John, Computer Specialist
Experience:  MCP, RHCE
50152684

Im in the UK and have an Acer Aspire PC model M3970, intel

I'm in the UK and have an Acer Aspire PC model M3970, intel i5-2300 CPU, 6144 MB of RAM.
I've reformatted the hard drive using the Acer facility where data is stored on part of the hard drive while the rest is reformatted ( sorry, cant remember what you call this). When i restart the PC i get this message 'windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer restart the installation' but when i try this i keep getting the same message.

Please help!
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 2 years ago.

John :

Hello and Welcome to Just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX will be assisting you today

John :

Sir.how did you start this reformatting process?

Customer:

i searched my pc for 'reformat hard drive' and followed the steps shown by Acer

John :

Is that process called system recovery or restore?

John :

Also which partition did you format?

Customer:

i didnt write it down but i think its system recovery. definitely not that windows restore thing where you select a restore point.Not sure which partition as i was just following Acer's instructions. I was trying to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install which ive done many times before but Acer do it differently and rather than you doing an external backup they save all your data in a separate partition on the drive and then wipe the C drive before reinstalling the operating system then your data (dont worry i do have my data backed up externally) . Also there are no reinstallation disks supplied with the machine

John :

OK one moment please

John :

please try the following

Restart the computer then press F8 repeatedly when you see Acer start-up screen then you will get Advance boot Menu on the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight the Safe Mode and then press ENTER.

Customer:

ive done that but im getting the error message 'windows cant complete installation in safe mode. to continue installing windows restart the computer'...

John :

so the installation got interrupted during the process.please try the following
1.Turn off the PC
2.Now turn on the pc then press ALT + F10 key when see the Acer start-up screen that will open Acer ercovery windows

John :

see if you can access Acer recovery wizard

Customer:

ok, ive done that and have the 'Acer eRecovery Management' window open which shows various helpful looking options...

John :

is there a option to restore to factory settings

Customer:

one says restore op system to factory defaults and the other says restore op system and retain user data

John :

You have already backed up the data you needed am i correct

Customer:

yes, but i would like the 'retain user data' option if possible as my programs etc would still be on the machine and i wouldnt have to reload them . However i'll do anything necessary to get the PC going again...

John :

restoring to factory settings will erase the data on the C drive and then installs windows,drivers and application that came with the PC.

Customer:

ok

John :

i suggest you go for restore operating system to factory defaults because one re-formatting has already got failed

John :

Make sure the external hard drive is disconnected before the process starts

John :

did you start the process?which one did you start?

Customer:

ive followed your instructions and the restore is in progress. looks like a successful outcome.

John :

This entire process will take upto one and a half hours.do not Interrupt the process.during the process the system will restart couple of times

Customer:

Ok, thanks John, wherever you are in the World. Andrew

John :

do you want me to wait

John :

until the process is done

Customer:

I guess so, just to make sure it does restart in an hour or so

John :

ok i will wait then keep me posted once in a while about the status

Customer:

ok, restoring system is now at 80% complete, updating system is at 0%

John :

OK

Customer:

setup has installed devices and is applying system settings....

John :

ok

Customer:

Success, i think. Windows is loaded and drivers are being loaded...

John :

Are you in windows 7 desktop now?

Customer:

Not yet,

Customer:

various software is being loaded but i did see the Windows desktop at one point

John :

OH OK windows had been loaded now its loading the applications that came with the PC.let it finish and let me know

Customer:

ok

John :

is it still installing applications

Customer:

yes, slowly!

John :

ok

John :

is it almost done

Customer:

it is done. I'm just doing passwords etc

John :

ok do i need to wait or can you do that by yourself

Customer:

I can do the rest myself. Many thanks for your help!

John :

You are welcome

Everything seems to be working fine so please don’t forget to click ACCEPT button in this chat page & leave a POSITIVE Feedback. That’s the only way i get paid for the services that I have provided to you. Some Bonus will be well appreciated

John :

Have a Great God Blessed Day

Customer:

You have been a great help. I will press all the right buttons for the work you have done.

John, Computer Specialist
Experience: MCP, RHCE