Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

how do I remove Bing desktop from my screen?

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  lordnomi replied 2 years ago.

lordnomi :

Hi

lordnomi :

I am lordnomi and i would be glad to help you

lordnomi :

are you talking about bing wallpaper?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

no, the bing screen including the 4 birds is on my desktop today - a result of windows optional

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

update. I cannot remove it and get back to normal screen/

lordnomi :

did you try changing the theme

lordnomi :

with wallpaper?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

I did nothing, it just appeared after the update

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

msot of the fixes I have read are for IE8, IE9.

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

not IE9

lordnomi :

goto control panel please

lordnomi :

click Appearance and Personalization

lordnomi :

and change the theme as described in the link

lordnomi :

whats opening when you start your IE?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

I am on IE9

lordnomi :

is it automatically opening Bing?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

It opens with my home page Charter.net

lordnomi :

then its cool

lordnomi :

changing theme helped or bing is still there?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

no, its not cool, it is there when ever i am not on the home page or etrade, or what ever

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

it did nothing

lordnomi :

i will opt-out so that another expert can help you

lordnomi :

All the best

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

From what I have read, under IE8, you would go into tools/add ons and remove Bing - not true under IE9

lordnomi :

open internet explorer

lordnomi :

goto tools

lordnomi :

Internet options

lordnomi :

Advanced

lordnomi :

Restore to defaults

lordnomi :

it will remove any settings changed after update to the original settings

lordnomi :

you will see a Reset Button in Advanced

lordnomi :

you will have to restart IE after performing this task

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

I will try this again, I think I already tried this, but will try again - will need to sign off to restart

lordnomi :

any difference?

JACUSTOMER-1gvv04oj- :

no, still has Bing desktop

lordnomi :

okay then i will opt-out for other experts to help you

Expert:  TaylorTech replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is Mike and will try to help you.

Please go to control panel under the start menu and proceed to add/remove programs.

Do you see a reference to Bing there at all in any capacity?

Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok

Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I want a solution to remove the Bing desktop from my laptop - happened today from optional win 7 update.
Did you look in add/remove programs, programs list?

Also you can go to windows update, view installed updates and see if it is clearly indicated as a Bing installation. Then all you have to do is uninstall THAT update.

If you need clearer instructions let me know.

Thanks Mike

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, thats basic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
you have not answered my question!
With your response, do you mean you have already completed the steps with a no go?

Please be more specific with your responses so I may know what you have done. It will aid in fixing the problem much faster, respectfully of course.

Thanks Mike

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
My question is, how can I remove the Bing desktop (wallpaper?) and 4 birds on a branch from my desktop? It happened today as a result of Win 7 optinal update - Once update was over, the Bing desktop appeared. I have removed the program from Programs and Features. I have also read on internet that in IE8, you just go into tools/add ons and remove the Bing program. This not an option IE9 on Win 7 laptop.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
your response only stated what I already had done - no actual solution.
If you do not tell me what you have done I will not know that. Have a great day! Another expert will be with you shortly. Thanks Mike
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I restated my question above as clear as i can - do not know what you want - I think it best to change expects!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My question is as follows:

How can I remove the Bing desktop (wallpaper?) and 4 birds on a branch from my desktop? It happened today as a result of Win 7 optinal update - Once update was over, the Bing desktop appeared. I have removed the program from Programs and Features. I have also read on internet that in IE8, you just go into tools/add ons and remove the Bing program. This not an option IE9 on Win 7 laptop.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what more you want from me?
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 2 years ago.

I will be happy to futher help you.

The screes you saw "4 birds", is from Bing Desktop, and you can remove it

Please follow this step
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
We don not appear to be on same wave length.
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 2 years ago.

Uninstall Bing Desktop

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Programs and Features.
  3. In the Uninstall or change program list, click Bing Desktop, and then click Uninstall.
  4. Follow the instructions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After the Win 7 optinal update, the Bing desktop (or wall paper??), including 4 birds on a branch, replaced my normal windows desktop - this happened late AM, today.
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 2 years ago.
If that not working, you try this

You can restore to an early point (click Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, then System Restore)

Then try to update this way

1. Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start, type Microsoft Update in the Search programs and files box, and then click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.
  2. Click the # optional updates are available link.

Note The placeholder # represents the number of optional updates available for download.
  3. Under the Bing category, please unselect select the Bing Desktop update.
  4. Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have already done that, I have removed the program, but the Bring desktop does not go away. I have repeated most of these answers for hours now - but no solution as with IE8, but not for IE9. And I have restarted my pc, etc.
Expert:  Qin Xia replied 2 years ago.
Can you try Revo uninstaller?

Click link below

Try the free version

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

After install, run Revo uninstaller, then find Bing Desktop and remove it

Let me know if it works

Thank you,

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I keep getting the same answers, and I keep repeating the same question - but no solution. I go through the same questions, over and over again with each expert!
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Please go to Start, control panel, (network and internet if available), Internet Options, then click on the Programs tab, then click on Manage add-ons, and see if you can disable bing.

Please let me know. I can remote to your computer and fix/check the issue directly if needed. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Revo does not seem to find any thing.

Did you try my last suggestion yet: Please go to Start, control panel, (network and internet if available), Internet Options, then click on the Programs tab, then click on Manage add-ons, and see if you can disable bing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will check out in a litle while - will need to sign off for today - been doing his too long already.
No problem; please take your time and let me know later. I can remote to your computer and fix/check the issue directly for you if it does not work. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your disable add-ons did not work - there was no option to disable.
Please click below:
http://67.192.95.188:8040/?Session=3f7a4e05-da06-496c-9683-ff78d9f58fc9&SUPPORT=NET
, then click on agree/allow/run whenever prompted, then I can fix. Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I worled with a number of expects for a number of hours today, and no could solve my issue. I know all worked hard, but were on wrong track - I thank you anyway.

I asked my tech son to see if he had a solution - after some research he solved my issue.

Solution was really simple - go into Control Panel, search, and remove the boxes that contain wallpaper, other than one I wanted. Solved my problem.

I do plan to cancel and request a refund.

I could have continued to work with you via remote support. Sorry, we did not know that this was about the wall paper, not the desktop/program, but I'm glad you got it working. If you have any other computer question/issue, please let us know. Otherwise, I will cancel this. Thank you.