Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I get the message "Installing Update 1 of 2" everytime I shut

I get the message "Installing Update 1 of 2" everytime I shut down which slows the ability shut off my computer. How do I get rid of this message??
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

This error is caused by an error in either your windows update engine, or in the update itself.

Lets try to reset the system, clear the error.. And then, The update should install correctly, and then. It should only download and update 2 of 2 one time.. The next time you shut it down it shouldnt have the exact same number of updates ( or any at all possibly)

Lets try these steps.

This is an error in the actual update engine on your computer. lets try to repair it

Step 1

click start, all programs, accessories, right click command prompt..

click run as admin

type in

sfc /scannow ( with only one space before the / ) and then hit enter

Once this is finished. next go to the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Where you see the picture of the fixit guy ( the microsoft mechanic)

click him, it should start a file download. Once downloaded, make sure you actually run the file. Then.. when the fixit program is running and it asks you what mode to use, choose aggressive.

Once its finished. Let the computer download the updates again , and try to install them. It should only happen just the once, and they should actually install this time.

If you get stuck at any point or run into any issues, let me know!

Dustin S.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried what you told me twice but I still have the problem. Bill
Did it successfuly install any updates?

Or is it still stuck on the same two? And did all the steps I suggested seem to respond like they were working, or did any fail??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The problem is that each time I log off the computer, I get the message that it wants to load 2 updates that seem to load and the machine shuts down but I get same message everytime I log off and I have to wait a long time to turn off the electricity to the computer. I tried your solution twice but it still does the same. Bill
Thanks Bill.

Lets try and stop the updates for now..

1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click Change settings.

3. Under Important updates,click "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them"

Apply the setting change, and then.. Have it check for updates.. How many does it find?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
two important updates and 4 optional
Thanks..

It is set not to install, as I suggested before.. Correct?

lets restart the computer.. It should not install any updates, or hang up as it has been before.

If I am correct, when we come back online I will help you figure out if those updates are needed.. And then manually help you install them , as that is usually the best practice when it comes to Difficult updates..

So restart, and then let me know if the comp gets stuck on updating.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have just come on line after restarting my computer. It is still stuck as decribed before. Bill
Ok, go back into the windows update as we did before and it showed the pending and critical ( important updates)

I need you to list those two important updates for me by name, and KB number..

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The two Updates are:

Security Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package KB(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Security Update for Microsoft Works 9 KB(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Thanks.

Do you use Microsoft works, or Visual basic?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No not a bit.
Excellent..

On the window we are using, that shows us the list of available and recommended updates.

I want you to right click each of those two updates..

And then click hide update.

Then.. Apply the setting.. Now restart your computer.. Does it show it still trying to install exactly 2 updates?