John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ Years in the computer industry
60674955

i just lost all my contacts and ical info. I use iCloud and

Customer Question

i just lost all my contacts and ical info. I use iCloud and am getting duplicate items on the calendar
Category: Computer
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

if you log into https://www.icloud.com/ do you see the missing contacts and are you iCal events still duplicated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I open address book on my MACbookpro I see several of my contacts that are not on my iPhone. I am also having trouble with my back ups. I use WD passport external drive, but i keep getting an error message when the Mac tries to back up from Time Machine saying it can not back up because it does not have permission. I have not always had this problem only recently since I started with iCloud.
if you log into https://www.icloud.com/ do you see the missing contacts and are your iCal events still duplicated?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see many more contacts in my address book on the mac than I see in iCloud or on the iPhone. Yes, there are still duplicates in ical.

Also, my back ups are not working. I have a WD Passport external drive that I back up to and ever since I have used iCloud my back ups have not been working. Here is the message I get from Time Machine:

Time Machine could not complete the backup.
Files can’t be copied onto the backup disk because it appears to be read-only.
Thanks. iCloud should not effect Time Machine at all so that would be a seperate issue as far as troubleshooting goes. If you'd like, you can re-submit as a new question on my profile page here: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

You can wait until we are done with this to submit it or we can work on it in parallel. Smile

So, back to the issue at hand.

What version of OS X are you running on your MacBook Pro?

Additionally, how many address book accounts do you have?

Open Address Book

Choose "Address Book" in the menubar and select Preferences

Click the Account Tab.

How many accounts are listed in the sidebar?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.7.3

Address book Accounts:

iCloud - there is a check mark at enable this account

On my Mac - local

We can address the back up issue after we settle this one.
Thanks. Let's try this:

On your Mac, open System Preferences and choose iCloud.

Turn OFF Contacts by removing the check mark. If it asks whether to leave contacts on the Mac, say NO.

Close System Preferences.
---
On your iPhone:

Tap Settings

Tap iCloud

Turn Contacts OFF. If it asks whether to leave contacts on the iPhone, say NO.
---
Now, on your Mac, log into https://www.icloud.com/ and open the Contacts there.

Click the gear icon in the lower left and choose "Select all"

Click the gear again and choose "Delete".

When it has finished, you may close the browser window.

Now, try re-enabling iCloud first on the Mac and then on the iPhone.

After a few minutes, see if contacts successfully sync from Mac to iCloud to iPhone. You may need to restart both Mac and iPhone once if you don't see immediate results.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So far so good....Now can you help with the other part of my problem I addressed previously? See below...

my back ups are not working. I have a WD Passport external drive that I back up to and ever since I have used iCloud my back ups have not been working. Here is the message I get from Time Machine:

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just checked my address book on the Mac and I have duplicates in there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Duplicates are also on my ical.
If these contact duplicates also exist in iCloud itself at https://www.icloud.com/ then you will need to manually select the duplicates and delete them. It's likely there were contacts stored on the iPhone still that were not recognized as matches for contacts from the Mac.

In the case of iCal, is every event duplicated or just a select few?

For the backup issue, you can re-submit as a new question on my profile page here: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-macdruid/

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The duplicates do not appear in the iCloud address book only in the Mac Address book.

As far as the duplicates in iCal it seems that duplicates are mostly birthdays and anniversaries. Does it make a difference where you enter the information i.e. in entourage, iPhone or in address book on the mac?
Okay, for the duplicated Contacts on the Mac;

Open Address Book

Click Address Book in the menubar and select Preferences

Select Accounts

Disable iCloud temporarily. If it asks if you wish to leave contacts on Mac, say NO.

Close Preferences.

Now, delete the duplicated contacts from the local listing.

When done, go back into Preferences and re-enable iCloud.
---
For duplicates in iCal; It does make a difference where you add birthdays. If you add them to Address Book, they should automatically show up in iCal. If you have them in the Address Book and later add one to iCal directly, you will have duplicates.

Also, take note that many people will have both local and iCloud calendars on their devices after they upgrade.

Open iCal on the Mac

Click the Calendars button at the top left of the window.

If you see both iCloud and Local calendars listed, make sure the content is not duplicated between then. If there is nothing unique on the Local calendars, then you may wish to remove them entirely so all events get added directly to iCloud in the future.

You may wish to check the iPhone for it's own local calendars, as well.

John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience: 20+ Years in the computer industry
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The duplicates disappear when I disable iCloud in preferences. When I go in and enable iCloud again the duplicates appear.

Why are there contacts on my iPhone that do not appear in my address book on my MAC?
Are you saying that the cards that are duplicated disappear when iCloud is turned off? You must remove the contacts from the local Address Book that are also in iCloud now. Likely this means you would be deleting all local contacts.

Is the iPhone using the same iCloud account as the Mac? Additionally, is there anything special about the contacts that do not appear (such as being from a GMail or Exchange account)?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The address book on iCloud and the contacts in my iPhone are identical, however the contacts in my address book on the Mac have duplicates and do not show all the contacts that iCloud and iPhone do. Why don't they have all the contacts in all areas?

I am in the process of deleting the dulplicates in the address book on the mac.

iPhone is using the same iCloud account as the Mac.
Once you are done deleting duplicates, and you have re-enabled iCloud on the Mac:

Log in to iCloud at https://www.icloud.com/ then make a change to one of the contacts that appear on iCloud but not your Mac. See if the change filters down to the iPhone and if the Contact eventually turns up on the Mac.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have deleted all the duplicates. There aren't any contacts that do not appear in the Mac. There are however some in the Mac that do not appear on the iCloud or the iPhone. Both the iPhone and the iCloud have the same contacts.
Are the contacts that appear on the Mac only in the local Address Book (in other words, you see them when you disable the iCloud contacts)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It seems that all address books now have all the same in each. I will let it go through the night and check it in the morning.
Sometimes, it does take a short time before all have synced properly. If they are the same now, they should hopefully stay in sync in the future. Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am still getting duplicate birthdays on my ical. When I try to delete them this is the message I am getting:

You can’t add or change events in the Birthdays calendar.

Events in the Birthdays calendar come from your contacts in Address Book. To change them or add birthdays, use Address Book.

When I open the address book there is only one there so I don't want to change or delete in the address book???????
Are both birthdays listed as being on the same calendar and/or is there by chance more than one "Birthday calendar" listed in iCal?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is only on "Birthday calendar" listed in iCal. What I am seeing on the ICal is a symbol that looks like a present before the person's name. I am also seeing the symbol that looks like a present and it just says birthday behind it with no name. I also see a blue dot and the word birthday with a person's name. # different scenario's.

When I look under Calendars on iCal here is what I see:

On MY Mac
Entourage

ICLOUD
CheckMark Entourage
CheckMark Home
CheckMark Home
CheckMark Calendar
CheckMark Entourage

SUBSCRIPTIONS
CheckMark Birthdays
Okay, the Subscription to the Birthday calendar is normal.

However, if you are seeing birthdays with a blue dot next to it, that's coming from another type of entry.

You could temporarily un-check the Birthday subscription and then see what you are left with to help trace the remaining birthday listings.

On iCloud do you actually have duplicate Home and Entourage calendars?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have duplicate Home and Entourage calendars. But when I uncheck them individually, different things disappear from the iCal. How do I test where these things are coming from?

When I uncheck the birthday listings in iCal all the birthday listings with the little red present symbol disappears.
Just to clarify again? Do you or do you NOT have duplicate calendars under iCloud. In the listing you typed, you did indicate duplicate calendars:

ICLOUD
CheckMark Entourage
CheckMark Home
CheckMark Home
CheckMark Calendar
CheckMark Entourage

Normally, each calendar is color coded and even event should have a small colored dot before it that indicates what calendar it belongs to... If you edit the details of an event, it will also list the calendar it belongs to currently.

If the calendar colors are not unique, you can change them.

Open iCal

Click the Calendar button

Right-click (or Control-click) on a calendar and choose "Get Info".

You can then change the color, and even rename a calendar, to help differentiate between them.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't know I had duplicate calendars. I did not create them, knowingly anyway. How can I merge them all to one and then I can delete the duplicate entries on one calendar?

There is no official, built-in way to merge calendars. However, MacWorld has an article on how you might try accomplishing this procedure using the Export/Import options.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1054668/mergecalendars.html

Note: This likely won't merge events, though, and you may end up with overlapping appointments.