John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

toshiba satellite a665-s6086 wont start windows, It might

toshiba satellite a665-s6086 won't start windows, It might get to the splash screen or a plack screen window with the cursor flashing. Initally I was reparsing the drive. All seemed
good until the HD copied / repaired the bad segments it fount until It was stuffed full. I erased all the date and now the cursor just flashs.
Any help apprciated,
Hal
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

John :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

Customer:

Hi John

John :

Hello sir,can you please explain what you mean by "Re-parsing"

John :

also how did you do that?

Customer:

I was checking the drive with dskchk

John :

you mean chkdsk (check disk command)?

Customer:

sorry chkdsk. it said it was copping and replacing bad segments and a lot of them!

John :

OK so after that you restarted the system and it went to blinking cursor am i correct

Customer:

Yes, that's all it does.

Customer:

I've tried Hiren's boot disk and can load the dos portion but mini xp won'y load.

John :

OK it seems the hard drive is not functioning any more we can check that.do you have recovery disc/operating system disc?

Customer:

operating disk. win7

Customer:

when I try to install windows it says the HD is incompatable. in the Bios

John :

OK can you access the BIOS now

Customer:

now it just flashes in the upper left corner, black screen and no bios prompt

John :

please do the following

Turn off the laptop completely and disconnect the AC adapter. Remove the battery and press and hold the power button for about 60 seconds. Releases the button insert the battery back in. now plug the adapter back and turn on the computer. See if you can get to bios

Customer:

ok

John :

let me know the status after you have completed that step

Customer:

booting

John :

you mean booting to windows or bios?

Customer:

lol neither just flashing curcor

John :

can you see the Toshiba start-up screen when you turn on the laptop

Customer:

I'm still waiting for the logo that when it says press f2 .......still waiting.

John :

it should have shown immediately after the laptop is turned on

John :

restart and check once again

Customer:

Still waiting for the f2 prompt.

Customer:

no just a flashing cursor on a black screen.

John :

OK please do the following.
Turn off the laptop wait for 5 seconds then turn it on then immediately press F2 key repeatedly (do not wait for the logo) and see if that open the BIOS

Customer:

not yet.....

John :

did you press the F2 key immediately after you turned on the laptop or are you waiting for the F2 prompt?

Customer:

constantly!

John :

i didnt get you sir you mean constantly waiting for the F2 prompt ?

Customer:

constantly pressing the f2 key

Customer:

still flashing

John :

OK then turn off the laptop and then unplug the power cable remove the battery

Customer:

ok done

John :

Can you find the hard drive bay on the bottom of the laptop like this

Full Size Image

Customer:

Ive been there.

John :

can you please remove the hard drive from the hard drive bay ?

Customer:

got it

John :

now plug in the power cable and turn on the laptop and immediately press F2 key

Customer:

k got bios!

Customer:

hdd not installed

John :

that means the hard drive is not functioning and blocking the bios to open.please go to exit menu then select load default settings

John :

then select save and exit which will restart the PC

John :

then turn off the laptop and let me know

Customer:

Splash screen but no HHD. Finally a boot menu. No HHd listed only cd/cvc

Customer:

ok its off

John :

Remove the power adapter then insert the hard drive back in the bay, then insert the battery back in then plug in the power adapter and turn on the laptop then press F2 and see if you can access the bios

Customer:

cursor stopped flashing

John :

Did you press f2 when you turned on the laptop to access the bios

Customer:

yep

John :

OK one last try please insert the operating system disc (windows 7) then turn off the system and wait for 5 seconds then turn it on immediately press the F12 key repeatedly

John :

did you get a boot device list which shows CD/DVD drive,Hard driver etc?

Customer:

I got the f12 prompt while pushing the key. Now the cursor stopped flashinh on a blank screen.

John :

did you get a boot device list which shows CD/DVD drive,Hard driver etc when you pressed the F12 key

Customer:

did not advance from there . cursor frozen.

Customer:

cd/dvd is spinning

Customer:

got it!! s

Customer:

m

Customer:

no hhd

Customer:

no hdd just cd/dvd

John :

select CD/DVD and press enter

John :

if it shows a message to press any key please press a key

John :

immediately

Customer:

k

Customer:

loading files

Customer:

starting windows

John :

OK

John :

did you get a language selection screen?

Customer:

not yet still windows logo

John :

OK

Customer:

now only the pointer

John :

wait for 3 min and see if there is any change

Customer:

k

Customer:

just the cursor. hdd light flashing very slowly

John :

i believe the hard drive is not functioning properly you need to replace it and then use the operating system disc to re-install windows 7.Is this laptop still under warranty

Customer:

no

John :

OK do you know how to re-install windows 7 using the disc ?

Customer:

been doing it for years

John :

OK then you need to replace the drive and then you need to install windows 7.i believe the hard drive that came with the laptop is 500GB

Customer:

correct. thats what i was afraid of,

John :

new 500GB will starts from 50$

John :

Is there any thing else you like to know sir

John :

???

Customer:

.How big should I create the partition for the operating system

John :

do you install all the application in the operating system partition?

John :

For operating system and windows update itself i suggest you create 100 or 120GB partition

John :

also do disc clean up once or twice in a month

John :

John :

If you don't have further questions.Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in the chat page. That’s the only way I get paid for the time and services that I have provided to you
Have a Great God Blessed Day

Customer:

Thanks John

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE