Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

administrator logon fails despite using correct password

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

What's the full error message? Are you able to use the computer at all?

Are you able to go to safe mode (press key F8 after turning on the computer), and log in?

What's the brand and model of the computer? Does it have windows xp, vista, or 7?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the computer is a dell XPS laptop running Windows Vista business version

I don't get an error message as such - its just reverts to the orginal log on screen with the different user log-in options, both of which work normally, but they do not have admin user rights.

Do you mean you can use both accounts, but both don't have admin rights, i.e., you cannot install/uninstall programs, etc.?

Have you tried safe mode to see if this issue occurs in safe mode? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will log off and try this - how do I get baack to you after I have done this?
You can add to favorites this web page to get back to me later. Here's what you can do in safe mode:

Please try this: turn off your computer. Then turn it on, and right after the black screen with white text or the computer company logo disappears, press & release key F8 repeatedly until a menu appears, then you select Safe Mode with Networking (note: if there is no menu, then try the same steps again, but this time, press key F8 a bit earlier). Then login and click Start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore and restore the computer to any date before this issue has occurred.

Next, please go to Safe Mode with Networking again, then click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
(Do not buy anything; just use its free feature.)

Thank you.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had this problem for some time but it has niot been an issue for me until I now need to renew my antivirus, whicch cannot be done without logging in as administrator. I cannot remember how long ago it was that the laptop worked correctly. So I think I will have to find an alternative solution. I don't think your service can help so I do not wish to proceed. pleasae confirm herefore that i will not be charged
I will continue to work with you to resolve this issue; we guarantee our service.

Do you mean you cannot log in your administrator account? Can you try safe mode to see if you can log in your administrator account? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now logged on in Safe mode. The error message when i use the aDMIN PASSword XXXXX "your user profile was not loaded correctly - see event log". Iit then loaded in default mode i.e. not as system administrator.
In safe mode, please go to Start, control panel, user accounts and see if you can create a new administrator account, then restart the computer normally, and log in the new administrator account and you should be able to use the new administrator to install programs, etc.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It shows that I am logged in as the administrator and I can change password XXXXX picture but I can't add or manage user accounts
Are you still in safe mode? What happens when you try to add or manage user accounts?

Can you try logging the other account also in safe mode? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes i am still in safe mode. When i try do manege user acciounts nothing happens when I click on the icon. The only icons that respond to a click are the password XXXXX picture change options
Can you click on Start, then right-click on Computer, then click on Manage, then open Local Users and Groups, then open Users, then can you create a new account there? Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have done that
Were you able to create a new account? If so, there, right-click on the new account, then click on Properties, then click on Member of tab , then click on Add..., then enter Administrators in the box, and click OK. Then then restart the computer normally, and log in the new account and check. Thank you.

Experience: Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have now completed this and the problem seems to have been resolved for now thanks
Great. You're welcome. Thank you.