authentech
authentech, Systems Admin
Experience:  I am a MS Certified Systems Engineer
58460175

I have windows installed on my MacBook Pro via VMware Fusion.

Customer Question

I have windows installed on my MacBook Pro via VMware Fusion. It has frozen during the reboot process on Loaded: \windows\system32\DRIVERS\agp.440.sys
I do not have the original windows disk, so how can I fix?
Category: Computer
Expert:  authentech replied 5 years ago.

authentech :

This problem is related to the ACPI settings in the BIOS usually. So if you were installing on a normal computer, I would say go into your bios and disable the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface"

authentech :

Here is another article I found related to virtual installs and this error. It's a different product but I think you get the picture: There are a few Windows device drivers that does not play nice on VirtualBox' hardware. Many physical PC systems (and VMware) have a AGP graphics bus which will cause agp440.sys to be installed. VirtualBox' virtual graphics card is on the PCI bus and the driver will cause a system crash. The most correct approach is to boot the recovery console from the Windows installation CD and disable this service. However, it is also possible to just rename/delete agp440.sys the C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\drivers directory. Here is a knowledge base article containing more information: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324764

authentech :

I hope this helps lead you to the correct answer!

JACUSTOMER-79qo6tb6- : I unfortunately do not have a start up disk. Is there any other way to fix.
authentech :

Is this for XP?

JACUSTOMER-79qo6tb6- : No, 7
authentech :

I am going to give you instructions on how to get a Dell XP disk from a torrent site. Use the same instructions. I'll find you a Windows 7 iso in a sec. So follow the same instructions except the link to use and give me 1 minute

authentech :

How to download Dell XP ISO and copy to a disk

1. get utorrent and install it. utorrent can be found at utorrent.com

2. http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4182674/DELL_XP_HOME_SP3.ISO

click that then click the smaller "Get this torrent"

3. Download imgburner from DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

4. Use Image Burner to burn the iso file to a blank cd

5. Now follow these instructions to do a repair install. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1.htm

You can use this disk to reinstall your Operating System. It will prompt you to put in your code and it will be a legal version again.

How to download Dell Vista ISO and copy to a disk

2. http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/4158160/Windows_Vista_Home_Premium_32-bit_Dell_OEM_DVD_-_Unaltered

authentech :

Here's a link:

authentech :

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/6504008/Windows_7_ultimate_64bit___Power_iso___removewat

authentech :

click "Get this torrent" - DO NOT CLICK THE BIG GREEN DOWNLOAD BUTTON

authentech :

Follow the rest of the instructions. I hope I have helped you! Please click ACCEPT to give me credit for helping. If you can give me Positive feedback this helps me a lot as well. Thanks and have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it possible to do a backup of any files before proceeding?
Any of the files on the Windows virtual image? Yes, just copy/paste that image to a new filename before proceeding. Then it's exactly like it was before you attempt this and you're good to go. Find where your VMFusion points to the image file and copy it.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Stupid question I know, but where I'd I find that image?
By default virtual machines are stored in the user's home directory.