BrianPKelly
BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience:  A+, 10 Years Experience
33460957

I am connected to wifi but cannot connect to the Internet.

I am connected to wifi but cannot connect to the Internet. My bit home hub is working fine with other computers but on my laptop it says no Internet access. Any clues
Category: Computer
Expert:  BrianPKelly replied 2 years ago.

BrianPKelly :

Hi there, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you today.

BrianPKelly :

It sounds like you definietely got something goingon on your laptop. Id be happy to walk you through some troubleshooting to figure ouyt what it is

BrianPKelly :

First thing, do you know if the wireless is saying it is connected but just not giving you internet access or if it says it is not even connected?

Customer: It's definitely connected to the hub. It says so and shoe
BrianPKelly :

ok do this for me

BrianPKelly :

Go to start\ all programs\ accessories\ and run

BrianPKelly :

in the box type cmd

BrianPKelly :

and hit eneter

BrianPKelly :

in the new black window type "ping google.com" without the quotations and hit enter and tell me what it says

Customer: ping request could not find host google.com
BrianPKelly :

ok in the same window type "ipconfig" and tell me the numbers it gives you under ip address

Customer: 192.168.1.76 under ipv4 address
BrianPKelly :

ok try "ping 4.2.2.2"

Customer: Sent 4 received 4 lost 0
BrianPKelly :

ok were narrowing it down now

BrianPKelly :

do "ipconfig /all" and tell me what it says under dns server

Customer: It says description Microsoft ISATAP adapter address 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 E0 dchp enabled no auto configuration yes
BrianPKelly :

ok can you tell me who you get your internet through?

Customer: Btinternet
BrianPKelly :

perfect ok I see the issue, now lets see if we can fix it

BrianPKelly :

Go to start\ control panel

BrianPKelly :

view network status and tasks

BrianPKelly :

in the new window click change adapter settings on the left

BrianPKelly :

let me know when you get to that point and we will proceed

Customer: ok
BrianPKelly :

ok do you see your wireless adapter listed (should say connected), right click on that and choose properties

Customer: Ok
BrianPKelly :

highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 and choose properties

Customer: Ok
BrianPKelly :

Which is selected "Obtain DNS server automatically" or "Use the following..."

Customer: Obtain an ip address automatically is selected currently
BrianPKelly :

ok at the bottom (not the ip address fields but the DNS ones), choose "Use the Following DNS Server addresses"

BrianPKelly :

For preferred DNS put 194.73.73.172

Customer: Yep that's highlighted already
BrianPKelly :

oh whats in the fields

BrianPKelly :

the numbers?

Customer: 192.168.47.254
BrianPKelly :

ok lets change that to 194.73.73.172

BrianPKelly :

and for secondary lets put 4.2.2.2

BrianPKelly :

Then click ok

BrianPKelly :

and then click close in the other windows

Customer: Ok done that
BrianPKelly :

ok try to open up an internet window and see if anything has changed

Customer: Yipee we have google!
BrianPKelly :

Great!

BrianPKelly :

Yeah it looks like you had a DNS issue

BrianPKelly :

which basically means

BrianPKelly :

you were connected to the internet and could communicate via numeric address but not by name (IE google.com)

BrianPKelly :

Im glad that helped

Customer: Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you guys just charge me now and we are done?
BrianPKelly :

Yeah you should see just the one charge and you can accept if you would like to give me individually credit for the answer (which is always nice, ha)

BrianPKelly :

Beyond that, that's it!

BrianPKelly :

and by accept I mean the accept button

BrianPKelly, Consultant
Experience: A+, 10 Years Experience