Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Experience:  Years of experience in the IT field and in customer support.
15852642

I have Microsoft Word Starter on my computer and it no longer

I have Microsoft Word Starter on my computer and it no longer will open any documents. I tried to reinstall the emachine CD's but nothing happened. How can I get it to work again?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Which version of word is it? Can you open the program itself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's called Microsoft Word Starter 2010 and I can open it sporadically; but cannot open an existing document or get any attached documents from email.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
  1. Click Start, then click Control Panel.
  2. Click Programs and Features.
  3. Select Office 2010.
  4. Click Uninstall then click Continue. Restart your computer to make sure the removal finishes completely.

After that reinstall it from the disc but do not test it. Instead restart the computer again. Then right click an attached word document from your email and click on save as. Save it to your desktop then right click on the file on the desktop and click on open with. Choose the option at the bottom that says choose default program. Then choose word starter from the list and click on apply and ok.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you asked: it now says Run Configuration failed; I'm not sure if I did the install correctly. The only thing on each cd to "install" is autorun which I did install; the other stuff just looks like files. Help
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
What is the exact error message including any numbers?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Click-2-Run configuration failure
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have any office 2010 programs installed right now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Microsoft Office Starter (English) is still listed in programs. Should I uninstall that one?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Yes uninstall any office programs you find like that and then restart your computer. After that try to install. If you get an error give me the exact error including any numbers.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Now when I right click on the desktop document I do get choices of programs to open the file; but Microsoft Word Starter is not an option. I think my install is not going properly. Normally when I put in a disk it just installs automatically. I right clicked on all the files on each cd but only Autorun had an "install" option.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Autorun is the correct one to use when it doesn't not start by itself. Did you reinstall yet? If not please do but do not open the program restart the computer first before testing it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I restarted the computer; but still don't see the program. Should I reinstall again?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Yes reinstall and restart the computer after reinstalling
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I installed and restarted: right clicked on document in desktop and the choices of programs did come up; but no option to pick the default program. What next?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Opewn word and then click on the file/office button depending on which you have and try opening a word file.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have word; where would I open it; it is not in my programs.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Click on start and in the search box type word. The word starter you just reinstalled should show up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you asked and a program called WordPad opens; not Word Starter. Is this OK for me to use instead; I really don't care as long as I can read my attachments and type documents.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Word pad may not be the best option but if your ok with using something else I would actually recommend open office from here: Click Here It is free and will open all the same files that Microsoft office could open.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I downloaded Open Office and that seems to work. Thank you. But why was I unable to restore the Microsoft Word Starter Program?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
It is a problem with the click-2-run software that creates a virtual drive on your computer. It's buggy though so normally I recommend avoiding the new 2010 office software because of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wish we had had this conversation an hour ago. But thanks anyway for your help.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 4 years ago.
Your welcome and I would have mentioned it earlier if I knew you were ok with an alternative I apologize. I hope you have a wonderful day.