Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

windows 7 will not load

Customer Question

windows 7 will not load
Category: Computer
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

Good evening. Thanks for using JustAnswer. I'm XXXXX XXXXX, a/k/a "DrKlahn."

Some additional information will be helpful to determine what the nature of the problem may be.

Does the manufacturer's splash screen show when the system is first powered up?

Is there any indication that Windows is trying to load?

Is there any error message displayed?

If you repeatedly press F8 while the system is trying to start, does the system display the Advanced Boot Menu? (shown below)

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
usually it just has a dark screen but when typed F8 it went to the advanced boot screen but because windows will not load it tries to go to a recovery mode but thats useless and nothing seems to load.
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. Can you get the system into Safe Mode from the Advanced Boot Menu by using the arrow keys to get down to that line?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope, it goes to a recovery screen and it will sit there all night and do nothing.
Expert:  DrKlahn replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. This is a situation where a Windows 7 installation or recovery DVD is required. It is also a relatively high-risk operation, and something I am not comfortable doing over the Internet.

I recommend locating the Windows 7 installation or recovery DVD that was supplied with your computer. You will need this to do the repair. I will pass this question back to the available question pool, and another Expert should pick it up shortly. I wish you a successful and speedy conclusion to this problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
k
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

Turn off the computer, and then push the power button and turn it back on. As soon as you hit the power button, also start tapping F8. You'll get a boot menu. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard and the enter key to select SAFE MODE. Tell me what happens from there, if it boots, or if you get any error messages.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, scroll back up. When I go into Safe Mode it tries to go to a recovery mode and it will just hang there all night and not do anything. been there. Windows 7 fails to load. It has a system disc and boots to the disk but does not load.
What is the make and model of this computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Acer Aspire
OK, turn the machine completely off. Then, when you turn it on this time, hold the ALT key and hit F10 about once every half second. This should bring you into recovery option for your computer. You'll want to pick the factory restore or similar option, and understand that this will wipe out any of your personal data such as pictures or documents you may have saved on that computer. If you need to back things up first, and you don't know how, you can feel free to request me in another question as that is another fairly involved topic if you have a computer that isn't booting at all as you do. If you don't need any data backed up, then proceed with the system recovery.

Please click on Accept button if this answer has helped you , There is no additional charge for clicking accept. You can follow up with me on this question even after clicking accept. This is how we techs get credit for our time with you. Thank You.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still didn't work.
I suggest you try that at least a few times, because the next option will be for you to get the set of recovery CD's or DVD for that computer and boot off of them. You said before you have some sort of "system disc". If you put it in , power off, and power on, then try tapping F2 for a one time boot menu. If you get this, select the CD drive, and boot to system recovery. Note that this boot CD you have should say something like "System Recovery DVD" on the outside of it.

If you aren't able to get ANY of the above working, then you'll have to resort to an OEM Windows 7 CD and reinstalling windows "manually". In most cases, this is best left to a trusted local computer pro to do for you A) because you won't have the CD and B) there are more technical steps involved in completing the operation.

This really sums up the options you have to restore that system, and without being able to even boot into safe mode, you DO need to perform a full recovery one way or another.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I already have that the system disc and five Acer recovery discs the computer is set to boot to the disc but windows will not load.
Expert:  D. Marino replied 2 years ago.
Hi and Welcome to Just Answers, My name isXXXXX just popped in for a quick thought here. I see the other tech is working hard for you trying to get your system working. I was reading this post and wanted to ask you to try this, sometimes it's the simple things that work best. You said you can get to the advanced boot screen menu but when you choose safe mode it drags you back to a recovery right. Well can you try to boot into safe mode with the F8 key and choose this option once to see if it works. Look on the screen for "last known good configuration (advanced)" and see if the system starts it may be slow but can fix the boot up trouble. See picture I highlighted the option in yellow for you.: graphic Now if that doesn't do the trick and get your system to load to windows 7 try this next option, start in safe mode again and choose "safe mode with command prompt" I highlighted it in yellow see picture: graphic Now if you are able to get this option to work when the command prompt box opens type this in exactly and hit enter on the keyboard. type: sfc /scannow hit enter on the keyboard. This may be enough to fix the hard disk boot option. And last but not least you have been using the steps above to get the computer to start from the disk but it is not allowing you to do so (right?) You can set the computer to start from a disk in the bios menu and that would make the computer start from your disks to fix the boot menu so the system can start up. There is a way to run a repair install to fix this instead of wiping the whole computer out and starting fresh. I can walk you through those steps if the above things I gave you don't work just let me know ok. So send a reply to continue with me or the other techs so one of us can jump back in to walk you through. Thank You and God Bless Good luck :) Denise
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I could get to a Safe mode anything my problems would go away. This problem is bigger than that. Windows 7 will not load and though I can get to F2 and F8 and F12, it doesn't seem to help and yes, I do have a system disk and five recovery discs. Any other ideas?

Expert:  D. Marino replied 2 years ago.

Ok thanks for the info. I am sorry I must have missed that above. So let me ask you this please, when you start the computer and hit the F2 (setup screen) are you able to change the book order on the motherboard to have the system start from the cd instead of the hard drive? I don't mean the F12 screen where it allows you to change the boot order for a one time boot. I would like to know if you can change the boot order on the motherboard screen ok. Just let me know if you can or have tried to start things this way so I can try to walk you through the repair Thanks Denise.

Expert:  D. Marino replied 2 years ago.
Well not sure where you went so I will opt out of this question so the others can continue working with you. Without back and forth responses the problem never gets solved and unfortunately I will be out of town for a week so please continue with the great experts whom have been trying to help you my friend. Wish you the best and thank you for allowing me to try and help. God Bless Denise
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 2 years ago.

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes my problem contiues my laptop is set to boot to the cd but it still will not load the recovery discs I have. I may need to take somewhere to be fixed but if so many techs can not help me online I'm uncertain if I want shell out the money to have fixed somewhere else and how do I know I'm getting a deal on service and how do know whom is better over another. If I can do it online I'd rather do that. But my back-up pc is very old and very slow, My laptop that is not working is 500GB and in comparision my old pc is 750MB quite a difference.

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is Michael. I will try to pick up where your previous Experts left off.

Can you please provide the model number of your Acer Aspire?

Also, can you please tell me what recovery disks you have? Are these all disks that were created from the computer, or are they from the manufacturer? If the latter, can you please tell me what each one is labeled? Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

5253bz628 I think.

I have a system disc and five recovery discs.

The System disc does not seem to play very long and the disc just sort of stops, so I'm uncertain if its the disc, or it just apart of the problem having with windows 7 not loading.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My discs are two sets of backup discs, one created by backing up and the other sent to me by Acer. Both are essentially the same set.
OK. Then you do have what you need to do a restore. That's good news. There is only one disk that will boot you into the recovery options. The rest are not bootable.

If you boot from the correct disk, it should bring you to recovery mode, but it will be functional, unlike when you try to get to it through F8. There are two ways to bring about this recovery mode so you can do the restore:
Press ALT+F10 right after turning the computer on.
Boot from the bootable recovery disk.

Once you do this, you should be in recovery mode, and you should have a few options from which you can select.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It goes to an Acer eRecovery Management screen and it will hang there until Hell freezes over. I've left it on for two days and it goes no where.

Are you booting using ALT+F10, or the recovery disk?

Are you able to get into the BIOS on startup? If you can do that, then you can set the BIOS back to it's defaults.

The model number you gave me is the correct information. I was able to find a BIOS update that may help. Please go to the following link - it will download the latest BIOS for your computer. Once it's extracted, you will have to put it on a DOS boot device like a flash drive to run the file. I've also included a link to the instructions to do that.

Acer BIOS Download

Creating a DOS Boot Device

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It goes to an Acer eRecovery Management screen then says wait a moment and the cursor goes around and around for days on end.

I did once get it a splash screen with a like bird in the bottom next to a flower lower right screen but it never advanced past that.

Another time I got it to a boot error edit, something about an error in Partion 3 and NOEXCUTE=(a string of other info)

But I think its time, I find a computer tech that knows more than I do. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
You've already found one.

Is there a reason why you do not want to follow the instructions that I gave you for the BIOS update? It took me a while to find that, so you might want to use it.

Pleas remember to click accept - its the only way I will get credit for helping you.

Experience: 20 Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never used a flash drive but I bought one on my way home from work about 10pm. I have managed to get MS DOS but I'm uncertain what to do now or how to place the bios in the root directory.

Ok... this is excellent that you've gotten this far. You are saying that you are able to boot from the flash drive, correct? If that's the case, just plug the flash drive into the computer with the downloaded bios files. Then just copy everything from under the DOS folder to the flash drive. You can even drag and drop it. What you want to end up with is those files on the flash drive, but not in any folders.

You should end up with a flash drive that looks something like this:

F:\

P5Wx6116.fd

P5Wx6116.bat

FLASHIT.EXE

In addition to whatever is there to make it boot.

Then, when you boot to the flash drive, all you should have to do is type:

P5Wx6116.bat

and press enter.

The update should take it from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it says bad command or file name.

I'm wondering if it might be the hard drive, that needs to be replaced and what that might cost? The laptop is about 14 months old and out of warranty.
Is this when you boot and type the .bat command?

If you copied those files to the root of the flash drive, then they should be there when you boot from it. To list the contents of the drive under Linix type
ls
and press enter

You should see it there. Since linux is a little different in the way to handle media, the drive is like another folder. You can get there by typeing
cd <moountpoint>

For example
cd /media/flashdrive
If that's where it was mounted.

Once you are there, then you should be able to see and execute the .bat

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
its setup at present to boot to the flash drive since other options don't seem to be working well. When it goes to DOS it opens to C:/> then I add the P5Wx6116.bat and press enter. Then I get Bad command or filename.

The first time I set everything up, I left everything in the folders but I reformatted and put a fresh install and removed the folders.

Though I have a recovery set that does not seem to load. I read on the windows7 forums that I could download a copy of windows7 because the key code is under the laptop. Because I might not want all the added stuff thats on the preset recovery set. I wondered whether the recovery set is corrupted and maybe thats why having problems. But my problems continue.

I did forget that you are booting to DOS rather than Linux. But that will actually make this easier. It sounds like you still don't have those files in the root folder of the flash drive. You can look at the folders on the flash drive when you are in dos by typing DIR and pressing enter. The files I entered earier must be there in order for this to work. Can you verify that they are?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well now it says

Flashit P5Wx6116.fd/all
DOS/4GW Professional fatal error (1307): not enough memory
This would have something to do with the DOS that's booting the flash drive. Does that flash drive have a file on it called "autoexec.bat"? If so, try removing or renaming that, since it may be loading something in memory that's taking up too much of it and not allowing flashit to load.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I keep tweaking it but still having issues or either not enough memory or bad command. Is there any other files that might be creating a nuisance in DOS?
Are you getting the same error?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I first start the computer it boot to DOS and then says there is error in Config.sys line 33. The P5Wx6116.bat file in the dir file comes up as P5Wx61~1 bat so I enter it and then it usually says DOS/4GW Professional fatal error (1307): not enough memory
So I have a question when I create the Dos boot, with the hp usb flash utilty it goes to the file containing Dos which includes a cdrom folder. Then when I add the Acer bios to the root directory alone it gives me a bad command or filename message. But if I add the dos file too, it gives me the Dos/4GW.....message. At present autoex..is removed. So wondering if I'm doubling something as why it don't want to proceed?
The acer bios doesn't have to be in the root directory, really... as long as you know where to find it and how to get to it when you boot.

I'm not completely following exactly what you are saying. But you can use anything to get into the DOS environment - if you have another way to boot into dos, you can still run the batch file from the flash. You can run those files from anywhere, as long as they are all in the same place. So don't worry so much about putting them on the root of the boot disk. You can boot to DOS (of any variety DOS/4GW is one of them, but there are others) and then run the flash.

So if you are saying that you are already booting to a command line or you can using the HP sofware, then after you do just type the letter of your flash drive to get to it. For example F: and press enter. Then you can run the flash right from there. What I'm saying is booting to dos is only a prerequisite to running this flash update - it doesn't matter how you do it. Then once you are in DOS, the flash update has what it needs to run.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I reset the load up defaults and press F10, I get Edit Boot Options
Edit Windows Boot Options for: Windows 7
Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe
Partition: 3
Hard Disk: 7c2864fc

[ \NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

Is the string supposed to be there, or is something missing?
Interesting.

That line should read
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTION /MININT
]

Or something similar. Try removing the line. It sounds like you may have had a root kit on the computer.

So did the update finally work?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
nope, I'm about ready to throw in the towel.

I found my System Mechanic disc, it supposed to be able offer some emergency repair but not certain its working it tries to repair the master boot record and partition. After I run through the steps it still don't work.

Just don't seem to see an easier way to bypass everything to get the bios to update.

My system disc for Windows 7 is hiding the files when I load it into my XP Desktop Computer. I'm wondering if its possible to add the bios to system disc because its a CD-RW recordable copy or add the system disc to the flash drive, if that would help any?
As I said before, if you can boot up, it doesn't matter where the files are. If you can boot from a system disk to any dos environment, then you just have to switch over to that drive and run the flash update.

When you are in the recovery console command prompt, here are a couple of commands to try that will attempt to fix the boot sector on the drive.
Fixboot
Fixmbr

My biggest concern is that a third party utility like System Mechanic may have already done it's damage. In general I recommend that you don't use things like that, and in particular now. They usually do more harm than good.

Another way to possible get the data off that computer is if you can connect the system drive as a secondary drive in another computer. That's a last resort, but an option.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I now have blue screen of death, can it get any worse?

unmountable boot volume

Stop: 0x000000ED, (0XFFFFFA8002481B70, 0XFFFFFFFFC0000185, 0X0000000000000000, 0X000000000000000)
Do you really want me to answer that? I have seen far worse!

What did you do prior to getting this error?