Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 280 with XP Sp3 operating system. I

Customer Question

I have a Dell Optiplex GX 280 with XP Sp3 operating system.
I keep getting a Blue Screen warning 0x00000050 ..... and after rebooting the computer it goes away for sometime but then comes back.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Click Start > Run and type msinfo32 then press enter. In the System Information window click File > Export then save the file as .txt somewhere you can find it. Upload it http://wikisend.com then let me know the File ID.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Maggie, I am not at the computer. It's at my office 40 miles away and I didn't want to travel over there unless I thought I could fix it fairly easily. Do you think I could do it in an hour or two and will you be around for a couple of hours. This has been a long day for you.
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
I will be logging off soon and without seeing the msinfo file wouldn't be able estimate a repair time. You can return here with requested information at anytime more suitable to you and I will respond as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So once you have the report, you might have a better idea of what to expect. Okay. Thank you. I don't think I'll go over there tonight. Maybe later tomorrow afternoon.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Yes the 0x00000050 is only part of a blue screen error and can point to a few different problems. The msinfo file will shed lots more light on the situation.

I will be available all day tomorrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Maggie - I downloaded the System Info -- the file id is 321312.
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I will go through that report just now and get back to you shortly.

How often do you get the blue screen? Does it happen randomly or when doing certain things? Right-click My Computer and select Properties. Click the Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect. Next time you get the blue screen it will stay on screen, write down the entire text and post that here. Hold the power button to shut down.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The blue screen is random and doesn't seem to have any pattern to it.

I wrote down what it said the last time. I will type it in here. Do you still want me to do the Right click on my computer and select properties.....?

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Page_fault_In_Nonpaged_Area

If this is the 1st time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware/software manufacture for any window update you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use SafeMode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and the select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF08A157C, 0x00000000, 0x8o5o36AE,0x000000002)

Beginning dump of physical memory

Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system Administrator or tech support for further assistance.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
No you won't need to change the auto restart setting now.

The report shows a problem with device USB\VID_0424&PID_A700\5&13069516&0&3

Open Control Panel > Device Manager and click the cross next to Universal Serial Bus controllers.

The device we are looking for will be listed as USB Root Hub but you may have a few. The one we are looking for may have a red cross or yellow exclamation mark. To find the correct one right click one and select Properties. Click Details then and in the drop down box under Property select Hardware Ids.

Once you find USB\VID_0424&PID_A700\5&13069516&0&3 close the property window and right click the corresponding USB Root Hub and select Uninstall.

Restart the computer. On startup Windows should re-install the device, check in Device Manager to make sure it doesn't have any exclamtions or crosses.

Let me know here if you get another blue screen.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm having trouble locating the Device Manager - does it have another name?
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Click Start > Control Panel and it should be listed in there. You may need to click Classic View at the left.

Let me know if you can find it now.
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I am thinking wrong. For XP in Control Panel double click on System then select the Hardware tab, there should be a Device Manager button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found it and uninstalled it. It did have a yellow flag beside it. Device manager was in the Systems -then hardware ...

Okay I'm going to reboot now.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Yes I realised and had posted correction just before you replied. OK let me know if the yellow has gone after Windows re-installs it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

1st when I rebooted it the "Windows is starting up..." screen froze up and I waited a little while and then shut it down by pushing the on off switch on the front of the computer. When it restarted it seemed slow but it did restart ok.

2nd, when I checked the hub it had the yellow flag again - it's name isXXXXX How did you know this was causing the problem?

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
The log shows this part

[Problem Devices]

Device PNP Device ID Error Code
Generic USB Hub USB\VID_0424&PID_A700\5&13069516&0&3 This device cannot start.

Please visit http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04 and download and install the Chipset driver for your model.

Restart the computer and let me know if you still have the yellow exclamation

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well I downloaded it and ran it and it made all my fonts on my desktop really small and it want let me change them back. It says I need dos app.fon on Windows SP Pro. That's just a minor problem, I think.

The yellow warning is still there.

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify it was R79695.EXE you installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't know - I wrote down version 6.14.104543 - actually I see on my desktop it was

R126541

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I went to the Dell support site, it asked I want it to analyze the computer and it did and that was the only option that I saw that was chipset. Do I need to remove it and then find the other one?
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
No your version is more updated than one I was seeing. I'm afraid I am out ideas, I will opt out so another expert can help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh no!
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
What?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I was so hoping you were going to be able to help.

Is there a way to remove the R126541 so my fonts are back to normal size?

Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, I have notified another expert who may be able to help further, if he can't your question will be returned to our pool of online experts.

You can restore back to a time before the install from Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'll be in touch regarding the other computer that we were working on. Thanks.
Expert:  Maggie P replied 2 years ago.
You are very welcome.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks again for your help. Just an update on what happened after we last talked.

I got the yellow warning to go away. I did the disable off and then back on.

The problem now, is when I start up the computer the screen freezes at, Window is starting .... Then I have to manually turn the computer off and the when I push the button to restart, it restarts the second round, it seems to work ok. I don't think it's quite right yet.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 years ago.

Please make sure you have some good amount of free space on the C: drive.

Please click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and install the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software. Then scan your computer:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Please download and install the CCleaner program:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

, then open it and run both the Cleaner and Registry options.

If needed, back up your files, then do full disk check:

1. Open My Computer.

2. Right-click the C: drive, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. Then check both boxes and click on Start, and confirm, then restart the computer; this can take long up to an hour or more.

Also, go to Start, All programs, Accessories, System Tools, and run both the Disk Cleanup and Disk defragmenter.

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for this help. I will give it a try and let you know. Again thank you so much for you help. I hope this will fix it.

Leroy

You're welcome. Please take your time and let me know via this web page how it goes any time. Thank you.