Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
59162784

RA - RB

Customer Question

I get an error code 0x80070005 when i try to restore my computer to a previous state in normal mode, my computer doesn'trestore . The computer will restore in safe mode.
I also have lost my favorites. Everything else works normaly.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.

JBryan42 :

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with this problem.

JBryan42 :

So just so that I'm clear. You were able to get a successful restore done when you ran the restore under safe mode, but running the same restore under normal mode causes the error?

JBryan42 :

If you're doing a system restore anyway, why would reinstalling the operating system not be an accepted solution?

JBryan42 :

I'm not sure if you're still here or not. Normally that error comes up when there is damage to the registry. But because of the fact that HP could not remote into your computer hints that there are other problems with the operating system as well. I do recommend doing a repair install, that would keep your current files in place. Then do the system restore (in safe mode if necessary). Then re-install any missing programs.

JBryan42 :

Let me know if I can offer any further assistance.

Customer :

i wasUSING the system restore on the computer to a previous date. Doing this i won"t loose my faviorites. I got them back 0ne time before using system restore. If i reinstall the os i will loose the favorites for sure and i already know i can do that.

Customer :
JBryan42 :

Do you know that your favorites were included on the backup at that point? If you use the same system restore, and the favorites were part of that backup, then your favorites will come back as well.

JBryan42 :

oh wait ... you can't do the repair install, then system restore ... sorry, I wasn't thinking. The install would remove the restore files. So, once we can get your favorites back, I recommend exporting them to an external drive, saving your personal files to that external drive, then do a repair install. Then you can copy back your personal files and re-import your favorites.

Customer :

what is a repair install / you mean completely reinstall the os? the favorites were on the back at the point but the backup was done in safe mode ,it wouldn"t work during normal surfing

JBryan42 :

And the reason I recommend doing that is because of the the error code you mentioned, and the fact that HP could not remote to your computer. Those problems suggest more errors with the operating system that could become worse.

JBryan42 :

Backup/Restore don't change the way they work depending on if you are in safe more or normal mode. So if the restore failed in normal mode then there is something else causing it to fail. But restoring in safe mode would still restore the same ddata.

Customer :

so how do we get the favorites back thats why i contactyed you whjen i restored in safe mode w/networking and looked for the favorites they weren't there

Customer :
JBryan42 :

Ok. Did you try the restore point before that? It's possible that there were no changes to the favorites on the restore that you finished, so favorites wouldn't be part of the restore.

JBryan42 :

Oh, and I'm still not entirely sure .. was the restore completed sucessfully in safe mode?

Customer :

So can we get the favorites backThe restore was completed in the safe mode more than once.

JBryan42 :

Can you try doing the restore from before the one you just did?

Customer :

Idon"t know what you mean by changes in the favoriotes before. There are hundreds of favorites on the computer that were returned on previous restore attempts in the normal mode

Customer :

I can try again but i have already done it. To try this do you have to sign off.How would i get back to you

JBryan42 :

Are you in safe or normal mode right now?

Customer :

do i get a nsession code to contact you in the future normal

Customer :

normal

JBryan42 :

I'm not sure what you mean by nsession code. But you can always ask for my be my id JBryan42.

Customer :

can i com back to this session to use the link

JBryan42 :

Ok, try to do the restore in normal mode first, let me know if that fails.

JBryan42 :

Yes, just use the link to come back to this chat window.

Customer :

can i get back to this session to use the link.

whats the correct way to send you my responses just hit Reply?

JBryan42 :

And yes, just hit Reply or hit return.

Customer :

i'm in normal now

JBryan42 :

Ok. So try the restore and let me know if you get an error.

Customer :

what should i do now

Customer :

how do i get back to this link to contact you after the restore

the computer will turn off as part of the restore

Customer :
JBryan42 :

If you just bring up justanswer.com, you can go to "My Questions" on the top right and click the click for this question.

Customer :

can i get back to this sessionj to use the link

Customer :

ok i"ll try the restore again

what does expert in chat mean are you helping someone else while helping me?

Customer :
JBryan42 :

Just so that you're aware, if you start typing in the reply box, even just one character, it shows to me as "Typing".

JBryan42 :

No. I'm here. I'm just waiting to hear if the retore completed successfully.

JBryan42 :

Well, let me know how it turns out.