Bryan, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Hardware/Software/Viruses/Malware/Spyware .. I can help you fix it all.
59162784

I cannot reply to my emails in windows live mail. Is there

Customer Question

I cannot reply to my emails in windows live mail. Is there a fix for this problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please tell me who is your email provider ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not sure what you mean but I have windows live mail, my Internet Service Provider is a Verizon Air card.
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
That means you are using verizon mail.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So where do we go from here?
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
Step 1

Open the Start menu, click “All Programs,” right-click on “Windows Mail” at the top of the programs list and then select “Pin to Start Menu.” Open the Start menu again and click on Windows Mail to open it.
Step 2

Click on the “Accounts” tab on the top right side of the Windows Mail program window. In the “New Account” section, click the “Email” button to open the "New Email Account" wizard.
Step 3

Type in your Verizon email address and password (consult your account details on the Verizon website if you can’t remember what they are) and check the “Remember this password” box.
Step 4

Type your name in the “Display name” field and check the “Manually configure server settings” box. Click “Next.” Type “incoming.verizon.net” in the “Incoming mail server (POP3)” field, type “outgoing.verizon.net” in the “Outgoing mail server (SMTP)” field, and then check the “This server requires a secure connection (SSL)” box.
Step 5

Type the number “995” in the “Incoming Port” field and type “465” in the “Outgoing Port” field. Click the “Finish” button to complete the setup wizard. Your Verizon DSL email account is now configured to work in Windows Mail and you can begin sending and receiving emails.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have a Verizon email account, we only use a Verizon wireless modem or air card. My account set up was working just fine until I installed the Windows Essentials Update. I have been using it with the current settings since Christmas 2011. I can receive emails just fine but cannot reply or send new emails. This is an email account which comes through a website from Hostway.com
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.
I am apologized. This time I opt out and leave the question for other experts?

Thank you.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I need a solution to my problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I need to know if there is a way to fix windows live mail. since I downloaded the Windows Essential Update I receive email but cannot send new emails or reply to incoming mail

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is Bryan and I would like to help you with this problem.

Can you tell me what happens when you try to reply to an email that was sent to you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I get a message popup that states there was an error trying to open and/or reply to this email
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok can you tell me who your email provider is? It would be just the letters after the @ symbol in your email address. Please do not give me your full email address because it will be filtered out. Only the part after the @ symbol.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
naigso-aa.org This a pop3 account through hostway.com from our website. It has been working just fine since Christmas but seems to have failed after I downloaded and installed a windows essentials update.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the SMTP settings for your email server? POP3 is only the receiving end of email. SMTP is what is needed for sending.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We seem to be going around in circles. Nothing has changed with my settings. There is a glitch in windows live mail, it stops sending mail after you install the update. If you do a search on my probelm there are several blogs from people who are experiencing this same problem. In fact I found the link to here on one of those blogs. Do you have any information on repairing the windows live mail problem?
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I do see a bug mentioned some time ago (2007), but that is supposed to be fixed now.

Can you verify that your SMTP settings are still correct? I realize that you may not have changed them, but we should check the settings to verify.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The problem is definitely in Windows Live Mail, I never get a chance to try to send the reply, the error message pops up as soon as I click reply.
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
But an incorrect SMTP setting would cause that behavior as well. If you'd rather not check your SMTP setting to verify that it is correct, then I can opt out and let someone else work on this with you. Just let me know.

Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
I haven't heard back from you. Did you want to check the SMTP settings to verify that they are correct? If they are correct (I know you didn't change them, but something else may have) then I can continue working on the possibility that it's a problem in Windows Live. Just let me know.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I verified my settings by setting up the email account in Outlook this morning. There was no problem with those settings, which is what I tried to tell you last night. Once I saw the email account work in Outlook I returned to Windows Live Mail, just as I was about to click reply again another update from Windows Essentials popped up. Once I downloaded and installed the new update- bingo- Live Mail functions properly!
Expert:  Bryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok. So the problem was that Windows wasn't fully up to date is what it looks like. I'm glad to hear you it got worked out. Take care.