Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

I have been having trouble getting into my gmail account from

I have been having trouble getting into my gmail account from my Apple Macbook for about a week and keep getting a message that says GMAIL IMAP server rejected the password XXXXX user "mackaystudio". So, I finally tried going online and then signing into my gmail that way and it worked. But in doing so, I got a message about "suspicious activity" on my account when I was signing in. Today, I noticed a red "Warning: we believe your account was recently accessed from Serbia:" and then a series of numbers"109.92.100.201". What should I do. I have just emailed payment information for a fairly large business transaction and, while there were no passwords or bank access PIN numbers in the information, there was the address of my bank and transaction reference numbers and I am quite worried. What should I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.

BestComputerExpert :

Hi my name is Jeremy, I would like to assist you with your question. I am an expert here on JustAnswer.com in the computer field.

How are you doing today?

BestComputerExpert :

Let me do a quick IP trace to see where that 109.92.100.201 originated

Customer :

I am worried about this problem.

BestComputerExpert :

It is possible that some one may have phished your password to advertise to your contacts (sending spam)

BestComputerExpert :

I can help you out though, no worries.

BestComputerExpert :

I have been a computer tech a little over 15 years now :) you are in good hands.

Customer :

Thank you. I have no experience with this kind of problem.

BestComputerExpert :

It does appear that somone in Serbia has accessed your Gmail, however 99% of the time they use your account to send messages to your contact that appear to be coming from you.

BestComputerExpert :

Here is what we need to do:

BestComputerExpert :

First we need to change you r password.

BestComputerExpert :

Then we need to use Google's Unlock Captcha (this should let you use Mac Mail again)

BestComputerExpert :

Then we need to update your password in Mac Mail

Customer :

OK how do I start?

BestComputerExpert :

First we need to login to Gmail through the webmail interface

BestComputerExpert :

Let me give you a direct link

BestComputerExpert :

mail.google.com

BestComputerExpert :

Click this link and Sign in

BestComputerExpert :

Next it should take you to the Inbox

BestComputerExpert :

On the right hand side there is a gear button click on the gear and choose settings

BestComputerExpert :

Let me know when you are there.

Customer :

OK, that's done

BestComputerExpert :

Great, now we want to click the accounts and import tab

BestComputerExpert :

You want to choose change password

BestComputerExpert :

Once you change your password click the save button

BestComputerExpert :

I recommend using something at least 8 characters long with numbers and letters

BestComputerExpert :

Avoid using dates, family memember names, pet names, etc

BestComputerExpert :

When it finishes saving also under the accounts and import tab there is an option to change password recovery options

BestComputerExpert :

Click on this and scroll down Security Question. Change the security question (Just in case whoever had access to your account didn't set one so they could re-gain access)

Customer :

Problem: I used the password I have always used for my gmail account and it says it is incorrect.

BestComputerExpert :

Let me know when you get this far.

BestComputerExpert :

That's strange, didn't you just login with that password?

BestComputerExpert :

Make sure the cap locks are not on

Customer :

yes

Customer :

I tried the security question and that worked but my old password did not. However, I have now chosen a new password and it tells me that it is a strong one. What's next?

BestComputerExpert :

Now we need to do the Google Captcha Unlock

BestComputerExpert :

Let me grab that link for you

BestComputerExpert :

This should let Gmail work again on your mac.

BestComputerExpert :

Click this link and press continue

Customer :

I have a message that says this verification will expire in 10 minutes. What now?

BestComputerExpert :

Open the Mac Mail Program

BestComputerExpert :

In Mail click the mail menu and choose preferences

BestComputerExpert :

Next click the accounts tab

BestComputerExpert :

Click your Gmail account , highlight the old password and click delete

Customer :

Where do I find preferences?

BestComputerExpert :

Type the new Gmail password

BestComputerExpert :

Which mail program do you use?

Customer :

I'm not sure - how do I find out the program?

BestComputerExpert :

Which icon do you click to open your email

Customer :

The little stamp on the dashboard

BestComputerExpert :

Great :)

BestComputerExpert :

Go ahead and open that up

Customer :

I did

BestComputerExpert :

Try to check your email it should prompt the password is incorrect and have you type the new one in

BestComputerExpert :

If it does not appear let me know and we will manually update it

Customer :

Ok, I used the new password box opened up and it looks like it's giving me new messages

BestComputerExpert :

Thats great :)

BestComputerExpert :

You should be good now but.

BestComputerExpert :

If you receive any strange emails that appear to be coming from Google

BestComputerExpert :

Ignore them

BestComputerExpert :

They are fake and will try to steal your password again

BestComputerExpert :

If you could add our chat to your bookmarks

BestComputerExpert :

You can return anytime and chat with me, even if it's not Google related, I am a computer tech

BestComputerExpert :

Also press the accept button and leave positive feedback, don't hesitate to return anytime :) My name is Jeremy again.

Customer :

Thank you so much Jeremy, I would really appreciate that. I am not sure how to add this to my bookmarks. How do I do that - sorry I am such a neophyte - as you can tell, my university years were back in the days I used an electric typewriter to prepare my essays.

BestComputerExpert :

Not a problem it was a pleasure thanks for all your patience it was great meeting you, i hope you'll come back if you need anything

BestComputerExpert :

I enabled the accept button on our chat it should be clickable now

BestComputerExpert :

When you press accept please leave positive feedback

Customer :

Cheers,

BestComputerExpert :

:) Also have a great upcoming weekend

Customer :

Joan

Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.