DrKlahn
DrKlahn, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  BSci: Electrical Engr., Industrial Engr, and Computer Sci.
63151004

scan document too big to attach. need help

Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 5 years ago.

DrKlahn :

Good morning. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

DrKlahn :

Reading the problem statement, it sounds like you're trying to scan a multi-page document, but the resulting file is too big to send with an email. Would that be correct?

Customer:

No we are trying to attach a pdf file for a job application, but the file size is too big, the file is 5.5 mb and the max size is 2

DrKlahn :

Hmm. That is a remarkably low size limit. Are you working from a paper original that you are scanning on your own computer?

Customer:

yes

DrKlahn :

Thank you. I have an already-written explanation of why the problem occurs, and what can be done about it. I would like you to read it, and then we can proceed from there with a view toward cutting the file size down. Will that be acceptable?

Customer:

yes thank you

DrKlahn :

When going for the best file size with scanned files, it's necessary to adjust two things:

1. The scanning resolution
2. The color palette

The Effect of Scanning Resolution:

Consider an 8.5x11 sheet of paper scanned at 300 DPI. This results in 2550 x 3300 pixels, or 8,415,000 pixels. However, if that page is scanned at 100 DPI, the result is only 850 x 1100 pixels, or 935,000 pixels. A resolution reduction to 1/3 results in the scan being only 1/9th the size.

300 DPI is often the default scan resolution on many scanners, but for ordinary purposes such as text files, 150 or 100 DPI is sufficient.

The Effect of Color Palette:

Color files occupy 24 bits per pixel - red, blue and green intensities each in 8 bits per pixel, for a total of 16 million colors.

Grayscale files occupy 8 bits per pixel - gray values from black to white for a total of 256 available shades of gray.

Black and white files occupy 1 bit per pixel - either black or white.

So we can see that for any given file, storing it in full color results in a file that is 24 times larger than storing it in black and white. This is before compression.

Consider again that 8.5x11 sheet of paper scanned at 300 DPI with 8,415,000 pixels. In full color, this occupies 25 megabytes. In grayscale, 8.4 megabytes. In black and white, only 1.05 megabytes. Again, this is before compression.

The Result:

To get the absolute smallest page images possible, scan at a lower scan resolution such as 100 DPI, in black and white -- not grayscale

DrKlahn :

Most scanners scan at a "default" resolution of either 300 dots per inch, or 600 dots per inch, in full color. If this is cut down to 100 dots per inch in grayscale, the resulting PDF file should be cut down in size by at least a factor of 9, which would make the 5.5 MB file only 600 KB.

DrKlahn :

Does your scanner allow control of the resolution, and the color capture type?

Customer:

yes, i rescanned them, now i have to convert jpeg to pdf and see how big the file is, but the new scans are only 200-300 kb so i'm guessing they will be small enough

DrKlahn :

PDF is going to make the files somewhat bigger, but it should not be anywhere near 5 MB in size given that the starting image is 200 to 300 KB.

DrKlahn :

As a side note, you will get a better quality PDF if you scan to either Windows Bitmap (.BMP) or Tagged Interchange Format (.TIF) files. These are uncompressed formats. The JPEG format is a lossy compression, so there is unavoidable loss of quality when scanning to JPG files.

DrKlahn :

Can I assist you further today, or would you like me to remain online in this chat session while you try the reconversion to see if the results are acceptable?

Customer:

yes, if you don't mind, i'd like to make sure the conversion works. thank you

DrKlahn :

No problem.

Customer:

the conversion seems to have worked, thank you very much. one quick question, though. is there any way, if you scan a 2 page document, to make it one file?

DrKlahn :

This can be done with the "professional" version of Acrobat, which is expensive, or with a freeware product that has the unlikely name of "BullZip PDF Printer."

DrKlahn :

The BullZip freeware is a pseudo-printer. Anything that is "printed" to the BullZip pseudo-printer is converted into a PDF file.

Customer:

ok thank you very much

DrKlahn :

So the simplest way to do a multi-page PDF conversion is to drag the images into Microsoft Word, one per page, and then "print" the document to the BullZip printer.

DrKlahn :

Undeniably crude compared to doing it through Acrobat Pro, but it doesn't cost a couple hundred bucks.

DrKlahn :

One moment while I look up the BullZip web site.

DrKlahn :

I should have remembered -- http://www.bullzip.com/

Customer:

thank you very much

DrKlahn :

My pleasure. Can I help you further?

Customer:

no thank you very much

DrKlahn :

Then I wish you a good morning. If this answer was acceptable, please remember to click the Accept button. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.

Customer: