TaylorTech
TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience:  6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
13888338

forgot my password XXXXX unlocking my WD external hard drive

Customer Question

forgot my password XXXXX unlocking my WD external hard drive How can I unlock it without loosing all my data saved?
Category: Computer
Expert:  TaylorTech replied 2 years ago.

TaylorTech :

Hiya, My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you with your issue today. I will help you to the best of my ability.

Customer:

Ok,

TaylorTech :

This has worked for me a few times to remove the hdd password XXXXX an external drive. Please try to do the following.
1) Restart your computer. Note that during computer restart, the screen goes blank for 3 to 5 seconds. Text then appears and the OS boots up.
2) As soon as the first text lines appear on the screen, press the "Del" key on your keyboard to enter the BIOS setup
3) Navigate to "Security" in the BIOS menu using the arrow keys on your keyboard
4) Navigate to the option "Hard Disk User Password" and press "Enter
5) Navigate to a hard drive, press "Enter" and select "Disable" to remove the hard drive password.
6) Press "F10" to save and exit the BIOS settings. Computer booting resumes.

TaylorTech :

This is the only solution that has worked for me, the other that im aware of involves formatting the drive so it can be used again.

Customer:

trying it

TaylorTech :

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX really hope it works in your case

TaylorTech :

One more method we can try is using a recovery program to get the data off of the drive THEN proceed to format to remove the password.

TaylorTech :

It may or may not work

TaylorTech :

Its possible

TaylorTech :

www.recovermyfiles.com

Customer:

still trying first method pc is a bit slow

TaylorTech :

Once its downloaded it should auto detect your external drive, see if it is able to recover the entire drive on the free scan, if so, you will need to purchase the program and save all the data to your current hard drive.

TaylorTech :

Yes no problem at all

TaylorTech :

Just want to give you as much info as possible to help you best I can without formatting and losing the lot

Customer:

having issue getting to bios

TaylorTech :

Your computer may be different, try F2 instead. Often the screen will give you an indication as to which button it is on your particular system

Customer:

finaly in bios

Customer:

cant find security

Customer:

has something called oassword check

TaylorTech :

Ok what is contained in that menu?

TaylorTech :

You may not have the correct bios setup that is needed to carry out this particular procedure

Customer:

giggagyte cmos

Customer:

mb intelligent tweaker st cmos adv bios intergrated perip power mng pc health load fail safe load optimiuze set super passwor

TaylorTech :

Recommend you proceed with step 2, I do not think you have the correct bios to perform step 1

Customer:

set user password

Customer:

k

TaylorTech :

That is just for the bios password. Def proceed with step 2

TaylorTech :

Thanks

Customer:

step two is another fee ?

TaylorTech :

No not at all

TaylorTech :

All advice is under this same fee

TaylorTech :

Unless you mean the program for recovery?

TaylorTech :

Then yes that company will charge for the data recovery

TaylorTech :

ONLY

TaylorTech :

if the scan comes up with the files though

TaylorTech :

You will need to make your decision once the free scan is complete as to whether it found ALL the needed files

TaylorTech :

This same procedure can be done with other companies but will cost between $1500 and $3000 as the norm

Customer:

ha

TaylorTech :

This program is used almost daily to recover drives at my business and I think it costed around $39.99

TaylorTech :

I have had this for quite some time but I think that is the cost

Customer:

not happening !

TaylorTech :

:-) exactly

TaylorTech :

WD actually told my previous customer they would recover there drive for $1500 and if they cant recover it they still keep the money

TaylorTech :

I do the same thing and charge $300 in houston haha

Customer:

unbelievable

TaylorTech :

Yeah, the rich get richer, the poor get poorer

TaylorTech :

That seems to be reality these days

TaylorTech :

Im hoping the scan will let you recover the files bypassing the password

Customer:

it is scanning now I used scan drive was that right it listed my WD passport

Customer:

This looks like it could take a while it is searching 1600 of 91109

TaylorTech :

Yes perfect

TaylorTech :

As long as you found your drive on the list it produced and you chose it for the scan

TaylorTech :

When the scan is complete, go through and take a look at some of the files to make sure they recovered ok on the preview window

TaylorTech :

Once you are happy with what it found, you can recover the info your your internal hard drive or you can use disks

TaylorTech :

AFTER the recover make sure that the recovered files are perfectly accessable as we do not want to format the external only to find out that your important extracted data is corrupted and cant be accessed.

TaylorTech :

That in turn will guarantee to ruin your day!

TaylorTech :

The general rule of that software program is that you cannot recover back to the drive you just recovered from initially, so your internal drive or cd's is the way to go.

Customer:

ok so what next just wait it out

TaylorTech :

Yes wait until the scan finishes - Depending on drive capacity it can take 2 to 6 hours

TaylorTech :

You should be able to see some of the things it has found already correct?

TaylorTech :

If it has found alot of the files already then looks like we can pull this off :-)

TaylorTech :

It takes a long time which is why WD charges a fortune.

Customer:

ok, I cant stay here that long it doesn't show any

Customer:

just that its serching

TaylorTech :

Thats no problem, feel free to get back to me after the scan is complete

TaylorTech :

You should see multiple files found on the left already correct?

TaylorTech :

Should give you an inidication of how many it has found thus far

Customer:

non there so that's a 0

TaylorTech :

Ok, all you can do is let it run its course and see if it finds anything afterwards.

Customer:

Ok how do I contact you without getting charged again

TaylorTech :

The bad thing about your situation is western digital does say in the instructions that if you ever forget your password XXXXX data is non recoverable. After we have tried this method your only option is to format your drive and lose everything or send to WD and they will hack the code for an extortionate amount of money

TaylorTech :

Save this page to your favorites so you can get back to me at any time

TaylorTech :

When you click accept you only get charged one time

TaylorTech :

There after you can come back to this thread and follow up with me and I will not charge any other fees at all

Customer:

I will get someone I no to hack it free ha but do not like doing that Thats why I am here.

TaylorTech :

With the WD drives it can often take hours and hours to get in

TaylorTech :

But yes it can be done with the right person

Customer:

Ok, We'll see if this works.

Customer:

Thanks contact you later

TaylorTech :

I used to do this but now I wont accept drives that have forgotten passwords. The last one I did like that was stolen after 3 days of working on it. So had to keep hold of it and never got paid.

TaylorTech :

ok

Customer:

I here ya

TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience: 6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
Hi I just saw your feedback. Respond to me here and you do not have to pay anymore. Its important you come back to this thread to follow up.

Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The data recovery did not work Thanks for trying
Hi Frank, sorry that it did not work, I suggest you call some local companies in your area who specialize in data recovery and see if they are able to help you at a REASONABLE price. Most companies will tell you its not possible to do with a forgotten password but there are a few that know how to do this successfully.

Thanks Mike