mechanical problem with the Samsung. I believe there is a year limited guaranty, so I expect to return the screen to Samsung for repair. I was able to find an older Dell monitor which is working fine. Steve

Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
yeah I was hoping it was just vga mode but when you told me it was attached to a computer that crashed I was worried that it might have been fried at the same time as the computer....at least you have a spare monitor to use while you are waiting on your samsung. :) In the future if you don't already do this make sure that your computer and monitor are plugged into a surge protector. If you were already using one I would check to make sure its working ok because its very rare for a monitor and a computer to both die simultaniously unless it is power surge related.

Expert:  Jamie Lee replied 2 years ago.
Please remember to click the accept button to credit me with answering your question...ps positive feedback is greatly appreciated ;) And if you ever need me again you can ask me questions directly here http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-pcfixitall/ Have a great evening Smile and thank you for using justanswer

Jamie Lee, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ computer technician for over 10 years. Other certs include: MS Office,Windows,Networking.