Jess
Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I can get into some websites but not others. I am unable to

I can get into some websites but not others. I am unable to access Hotmail, for example, it just times out. It's been like this for a few days now.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

First, if you are having problem with the internet in the problem computer, I suggest that you download the tools mentioned in the procedures that I will give you using another computer then transfer the files into the problem computer using a USB stick.

Please do the following cleanup procedures to ensure that your computer is safe, clean and optimized. The tools to be used here are free versions and you don't need to buy the commercial versions if you are not using them in corporate computers.

A. Cleanup with CCleaner

NOTE: If you are using a program named Roboform, please do not proceed with CCleaner cleanup. Roboform Data will be removed by CCleaner.

Please download the FREE version of CCleaner from this link:

Download FREE CCleaner Here or this link http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

After you download the free tool, install it and run the scans and tests. By default, it runs CLEANER to cleanup from all system mess which includes all unwanted files, temporary files, temporary internet files, orphaned files and more. Make sure that all this mess that the Cleaner program has detected is removed. This will free up some space in your hard drive while speeding up your system as well.

Next, run REGISTRY Cleaner and fix the found problems. Run this REGISTRY cleaner several times and fix the issues until no issues will be found.

In order to run the Registry cleanup mode, open CCleaner, then look at the left panel of the CCleaner window. Locate and click the Registry link there and that should give you the Registry cleanup mode. Then click on the Scan for issues button. When the scan reached 100%, click FIX issues to remove the errors from your system. Then click the Scan for issues again then FIX whenever issues are still found. When no issues are found, close CCleaner.

After the CCleaner cleanup, proceed to the Malwarebytes cleanup. This will remove malware infection that usually cause the computer to malfunction. Malwares are usually undetected by other antivirus software.

B. Cleanup with Malwarebytes Antimalware

Please download the FREE version of Malwarebyte from this link:

Download FREE Malwarebytes Antimalware Here

After you download it, please install. During the FIRST RUN, when you are prompted for a TRIAL, you can just DECLINE. Then let it UPDATE.

After the updates are installed, please perform a QUICK SCAN. Then REMOVE all malicious files found and restart your computer as part of the removal process.

After the cleanup and the final restart, please check if the problem is gone. If the problem continues, please disable the startup programs and services that could be blocking your browser while accessing various websites.

To disable some programs at startup, please do the following:

1. Click on Start => RUN
  2. You can also get the RUN box by going to Start => All Programs => Accessories => RUN or by simply pressing the Windows Logo key and pressing the letter R (Win Logo + R)
  3. In the RUN box, type this command and click OK: msconfig
  4. You shall see then the System Configuration dialog window
  5. Click on the SERVICES tab
  6. Click to select the option "Hide Microsoft services"
  7. Then click DISABLE ALL button
  8. Then click the STARTUP tab
  9. Then click on DISABLE ALL button
  10. This should disable all listed startup programs at startup so all the checks there should disappear. However, please locate your Antivirus software there and click on it to restore the check mark.
  11. Then click APPLY
  12. Click OK to close the System Configuration window
  13. Restart your computer.
  14. When you are prompted with a pop up window regarding the changes you made with the System Configuration Utility, please cancel it or close it.
  15. Then test if the system is now gaining some speed and see if the problem is gone.

I hope that helped. Please let me know your results so that I can help you further.

Best regards,
Jess

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's looking really good thanks. I am into Hotmail, and I just want to check everything stays OK when I close down and then re-open.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, no, I got into Hotmail for a short time, but the problem is back. I can't get in/
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

Are you saying that you are unable to visit http://hotmail.com? Or you can visit but you can't sign in?

Are you using Firefox?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got in after your first message. As soon as I tried to refresh, it wouldn't let me in again. Have tried it again, and it still won't let me in. Just getting the spinning timer. I am using IE, I think?
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for writing back.

This problem could be related to your Internet Explorer web browser. First, please RESET your IE Settings:

HOW TO RESET YOUR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS
1. Exit all open programs
2. Launch Internet explorer
3. Click on Tools menu
4. Click on Internet Options
5. Click the Advanced tab
6. Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset.
7. Then in the message that pops up, click Reset button again to confirm the action.
8. When Internet Explorer finishes resetting the settings, click Close in the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box.
9. Start Internet Explorer again.

Another way to RESET the IE Settings is through Control Panel.

1. Click Start => Control Panel
2. Locate and click to open Internet Options (If you do not have the Internet Options listed, locate the "View by" selection and see if it is set to Category. Click on it then select SMALL ICONS.
3. When the Internet Options dialog box is shown, click on the ADVANCED tab
4. Look for the RESET button at the bottom part and then click on it.
5. Another window will pop out, click on RESET in that window.
6. Click on Apply
7. Click OK to close
8. Test Internet Explorer again

IMPORTANT: If the problem persists, please try to download, install and use Firefox as an alternative browser. Firefox is FREE. It is a better, safer and faster web browser. Please click on this link to download Firefox:

http://firefox.com

After downloading, install Firefox and use it to browse your sites online then see if the problem is gone.

Best regards,
Jess

Jess, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jess, does this also mean I have to close down our conversation on the internet, because everything else is closed down but it keeps telling me to close down, and won't let me go any further? If so, wouldn't that mean we lose touch?
Expert:  Jess replied 2 years ago.
Yes, you need to close ALL windows including this page where we communicate.

First, please bookmark this page or add to favorites so that you can get back to me easily. Also, you can click on the link in the email that you receive from JustAnswer.com to get back to me in this page.

Regards,
Jess