Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.

I hooked up my pc to my vx32l and the screen size is too big.

Customer Question

I hooked up my pc to my vx32l and the screen size is too big. I cannot see the start button in windows, or the top row of icons. is there any to adjust the screen size like we used to do with monitors.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Dan :

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, I would be happy to help you today. You will need to adjust the screen resolution of your computer to allow a better view on your TV. If you RIGHT click on your desktop you should Screen Resolution as one of the choices. Choose a resolution of 1366 x 768 or as close as you can get and that should shrink the screen size on the TV.

Customer :

I do not have that as an option my hp video card has 1920*1080 or 1280*720 which is where it is set.

Dan :

Have you tried the 1920 x 1080?

Customer :

not an option

Customer :

of yes same condition the start button cannot see on screen

Customer :

cannot read screen at that res anyway

Dan :

Your TV only has 5 video settings compatible with a computer. If you cannot find one on your computer that will work then the only option would be to change the video card on computer itself.

Customer :

In a sinking ship then, only 2 modes on computer vor vx32l. I dropped my other tv today a viore 22" and it worked fine. but this one i will call hp to see if they have a fix thanks for the atempt

Dan :

Is there no other setting on your computer other than the two you stated above?

Customer :

not with the vx32l as a display

Customer :

and it will not let me change it it has an auto detect feature

Dan :

The TV has the auto detect feature?

Customer :

no the computer

Customer :

it knows when I change displays

Customer :

the viore would let me slide the res meter but the vizio dosen't

Dan :

So if you unplug the video cable from the computer can you change the display setting?

Customer :

??????

Customer :

as soon as i hook up the vizio it changed

Customer :

if there is no size adjustment for the tv then i am out of luck

Customer :

love your photo though

Customer :

chgange screen name to HAL

Dan :

Thanks! I would change the screen name but they really like us to use our real names. The manual on your TV isn't real clear is it? It makes it seem like you can change the TV resolution by pushing the RGB button on the remote, but I think those settings are pre-set and will be detected by the computer. Is your computer a desktop or laptop?

Customer :

desktop i7 processor 1gig mem

Dan :

Well that's good. It would be easy to change your video card to one that would have resolutions that match your TV if you want to go that far?

Customer :

rgb just blanked the screen guess i need input from another source

Customer :

not really it has built in hdtv as well

Customer :

hayppaugge i think

Dan :

Does the computer have RGB connections on it?

Customer :

but even it is showing like it is zoomed in compared to a tube tv in anothroom i can see peoples heads cut off on vizio

Customer :

no comp has only hdmi and another 1 but not vga or rgb

Dan :

So you are connecting your computer to the TV via the HDMI?

Customer :

yes

Dan :

Well that explains it. Your TV is only capable of seeing your computer through either a VGA or RGB connection, not the HDMI.

Customer :

it worked on the other flat screen with hdmi and hp made it with only the hdmi output and the other odd connector

Dan :

But the Vizio is different. Do you have your manual for the TV?

Customer :

if i use the zoom and go to 1/2 i get a smaller screen with black borders but still cannot see the start button

Customer :

no i just downloaded it from the web

Dan :

If it is the same one that I have, the information for connecting a computer is on page 22 and 23. That might help explain it better.

Customer :

ok thanks for your time.

Customer :

bedtime

Dan :

Okay, good luck.