David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience

my kitten sat on my keyboard and now the mouse pad wont work,

my kitten sat on my keyboard and now the mouse pad wont work, i had to plug in an external mouse how do i fix it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

My name is David.

Power down the laptop then unplug the power supply and remove the battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then plug in the power supply and power up the laptop and test to see if the mouse pad starts working. If it does then power down the laptop and reseat the battery then power up again and test to verify it is working.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

it did not work

Expert:  Ansh P. replied 2 years ago.
What is the make and model of the laptop?
Expert:  David L replied 2 years ago.
Try pressing the FN key and F7 key at the same time (if your computer is an Acer this should enable the mouse pad). If the laptop is not an Acer computer check the icons on the function or "F" keys to see if one of them enables/disables the mouse pad (it will have a mouse pad icon). If so then press the FN key and the key with the mouse pad icon at the same time, then test to see if the issue is resolved.

If that does not resolve the issue click the Windows Start button then type

mouse

in the Search box and press Enter. Then click the Device Settings tab if available and click the Enable button then click Ok and test to see if the issue is resolved.

If still not resolved look closely at the keyboard area for a button with an icon or picture of a mouse or mousepad near it and press that button (this would be a button designed to enable/disable the mouse pad which is built into some laptops).

David L, Systems Engineer
Experience: Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience