Charles A. Roberts
Charles A. Roberts, PC Tech
Experience:  2 year degree from ITT Technical Institute.

My pc will no longer recognise my iomega external drive. I do not have the disc, i sat on

Customer Question

My pc will no longer recognise my iomega external drive.
I do not have the disc, i sat on it and it broke in two .... stop laughing!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.

IT_Help :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.

IT_Help :

Do you install the perfect software

IT_Help :

If yes plug it again--> Can you see the lights?

IT_Help :

Hear any sound?

IT_Help :

If not please plug it to another computer.

Customer :

I plugged it into my laptop, which used to recognise it. It doesn`t now.

IT_Help :

Please check it to another computer.

Customer :

The drive has sound and lights on, all seems normal except my pc will not read it.

Customer :

I did, i plugged it into my reserve laptop, it doesn`t work.

IT_Help :

ok.

IT_Help :

oh..

IT_Help :

Ok.

Customer :

Just the other day it workd on my pc and the laptop. Now it won`t recognise it.

IT_Help :

connect to your laptop

IT_Help :

or pc.

Customer :

It`s now connected to my pc.

IT_Help :

If your OS is win XP please let me know.

Customer :

Yes it`s windows xp home edition, 32 bit.

IT_Help :

ok.

IT_Help :

Right click on My computer--> manage--> Storage--> Disc management

IT_Help :

Can you see your external drive there?

Customer :

No it`s not there, just my C drive.

IT_Help :

Unplug it then replug it again.

Customer :

ok

IT_Help :

Can you hear the sound?

Customer :

Yes it`s running, the light is on and i can hear it.

IT_Help :

Click on Start and then Run.

Type the following command in the Open: text box, and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK button.

devmgmt.msc

Customer :

Ok i`ve done that.

IT_Help :

Click on disc drivers

IT_Help :

*drives

Customer :

I have device manager open.

IT_Help :

now click on disc drives

Customer :

Ok, done.

IT_Help :

Can you see there?

Customer :

No it`s not there, just the default microsoft driver.

IT_Help :

ok.

IT_Help :

Do You have another pc?

Customer :

I have a laptop.

IT_Help :

Did you tried there?

Customer :

Yeh but i can try it again, give me a few minutes please.

IT_Help :

ok.

Customer :

Ok it`s not showing up on the laptop.

IT_Help :

I suggest you to change usb cable

Customer :

Yeh i`ve already changed the cables. Look, thank you for your help but this is a waste of time. I don`t expect to be charged, if i am you`ll be hearing from my solicitor.

Customer :

Thank you for trying.

IT_Help :

- there's probably nothing wrong with the external enclosure you have now, unless you have dropped it or have similarly exposed it to a physical event

- there's probably nothing wrong with the hard drive inside the external enclosure, unless you have dropped the external enclosure, or the hard drive when it wasn't in it, or have similarly exposed it to a physical event.
You can test the hard drive itself , regardless of whether you can presently access the data on it in My Computer or Windows Explorer
- when it's in the external enclosure , if the external enclosure circuits are being detected correctly (see next) . E.g. Seagate's Windows version of SeaTools will test any brand of hard drive.
- when the hard drive has been removed and connected properly internally to a desktop or laptop computer , by using bootable hard drive diagnostics - e.g. Seagate's bootable versions of SeaTools will test any brand of hard drive. (DO NOT boot from your hard drive on a different computer - usually the XP OS on it will NOT load normally in that case.)

- you STILL must be plugging it into (a) USB port(s) that can supply 500ma and that also work(s) properly with the drive AND the USB cable(s) you use must be adequate. If it's a 3.5" external drive, you MUST plug the external power adapter that came with it into the external enclosure. In some cases, you may need to use TWO USB connections on the computer end with a 2.5" external drive, or one USB connection and an external power adapter plugged into the external enclosure.

If all of those things are sufficient...........
- when you plug in or unplug the USB cable, when your sound is on so you can hear it, you will hear the sound for plugging in or unplugging a USB device (similar to dong ding, ding dong) .
-- the external drive's internal hard drive model will show up in Device Manager under Disk drives, and the external enclosure will show up there under USB controllers as a Mass Storage device .

- you may STILL not be able to see the data on the hard drive in My Computer or Windows Explorer, on ANY computer, if the data on the hard drive is damaged - the most common cause of that is unplugging the external hard drive when Windows is running without clicking on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your taskbar and choosing to STOP accessing the drive, BEFORE you unplug it - usually that data damage can be easily fixed by using a program that can repair the damage and you will then be able to see it there.

Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Charles A. Roberts replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com I am sorry that you are having a problem and I will be more than glad to help you with the best of my ability. Ok so what disk exactly did you sit on?