Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec

My computer is stuck in sleep mode and will not boot up. Moniter

My computer is stuck in sleep mode and will not boot up. Moniter gets small box open that says going into sleep mode. Dell Inspiron Vista upgraded to Win 7 64 bit It does have power to the tower but no lights on Power button on tower??????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 1 year ago.

Brad :

This is most likely not a sleep issue. The sleep message could be the monitor saying it is sleeping and not the tower.

Brad :

The way to troubleshoot this is to take everything off the computer.

Brad :

The problem is most likey a power supply issue.

Brad :

If it is still under warranty have it serviced.

Brad :

i know that is not what you want to hear

Brad :

but the give away is the lack of lights showing up on the tower

Brad :

You can get generic replacement power supplies from stores

Brad :

they are not hard to replace

Customer:

Not under warranty. We did take everything off the all in one printer and the xternal hard drive and skype

OK but there are lights in the back just the button on front of tower case will not light up also before when it did boot it was very long time coming out of sleep mode????

Customer:
Brad :

What is the model of the computer

Brad :

you said that it was a dell

Brad :

if you dont have the model can you list the service code

Customer:

I can't boot with dvd as drawer will not open

Customer:

I have a serv. tag # XXXXX the comp.s

is down stairs and I cannot do steps

Brad :

There are three voltages that come from the power unit. If you loose one of them the it wont work

Customer:

518 CPU7300iNTEL CORE 2 duo

ok so if power supply is changed then it should boot??

Brad :

yes

Brad :

if you have best buy or another store like that you can get a new power supply

Brad :

if you post the service tag number I can tell you what to get

Customer:

My husband did chk it with his meter also he was a appl repairman for GE before he retired Now if we do that and it does not boot I guess that means big problems???OK I will try that Serv tag SPD5JG1 and could you email this info also as I am using my laptop but no printer.

Brad :

hang on

Brad :

That service tag is not found. Can you advise what number inspiron it is

Brad :

Checking the voltages as your husband did is tricky on a computer

Brad :

you should use a special meter made just for that

Brad :

there are many contacts on the connector

Brad :

and some of them dont have a voltage present until a signal comes back from the motherboard

Customer:

ok 518 Express Serv. code XXXXXXXXXXX /p>

ok IC I will let him know Both #s should be good I was on Dell site to check @ it and used them

Brad :

This site wont let you post long numbers It thinks it is a phone number

Brad :

so you would have to stretch it out like T H I S to show it

Brad :

If you were able to plug that number in on the dell site then it lists all the equipment installed and it would show the power supply probably listed at PSU and the wattage.

Customer:

OK we will try the power supply which is the next step we thought would need done also. Thank you

OK will look that up again. do you suggest we buy it from thgem?

Brad :

or you can call best buy etc and just tell them the model like inspiron 7100 etc and they can check for power supplies for it

Brad :

depends on how soon you want it

Brad :

if you have best buy close to you then go there if you need it soon

Brad :

if you dont need it soon you can order online from www.tigerdirect.com or www.newegg.com

Brad :

or www.microcenter.com

Customer:

Thanks

ok will doThanks again

Brad :

you save a lot of money ordering it online or goi

Brad :

ng to a micro center

Brad :

best of luck

Customer:
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience: 20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Decided to replace the computer with a new one which we did. A friend that works on computers took the other one and will replace the power supply and recover any info

we had in that computer. We will then have a spare. Thank you for confirming what we all decided the problem was.