Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience:  Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.
51029781

My microsoft word has disappeared from my computer. My documents

My microsoft word has disappeared from my computer. My documents are still there, but I used to have the icon on my desktop and all of a sudden it has disappeared. I don't know how to get it back - how to find it. Another question: I also have a document that is "read only" and I can't get it to go back to normal. When I go to properties to see if the box 'read only' is check, it is not checked.
Can you help me?
Marie
Category: Computer
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Please try the following. Click start and in the search box right above start type winword.exe and press enter, let me know if word opens when you do this.

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I did that and no matches come up.,

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
So word did not start when you type winword.exe please try once more.

If not do the following:

Click Start and go to Computer\C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

Inside the Office14 folder look for a file called winword.exe

Thank You
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I typed in the wrong thing. When I typed in winword.exe it took me to winword and then to a blank page.
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
So word did open correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Great. Please try the following to get your shortcut back.

Click Start
Choose All Programs
Click Microsoft Office
Right Click Microsoft Word
Choose Send To and Click Desktop
graphic
This will re-create your shortcut

If you need further help please do not hesitate to reply back and let me know.

Thank You

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Microsoft Word is not listed in the Microsoft Office group. That's the problem. If it were, I would know how to get my shortcut back. Why would it have disappeared like that?
Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure why it disappeared from there, could be a number of things. We know that you still have the program so in order to create the shortcut you will need to browse to the folder with winword.exe

Click Start and go to Computer choose C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14

Locate winword.exe in the Office14 folder and right click and choose send to.

Let me know how this goes.

Thank You

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It worked. I have word on my desktop. I had a second part of my problem however. I have a document which is read only. When I try to delete it, it tells me that it is open in word and it won't let me make any changes to it. I think this has to be releated to my Word program disappearing off my desktop because both things happened about the same time. It seem to me like Word disappeared and took my document as hostage. Even after I shut the compter down completely and then open the doc again, it tells me that it is open in Word and I can't change it.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Are you trying to delete this document or just be able to edit it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This is a document that I change all the time, so I am trying to edit it and then save it with the same name, but it won't let me save it with the same name. I have to change the document name every time I make a change on it.

Expert:  Chris L. replied 2 years ago.
Try this:

Right Click the file and choose properties. Then Choose the Security Tab at the top. Make sure your user name is XXXXX XXXXX owner.

Honestly the quickest fix for this problem is simply to save it with a new name OR open a blank word document and select all text on the read only doc and copy to your new blank document and than use that. The issue is you're dealing with a somewhat corrupt document to copying it to a brand new document from scratch is the best answer.

If you need further help please let me know.

Thanks

Chris L., Support Specialist
Experience: Certified Computer expert with over 10 years experience.