Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt

How to reactivate the Elan touchpad on my Toshiba Satellite

How to reactivate the Elan touchpad on my Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5300. It was temporarily deactivated and I cannot get it to work.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Press and hold the FN + F9 keys on your keyboard.

If that doesn't do it, click the Windows Start button > In the box type devmgmt.msc and press enter > Double click Mice and other pointing devices

Look for your touchpad listed in there, then right click and enable it.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had already used the Fn and F9 keys so I used the devmgmt.msc opened the mice and other pointer devices. Right clicked on the touch pad. It wanted to check for updates. Reply said current. Touch pad will not work.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Go ahead and right click your touchpad in the device manager, then select uninstall.

Then restart the laptop and see if the touchpad works then, this will automatically reinstall the touchpad. If not, we can look at reinstalling the driver and looking at some other steps. To make sure you can return to me, please favorite or bookmark this page, alternatively you can go to www.justanswer.com and click my questions in the top right.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should it work even though I have a mouse connected now?
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Yes it should still work

After you uninstall it and restart, wait 2 minutes after you log in, then you can test this by disconnecting the mouse and seeing if the touchpad moves the cursor

I'll continue to standby
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no response. It was disabled by Toshiba because I kept hitting the touch pad while typing. It is not something I did myself. Seems like it should be an easy fix.
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Everything we've done so far should have enabled it already, can you let me know:

Click the Windows Start button > In the box type devmgmt.msc and press enter > Double click Mice and other pointing devices

What are the names of the devices listed here?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ELAN PS/2Port Touch Pad and HID-compliant mouse
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
ELAN is it, if you right click it what options does it have there?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Update driver software (did that said it is current)

Uninstall

Scan for hardware changes

Properties

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Ok good, go ahead and double click the ELAN entry

What does it say under device status?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Says working properly.

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Click the Windows Start button > Right click Computer and select properties > Under system type does it say 32 or 64 bit?

Thanks for your patience I'll have some more steps for you to try shortly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
64 bit
Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
Lets try 2 things:

1. Click HERE and on that page click the green download button. Open the driver file and reinstall the touchpad drivers, restarting if prompted. Disconnect the external mouse and test FN+F9 (you should get an onscreen graphic that shows the touchpad being enabled and disabled)

2. If still no joy, restart the computer and start tapping F8 on the keyboard immediately, then a boot menu will come up, on that page pick Safe mode with networking. Once you're logged in safe mode, disconnect the mouse and try to move around. Does it work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No luck with any thing

Expert:  Bernie replied 2 years ago.
I will open your question to all other experts again. They will see anything we have discussed so far and you will receive an email notificiation if another experts posts to this page. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So do I just close out this session? I can't stay online all night.
Expert:  boxfrederick replied 2 years ago.
I would say try using the fn+f9 while mouse is disconnected, or try using fn + f7 as this is another shortcut for the touchpad.

Have you tried going to your mouse properties in windows. Start icon --> devices and printers -->right click on your touchpad, if showing --> select touchpad or mouse settings --> go to the hardware tab and select properties --> under the general tab select change settings --> go to the drivers tab and select enable if its not already enabled.

Let me know thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did what you suggested No luck. Under the change settings it does not say enabled but disabled is not highlighted so I take that to mean it is enabled. If I go in under the devmgmt.msc it shows the Elan Touchpad enabled. If I go in under Devices and Printers: then hardware it shows the HID-compliant mouse enabled.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I was not able to respond to the reply of 4/25 8:20p. I would like to see if someone else can help. Thank you.
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I have another suggestion for you if you haven't tried it yet. This can sometimes be resolved by installing the most recent version of the BIOS. Please click on the link below, which will get you to the download page. Also, when you do this, I recommend setting the BIOS back to default settings to start. Let me know if it helps.

Toshiba BIOS Update

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I looked at Toshiba for BIOS I'm not sure if is the right update. I will have to ck further.

Mean while don't understand about saying to accept answer when the problem is still not resolved.

Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
"until you’re satisfied and Accept" It's system generated to remind customers to click accept once they are satisfied. You'd be surprised at how many people "forget". It's our only form of compensation, so it's really important. But it's displayed every time I answer - I don't have control over it.

That is the BIOS for your system. I'm certain of that.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will try it and let you know.
That was a very nice gesture. Thank you. Smile

PS. Are you seeing a second "accept" message down at the bottom here? I don't think that's supposed to be there, but I just saw it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I went back to Toshiba followed the instructions and it appeared to be dnloading. Then I got an error saying "version of ROM file is the same as that of BIOS."

I just can't imagine what the Toshiba tech did when he disabled the touchpad. I feel like Toshiba should fix it at nc. I can't even get anyone to talk to me with out charging me a fee of $49.00.

Thank you for all your help. I am frustrated, but not with you. I'm not new to computershowever, this is my first Toshiba and may well be my last.

I understand. I've seen how long you've been working on this just here.

This type of problem is not all that uncommon, and the fix is never the same twice.

When was the last time the touchpad worked? Have you already tried doing a system restore to a point before that? I know that's a lame answer, but it does sometimes work for something that just stopped working. The thing I don't like about it of course, is you never know why it stopped working.

What about if you start up in safe mode - does it work then?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is the problem. It was never that the touchpad stopped working. The computer was new in January 2012. I didn't realize how sensitive the touchpad was and when I typed I kept making the pointer move around the screen and would jump to places I did not want it. I called Toshiba to find out the problem and the tech suggested he disable the touchpad. That when I was comfortable with the laptop I could enable it.

I did not try to enable it myself. I called Toshiba only to find out it would cost me. He suggested a couple things I could try but it did not work that was the FN+F9. Also going in under the properties. That did not work either so I contacted Just Answer.

I tried the Safe Mode as suggested by a JA tech. No luck.

I see. That's good to know.

Is it possible that it was disabled in the BIOS? I'm going to continue looking into this. I just don't want to ask you to repeat things you've already tried. Do you recall anything about what they asked you to do in order to disable it?

If you go to your mouse settings in the control panel, do you have a tab after "hardware" that says "device settings?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

A tab after hardware or in the hardware tab? The only thing in hardware is properties.

I want to say the tech did a remote function.

I have not mentioned is that about a month ago I switched to a WiFi connection. That

is the only thing different.

The Wifi connection shouldn't affect it at all.

I think that you have already done this, but to be sure... the original software for the touchpad is here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=3133792&rpn=PSC0YU&modelFilter=C655D-S5300&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

I'm pretty sure you know what you have, but it's worth me asking - that notebook could come with a Synaptics or an Elan touchpad. You are certain that you have the elan, correct?

Not trying to insult your intelligence.

On the hardware tab, does it have the touchpad listed?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes and yes. You want me to click on the link?
Yes, please. That's the Elan touchpad software/driver. I'm considering the possibility that a Windows update may have replaced it at some point?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How long do you work? I worked today and I really need to fix dinner and relax. I will click on the link but may not get right back to you. You have been most helpful and would like to continue working with you.
I was just going to ask you the same question? I usually work until about 9pm eastern time. I'm here every day. You've been a pleasure to work with so far. Wait until you come back to reply to this, whether it's later today or tomorrow and then I will be notified when I am online that you have replied.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm back. Did everythink it said to do. Again, it looked like it was going to work, but nothing. Sorry for the trouble.
Ok... you're not causing any trouble.

Sorry for the delay, but I have to do a little more thinking about this. It seems like you have covered absolutely everything, but there must be something missing.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Still waiting for a reply and resolution to the problem. I hope I'm not being billed.

Thank you.

As I said in my last reply, from what I can see, you have done absolutely everything. At this point, if you weren't certain that you turned it off before, I would think it's a hardware problem.

I'm still looking for a solution. As you can tell by the extraordinary amount of time I've already invested in this, there is no silver bullet.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Last evening I found on my desk top a BIOS Launcher from Toshiba. I guess it has been sitting there from the other day. It says the following.

Boot CD-ROM Installation Method Create CD-ROM Now
If your Toshiba PC is equipped with a bootable CD-ROM device (CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, DVD-Multi, etc.), and you have access to a CD writer (burner, either installed in your Toshiba PC or in another PC), you can create a bootable BIOS installation CD-ROM using the ISO CD image, sc0yv160.iso, provided in this distribution.

If you have CD burning software on your computer (Windows Vista and 7 have it by default), chances are good it has set itself up as the default handler for ISO CD-ROM images. If this is the case, the link above, and the option to create the bootable CD-ROM from the BIOS Launcher, will launch your CD burning software, ready to burn the ISO image to CD. If your software hasn't set itself up as the default handler for ISO images, we'll recognize that fact, and let you know.

Once you create the bootable CD-ROM, simply boot your computer from the resulting CD. To boot from CD, you can press the F12 key when prompted, or you can use HWSetup to change the boot priority so the CD drive boots before the HDD.

I created the disk then got a message saying it may not have recreated correctly, or something to that effect. So I am afraid to use it to boot my laptop for fear I create an even bigger problem.

If this doesn't help and we cant resolve the problem I am a going to give up. I will go after Toshiba and try to make them solve the problem at no cost to me. It was there tech that disabled the touchpad in the first place. Had I known then, what I know now about the laptop, I would not have gone along with the recommendation to disable the touchpad in the first place. My previous Dell laptop didn't have the sensitivity issue. Never had a problem with the touchpad on it.

Thank you for all your help.

Since you have the latest BIOS update, I don't think this will do anything for you. This utility is so you can boot from a CD and update the BIOS.

However, if you do go into the BIOS enabling the touchpad in there may be an option. The reason I haven't pointed you to that before is that if it's showing up in your device manager, it must be enabled in the BIOS. It's worth checking... anything is worth checking at this point.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
April 26th at 3:33p you recommended updating the BIOS. I figure when I did the dnld it went to my desktop and I didn't see it. Now your saying probably not. I don't think I want to chance it. Unkess you have some other plan I think I will go back to Toshiba and see where it gets me.
That's different from what you told me originally.

That indicates that you have the same version installed as the version that you downloaded based on that information, I thought it was pretty clear that you did attempt to update the BIOS. I don't know how I would have known that you didn't see it before?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I think it is simply to difficult to be back and forth. I can't imagine how you can keep so many different cases going at once. I don't think we are on the same page.

Thank you for trying.

Did you or didn't you try updating the BIOS? You told me originally that you did, but now you are telling me that you don't want to take the chance. That is the only thing that I think we seem to be on different pages about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thursday, April 26, 2012 4:07 PM EST

So I did nothing.

Then I sent you the message saying I found the BIOS on my desktop and that I checked it out but was afraid to go ahead because it said ther was an error.

Then yo sent back saying it probably would be a waste of time anyway because it is current but I could if I wanted to. I opted not to.

Now, 3 techs since April 25th, and no resolution is a bit much. It's idea,l I guess, if a person can sit at the computer until all problems are resolved. Unfortunately, I cannot.

I will be at work today and will not be available until after 5p DST. I will check for a reply at that time. If we still have no answers I feel it is time to call it quits.

Again, thank you for your effort.

The error "version of ROM file is the same as that of BIOS" could only occur if you actually ran the BIOS update.

I didn't mean to indicate that running the BIOS update would be a "waste of time". When I said "Since you have the latest BIOS update, I don't think this will do anything for you", I was trying to say that if your BIOS is already up to date, it won't help to update it again. If there is any doubt at this point that the BIOS is current, then there is no harm in running the update. The goal with the BIOS update, from the very beginning, was to make the version of the BIOS on the computer current. If this is what needs to be done to accomplish that, then it should be done.

By being a "bit much", I assume you mean that 3 techs have been very graceful with their time trying to help you solve what seems to be a very unusual problem. Sometimes one of us may hit the nail on the head with the first reply, other times it takes longer. I can assure you it's not from a lack of experience or knowledge.

It's never my intention to have someone sit at their computer for a moment longer than they have to, so I apologize for all the troubleshooting steps that you've had to go through. If it makes any difference, none of your time has been wasted. There is a reason behind each of the steps I ask you to take, even though not every one is expected to be the "solution", it does get us closer to it. I do understand that this isn't easy, and if you've decided you've had enough of it, I completely respect your decision. I don't like to leave a problem unresolved because of something I have or haven't done, but the decision is ulitimately up to you.

Yes, great deal of effort, including yours, has been put into trying to resolve this, and the problem remains. It's unfortunate, but that's where we are.