Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have a Vodafone plug in USB stick modem for connecting to

Customer Question

I have a Vodafone plug in USB stick modem for connecting to the internet. My computer has stopped recognizing when the stick is plugged in. In Device Manager there is a conflict / problem under DVD/CD Rom Drives (ie Yellow triangle with exclamation mark). This appears against "Vodafone USB SCSI CD ROM USB Device". I have tried the following which has not fixed the problem:
1. uninstalled the Vodafone software and then reinstalled it using a fresh software copy from the Vodafone website
2. got windows to do an automatic search for the most appropriate driver. Windows said the most appropriate driver was already being used.
3. manually selected an appropriate driver as advised by Vodafone tech support.
4. tried a different plug in modem which did not work either.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get my computer to properly recognise and drive these USB plug in modems? (It will recognise other USB sticks such as data USB)

Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Good morning. I'm Bruce Mitchell, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

In reading the problem statement, I believe the following is the situation:

The Vodaphone USB modem previously worked, but no longer does. The problem occurred without warning, and was not associated with any hardware or software changes in the system.

If this is correct, the most likely solution for the problem is to do a Windows System Restore to an earlier date. This will return the System Registry to its previous state and undo any changes in the system software since the Restore Point was created. It will not affect any user files, and it can be undone if the problem is not remedied.

Would you like to try this approach?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately I have not set any system restore points so I cannot roll back to a previously working state... (I will have to set such restore points in future when everything is working - but not a solution I can take this time.)
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

System Restore Points are created automatically by the operating system, unless you have manually turned the feature off.

See the Microsoft article at the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

and check to see if you have an available Restore Point created before the problem occurred. I will be very surprised if you don't have a usable Restore Point.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have tried this approach and run system restore, but it still persists with there is a problem with your modem or network adapter.

Do you have any other ideas?

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have booked a technician to come and have a look at the problem tomorrow. Thanks for your assistance.

Please send me the response that allows me to accept your help and I will do so.

Thanks you.

Regards

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear that the System Restore didn't solve the problem. Under the circumstances, I think it is inappropriate to ask for payment. Your deposit remains untouched, and you can either leave it for use on another question at some time in the future or ask for a refund from Billing.

Thanks very much for using JustAnswer. Please visit us again at some time in the future.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi DrKlahn,

That was generous of you. I am on the free contributory scheme and have an ongoing subscription on a monthly basis. Your contribution did help a lot as we were able to zero in on what the problem could be more quickly.

Thanks.

Regards

Expert:  DrKlahn replied 4 years ago.

It is my pleasure. Glad to help.