TaylorTech
TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience:  6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
13888338

Cant format a DVD-rw in windows 7. is there a fix?

Customer Question

Can't format a DVD-rw in windows 7. is there a fix?
Category: Computer
Expert:  TaylorTech replied 2 years ago.

TaylorTech :

Hiya, My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you with your issue today. I will help you to the best of my ability.

TaylorTech :

There are several fixes for this problem

TaylorTech :

I will start off with the solution that works most frequently

TaylorTech :

Go to Control Panel then System and Security then Action Center.

There is the option to troubleshoot hardware in your system which often will fix any problem with the drive quickly

TaylorTech :

If this does not work for you, I can go through a procedure which bypasses the windows cd/dvd support by disabling it and using a trusted 3rd party program instead or there are other fixes we can apply to fix the existing problem with the software/hardware if you would prefer.

Customer:

I tried that...it did not work. is there a patch from microsoft?

prefer a windows fix

TaylorTech :

Are you actually getting any error messages?

TaylorTech :

Or does it appear to be formatting and just isnt?

TaylorTech :

also can you confirm that these steps were followed

TaylorTech :

1. Insert a recordable or rewritable disc into your computer's CD, DVD, or Blu‑ray Disc burner.

2. In the AutoPlay dialog box that appears, click Burn files to disc using Windows Explorer.

3. Type a name for your disc in the Disc title box.

4. Click one of the following formatting options:

• Like a USB flash drive

The disc will use the Live File System format.

• With a CD/DVD player

The disc will use the Mastered format.

5. Click Next to prepare the disc.

Customer:

whatv ever i try it says windows unable to complete format

TaylorTech :

Have you tried other disks with the same result?

TaylorTech :

Just need to isolate if it is just this disk or all

Customer:

yes,iv'e tried DVD-R and it works ok. DVD-RW fails

TaylorTech :

What is the method you are using to format?

Customer:

like a flash drive

TaylorTech :

Have you tried to format using disk management and also have you formatted DVD-RW disks before on that machine?

TaylorTech :

Some drives do not allow this

TaylorTech :

If you would like, I can try to look up your drive spec and see if thats the case

TaylorTech :

Hybrid drives that can handle both, often labeled "DVD±RW"

Customer:

I have not used disk management. my drive is a memorex dual layer 16x. I was able to use dvd-rw in xp before.

Customer:
TaylorTech :

I see so you have upgraded to windows 7 and since then aren't able to format that kind?

Customer:

That's right. windows 7 is the problem.

TaylorTech :

Having said that, you may want to go to the device manager and check your device to see if it has a yellow question mark against it which shows out of date or missing driver.

TaylorTech :

If it does you can right click it and select update driver

TaylorTech :

I have only really seen this problem in the past with a cd burner that was not 100% compatible with windows 7 as expected

TaylorTech :

Its very possible you may have to resort to using other software to perform the function you need

TaylorTech :

Even then it may not work if the drive isnt fully compatible but would recommend to try

TaylorTech :

Your basically looking at one of these :

TaylorTech :

1/ Drive is not fully compatible

TaylorTech :

2/ Driver needs updating

TaylorTech :

3/ Drive has malfunctioned (Hardware)

Customer:

Thanks. I willkeeplooking for a fix

Customer:
TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience: 6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
Did you manage to locate your drive in device manager and see the status?

Thanks Mike

FYI Sorry the chat kept malfunctioning and would let me respond when i needed to :-(