technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
65369237

My computer keeps coming up with a bluescreen and a screen

My computer keeps coming up with a bluescreen and a screen with lines on it? How do you fix it?
Thanks
Category: Computer
Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using this service,

What's the make/model of this computer? Is it a laptop or desktop? Is there any error code on the screen? What happens from the moment you push the power button?

Please answer all my questions in detail so I can help you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is a HP Pavillion Slimline, Desktop. Usually, I am on internet explorer for about 10 minutes and then I get the bluescreen and a quick screen with lines. The blue screen does say it is shutting down to protect my computer/data.

Files that help describe the problem, when I click on the next screen that pops up says:

C:\Users\Gina\appdata\local\temp\WER-48375-0.sysdata.xml

and

c:\windows\minidump\032712-18579-01.dmp

Is it only with Internet Explorer, or it is more after a certain amount of time the computer has been running you get this error? Can you easily duplicate it over and over? Can you remember any change to the system or anything else (even a power brownout) that might have happened just before you started getting this error?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Probably more after a certain amount of time that the computer has been running. It happened to me when I was working in documents. Once the bluescreen goes off, I get the message that my computer has recovered from an automatic shutdown and click on start to go back into the internet and etc. Then it will do the blue screen again. I was gone in February and when I returned my heat pump had quit working and it looks as though it has a damaged circuit board and blown parts.

This computer may have physical damage, or it may just be a corruption in Windows. BSOD (Blue Screens of Death) are difficult to completely debug, and often the best approach is to backup any important data you have on the computer, do a complete system recovery, and see if the error continues. If it does, then you know it's a hardware problem, and that will require partial dissassembly of the computer and further testing work that is best done by a technician.

So, at this point, I would reboot the computer and plug in a flash drive or hard drive large enough to backup any important data you might have. Pictures, music, documents, etc. If you don't have any, you can skip this step.

Then, once you are ready to wipe the drive, turn off and turn back on the computer. With an HP, you should be able to hit F11 key and follow the on screen prompts for recovery. If this doesn't work, you'll need to use the recovery cd's or dvd's you got with the computer (boot off them). If you can't get either of those to work, you can follow up with me for further instruction.

Please click on accept button if this answer has helped youCool, This is how we computer experts get credit for our time spent helping you. There is no additional charge for clicking accept. I'm here for follow up on this question even after accepting my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.Laughing

technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science