technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science

Cant receive calls on my magicjackplus.

Customer Question

Can't receive calls on my magicjackplus.
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Is this a NEW install of magic jack, or were you previously able to receive the calls?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NEW install. sometimes calls can be received maybe 5% of the time
On the calling side, what happens when you call the number? Does it just ring, but not ring on your side of the phone, or does it go to voicemail?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get a recording. It says that the magicjack customer you are trying to reach is not available.
1) Are you using a cable or DSL connection?
2) What brand/model router do you have the MJ plugged into?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Belkin F9k1001v1

Try plugging the MJ+ directly into your DSL. If this solves the problem , let me know. Your router may be incomatible , or need some settings changed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No way to plug it into DSL without breaking connection from DSL to computer.
I'm pretty sure the point of the MJ PLUS is to be able to do just that. So, just try it. I understand you'll need to solve the router problem so you can share your net connection, but this step is necessary to make sure the router is the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had to buy a router to be able to connect the MJ plus to the DSL without going thru the computer. No way to keep computer connected to DSL without using a router.
Yes, I understand that, but as I said this is just for TESTING. Unplug the router from the DSL modem, Plug the MJ directle into the dsl modem, and test. Then, hook it back up as it was before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I plugged the MJplus into the DSL. It didn't work. When I plugged it back into the router I could receive calls. This is typical whenever I tinker with the system I can get calls for a few minutes then I can't get them anymore. Its likely that in a few minutes I won't be able to receive calls again.
You may have your DSL in a "bridged" mode because it's hooked to your router. Unfortunately, this could cause problems. If you know how to undo and redo the bridge model on your DSL, I would do so and test the MJ direct again.

See, a DSL modem is also in most cases a ROUTER itself. So you are going through basically two routers there, and there are many reports that MJ has trouble with even one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know anything about a bridged mode.
Do you only have ONE computer in your house, or do you use a laptop or other computers with your router ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a laptop. The MJ is connected to my desktop.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The MJ doesn't work even if it is plugged into just the computer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are we done?
That's a different problem on the computer. If you are happy without using the MJ without the computer, why not try getting a REGULAR majic jack? This way you could see if your device is faulty as well.

I was asking about one computer, because if you have router/firewall issues you really need to test the plus while plugged directly into your net connection as your router could be blocking it. If you tell me the DSL modem and your service, I may be able to provide instructions to get the device in/out of bridge mode so you can test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got the MJ plus so I wouldn't have to leave my computer on all the time.

The DSL modem is from Century Link and is a 660 series.

The only way I'm aware to "debridge" that DSL modem is to use the reset button on the unit. If you want to try, first plug your computer directly into the dsl modem, and then restart the computer. Verify if you do or do not have net access this way. If you do, then the dsl may not be in bridge mode and there may still be an issue with the MJ. If you do not have access, then you are likely in bridge mode (for your router).

In the case you do not have internet access direct to the dsl, you can try pushing and holding the reset button on your DSL modem for about 30 seconds. Then, restart your computer. You may have to login with your DSL user name and password XXXXX you do this. Once you can verify you have net access from the computer direct to the dsl, then try the mj direct to the dsl and see if it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I plugged my computer directly into the dsl modem and restarted the computer. I had internet access.

I then plugged the MJ directly to the dsl and tried to call in on my cell phone. it still did not work.

Have you tried logging in and checking your accont status at :

Please do this just to make sure. The message you are getting is very general and usually tied to some sort of block on the net connection. At this point I only have a few more options:

1) Try a new , regular magic jack
2) Login to your magic jack account and check status
3) If you get a new device and it doesn't work, try to contact your ISP about possible blocks they may be doing to stop magic jack or similar device.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
My problem was not solved.