Hans Uebelhoer
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.
29701876

I tried to restore my computer (Gateway DX4860-EF12) by using

I tried to restore my computer (Gateway DX4860-EF12) by using the Gateway application restore function (I don't remember exactly what its called) found in the gateway folder in the start menu. I chose the option of restore original settings but retain user data. The computer ran the restore and when it restarted it give me an error reading "Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation." The computer then restarts when I click ok only to bring up the message everytime it restarts. I also bought the computer not even two montsh ago if that helps.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hans Uebelhoer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today. Please try the follwoing. 1. Press the power button 2. Immediately as soon as you hit the power button start to Tap the F8 key Over and Over 3. You will see a black screen use you arrow keys to scroll up and choose Last Known Good Configuration. 4. Let the compter try to revert back to the last known good configuration.

If this does not work you will need to re install windows. You can do that using the belwo steps.

1. Turn the computer on and immediately start to tap the F11 Key
2. You will see the Gateway/Windows Recovery partition start up
3. Wiat for it to fully load
4. it will then ask you what you want to do, you want to do a factory restore.
5. Follow the on screen steps to complete the restore (this will erase everything and will set the computer back to the way it was when it was brand new)
6. It will then take you throuhg the initial setup

If you still have problems, the computer is under warranty please CLICK HERE then scroll down on the page that opens and click on verify eligibility. Next it will ask you for some numbers off of your computer. Enter those numbers it will verify that you are eligible for free support and warranty services and will provide you a phone number to call.

It was a pleasure to work with you today. IMPORTANT: Please be sure to click on the GREEN ACCEPT Button and Rate my answer so that I am compensated by the Website. ALSO if you have time to provide personal Feedback It is very important to me. BONUS’S very much appreciated

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Hans Uebelhoer, Computer Specialist
Experience: Associates in Computer Sciences ; Cisco Product Expert.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Hans,

I know the computer is still under warranty and that I could call for free but the call center was closed when my computer crashed.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX advice, the F3 choose last configuration did not work and tapping F11 doesn't bring up any menu but does stop the message saying I need to restart that I kept getting before. However, I've waited two hours now and it still says service is running without actually starting the computer. I'll leave it overnight with the hope that maybe its just taking a while but I don't think its going to work.

Ok I am at work right now but when I get home I will provide you with further steps to resolve this.