Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

According to my system information I have IE-8-Cipher Strength

According to my system information I have IE-8-Cipher Strength 128bit-Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Pk. 3 Sys. Type X86.
At times when I access certain websites, I will get the message "Your using an outdated Browser" "Update Your Browser" "click here"..so I click..it brings me to download IE-7..then it shows I can download IE-9 but I need IE-7 before I can do that.
I'm really confused!!! I know what it is stating..I just can't figure out why I should go backwards then go forward.. If I have IE-8 why do I have to revert to IE-7.? Why does it matter what version I have?
Thank You

RichieMe :

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

RichieMe :

I do not know why you get this message as you should not. If you are using Windows XP, then Internet Explorer 9 cannot be installed on your system

RichieMe :

They have only developed Internet Explorer for Windows Vista and Windows 7

RichieMe :

It is most likely the web page as been optimised to run with Internet Explorer 9, but this wont be an option to you whilst you have Windows XP

RichieMe :

I can suggest as a workaround that you use Google Chrome which can be freely downloaded from this link

RichieMe :

www.google.com/chrome

RichieMe :

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to let me know

Customer:

Your answer as of now is acceptable, I need to find out exactly why it tells me to upgrade..even my Google mail account tells me to upgrade.Why would I need IE-7? You stated IE-9 cannot be installed on Windows XP. (I know this now-thank You) What is "Optimised"..?Either this computer has been optimised or comprimised!!!

RichieMe :

It is due to all websites starting to stop support for Internet Explorer 8

RichieMe :

It is a mistake on the website to say you need IE 7

RichieMe :

Optimized means (sorry for the Lingo) that is is developed to run best with IE 9

RichieMe :

The simplest and most cost effective solution for you is to download the latest version of Google Chrome which does run with Windows XP, and sites work very well with this

RichieMe :

The download link is available here

RichieMe :

Feel free to ask if you need more information

Customer:

Thank You for that, I tried Google Chrome,and I heard it is good for safe web activity but I don't care for it and I really don't understand it..to many options and steps to follow. It beats up my google mail.. I like simple matter of fact solutions and instructions

RichieMe :

You dont need to worry about those options (it is set to safe by default)

RichieMe :

I urge you to try it (I use it) and you will find it very simple and similar to IE in use

RichieMe :

I only urge this, as to upgrade to IE9, you will need to upgrade your computer to Windows 7 which will cost approx $100

RichieMe :

As Google Chrome is a safe, good and free solution, I would very much like you to save on this unessesary cost

Customer:

Thank You Goodbye