Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Microsoft and Apple Certified IT Engineer - 13 years experience with home users as well as small, medium and large businesses
65126503

I am trying to install Rosetta Stone German on my MacBook Air.

Customer Question

I am trying to install Rosetta Stone German on my MacBook Air. It has a Super Drive external disc reader that plugs into the USB port in the MacBook Air, because there is only one actual USB port I bought a Belkin 4 port so that I could plug in the headset. The CD reader brings up Rosetta Stone if it is in the 1 USB port on the MacBook Air but when I try to plug it into the Belkin 4 port it will not take the CD even though the Belkin has a green light illuminated. I have tried shutting down the computer and bringing it up again so that it could recognize the 4 port but that didn't work either. Help would be so much appreciated. Daryl Haas
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 5 years ago.
Hi Daryl,

I'm guessing that the Belkin USB hub isn't providing sufficient power for the CD drive - can you let me know the model number of the Belkin hub?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Belkin Swivel Hub, I do not see a model number but just realized that there is a charging cord in the package and I am charging it now. Daryl Haas
Thanks - with the power cord attached that should be sufficient for the CD drive to operate.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

Steve
Experience: Microsoft and Apple Certified IT Engineer - 13 years experience with home users as well as small, medium and large businesses
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to justanswer. I am Jins here to assist you. One of my friend purchased this device to function with a macbook air and a superdrive external CD drive. The drive does not function when plugged in this way. Belkin customer support informed us that this hub does not supply sufficient power when plugged in to these higher power external devices (we did have the external power plug attached to the Belkin hub as well).

Called Apple as well and they said that the macbook air's USB device sends power at a different rate than most standard devices and this was why there was no compatibility.

But BELKIN F5U237v1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 7-Port Hub is compatible with macbook.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817394008&cmre=belkin_usb_7-_-17-394-008--Product

Regards
Jins