Mary
Mary, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20+ years working with both Mac and Windows computers and peripherals
44751453

Trying to access our security camera system

Customer Question

Trying to access our security camera system, The ActiveX program will not download due to "unknown publisher". The URL is 192.168.1.60/. How can I get the control to download in order to access the security system?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your computer issue.

What you'll need to do is allow (or at least prompt you to allow) the download of unsigned ActiveX applications.

In order to give you the instructions however, I need to know which browser you are using (IE, Chrome, Firefox, etc)...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For the security cameras, I am using Internet Explorer. That is IE9.
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Ok, easy to do:

In IE, select the Tools Menu
Select Internet Options
Select the Security Tab

Toward the bottom of the window, click the Custom Level button
In the window that appears, enable the items highlighted in the illustration below:

graphic

Click OK and close the windows.

Quit and restart IE. You should now be able to access your camera.

NOTE: this option does allow for the non-promped running of any and all ActiveX content. If you're only using IE for the camera, this won't be a security risk.

From what you said, it sounds like you use another browser for your normal internet stuff but, if you use IE for anything other than the camera, I recommend you change both items to "Prompt." You will then be given the choice whether you want to run the ActiveX content.
Mary, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 20+ years working with both Mac and Windows computers and peripherals
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your Expert answered your Computer questionShould I upgrade to IE 10? should I disable AVG 12?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your Expert answered your Computer questionHave you been able to access the cameras with the URL I sent? Is it possible for you to access my computer and go through the process? I discovered tha though I can access the security system on the computer connected to the common router, I cannot access through my home computer. I have a 5 port switch with the modem, Voip and router connected. should I connect the security systems to the 5 port switch?
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Hi.

I'm not able to do a remote access into your computer, but other of our experts are.

I'll ask one of them to take over and continue assisting you.

You don't need to do anything. Another expert will join this discussion shortly.

Mary
Expert:  amit.gzp786 replied 2 years ago.
Greeting!
Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.
Are you still looking for help? Contact me with details and deadline so that I can start working on this and deliver it to you within you deadline.Waiting for response.
Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

As you see from my last response, I need to set my Netgear N300 router to access these two security camera systems. Can you get access to my computer to go through this process? My Internet service provider is NexgenAccess.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Answer did not work. I also found that I need to set the router to permit access from the internet. I do not know how.
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I do appreciate the accept, but I suspect it might have been a mistake.

No worries however. I've asked one of my experienced colleagues to step in to continue to assist you and if he is able to solve your problem, I'll make sure your payment is transferred to him.

Although I wasn't able to solve your problem, I am monitoring your question to make sure you are helped.

Mary
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you!Laughing I did not get a reply from the second person, I need someone who can access my computer, or walk me through the process of setting up the router to permit access from the internet to these two security camera systems.
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
No problem at all.

I've requested some of my colleagues look at our discussion and try to help.

What I suggest we first do, however, is refer this to our customer service department so that the mistaken accept can be credited back to you. That way, there won't be confusion in the payment when you do get the remote access help you need.

Mary
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX have been repairing Computers Professionally for over 13+ years and currently own a Shop in FL.

I am able to remotely connect to you and fix your problem. Just so we're on the right page, are we still having problems viewing the DVR due to the "Unknown Publisher" error, or has that been fixed and your having another issue? If were still dealing with the "Unknown Publisher" from a H.264 Remote Setup DVR, there are actually a couple more things that need to be changed in the Security Options. Let me know.

Thanks,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I cannot download the add-on for the one system, however I also need to be able to acess these cameras from the internet.
Expert:  Carl L replied 2 years ago.

To be able to access them from the internet, you will have to have a Static IP. A Static IP is an additional service that you can get through your Internet Provider. Call them and have it activated on your line. It usually runs about an extra $15 a month. It takes about 5-7 days for them to set it up. Once it's all setup, let me know and I'll guide your through the rest. As for the other, make sure the "Internet" Security Settings are set like this:

graphic