James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

what does it mean to have smtp in my login details on my g

what does it mean to have smtp in my login details on my gmail

SMTP is Simple Mail Transport Protocol.
It is the name of a mail server that processes outgoing mail messages

If you are trying to configure an email client like Outlook or Live Mail for using Gmail, your SMTP server is: SMTP.GMAIL.COM

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do realize this but doesn't it mean that there are 2 servers configured......that is what I mean...that there is another email connected ???
No, it does not mean that necessarily. You can potentially have multiple accounts, and you can have a different SMTP server for each account.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
see my boyfriend goes on my account all the time and I dont care but alla the sudden his login went from imap to smtp??? so what does that mean? and sorry but I can not seem to get logged into my account
The account has two servers configured - imap is for getting mail (incoming) and SMTP is for sending mail (outgoing) - this is the normal way email accounts are configured.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your patience with me...but why would he login all the time as Imap and now it always shows smtp? lol
No problem :)

Sounds like you are trying to send an email, and the outgoing server is requesting authentication. Use the same Gmail username and password XXXXX use for incoming email. This is (again) normal, and does happen sometimes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well it has been constant for several days now that when he logs in on my acct the details are smtp...and no, not trying to send an email....couldn't it be he has combined emails ( several servers ) I am just confused here
Check the Outbox - there may be an email in there that is trying to get sent. Delete it, and the message should go away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you mean my outbox???? not his?
Check both to make sure!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay....will do....hang on
Take your time please :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry for the delay, my laptop is loading soooo slow...and did not see anything stuck but guess what it is now back to IMAP....Looks like you knew exactly what you were talking about....Thank you, James!
You are very welcome!

Please don't forget to hit the Accept button for me so I can get credit for my time helping you.

If you have an extra 5 seconds, please also leave me positive feedback.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay and once again, sorry as this is just loading so slow....Thank you very much, James
Not a problem, happy I could help :)