John MBA
John MBA, Engineer
Experience:  Working as a software engineer for more than 4 years
19190971

I changed computers and want to import my old Inbox, Filed,

I changed computers and want to import my old Inbox, Filed, and Sent emails from the hard drive of my old computer to the new computer. Where can I find the winmail files on the old hard drive?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John MBA replied 2 years ago.

John MBA :

Hello

John MBA :

I am John and I will try to help you.

John MBA :

Are you using both the computers now ?

John MBA :

Which mail service are you using in Windows mail ?
Ex: Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail etc

Customer:

Thanks John. I have the hard drive of my old computer connected to the new one. I am using Windows Live Mail

John MBA :

Hotmail inside Windows Live mail ?

John MBA :

Windows live Hotmail ?

Customer:

Just Windows Live Mail from Windows 7

John MBA :

It's a mail client.

John MBA :

tell me the last 2 words in your mail id.

Customer:

my mail service comes from comcast

John MBA :

Ok

John MBA :

There are 2 approaches we have.

John MBA :

One doing the back up of Old Windows live and restore it on new one.

John MBA :

and start setting up the account from scratch.

Customer:

i can see winmail in my old program files folder on my old hard drive but i cant run it on the new computer

John MBA :

First we will try to set up the account in Windows Live mail.

John MBA :

That won't help.

John MBA :

We can't just copy paste the account details from old hard disk

John MBA :

I will give you the steps to add the account.

Customer:

ok

John MBA :

Hold on while get the settings.

John MBA :

Try the above comcast link and try to follow the instructions. I know it's for vista but it's applicable to Windows 7 too.

Customer:

I actually have my email working on the new computer. the problem is, no old mail is stored on comcast's servers - it was done on my old hard drive and now i cant find where those files were so i can import them into the new profile

John MBA :

Is it possible to connect the old hard disk as Master [Primary] and boot so we can export the folders and restore it in new one ?

Customer:

maybe if you could tell me how to do that

John MBA :

I don't want you to mess up the current system as it's working fine. Steps are pretty simple for Technicians. Remove the hard disks, Change the jumpers [will be written on the back side] to make a slave hard drive to master and vise versa

John MBA :

I will try to give you some videos so you can try of you want.

John MBA :

This link explains in details how to do change a Master to Slave. So use the same trick to do the reverse.

http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/04/23/how-to-slave-hard-drive/

Customer:

the technician took the hard drives out of my old computer in front of me when i bought the new one but i dont know if i want to try it myself on the brand new computer.

John MBA :

I won't suggest you to do it, because a small mistake can mess up the hard disk.

Customer:

the old hard drive is connected via USB right now

John MBA :

Did you try the webmail of comcast ?

Customer:

yes, but they dont save any mail once its downloaded to my account

Customer:

we have years of emails in a file somewhere on the old hard drive but i just cant find them

John MBA :

Those mails will not be stored to be easily copied and opened somewhere due to security issues.

John MBA :

You can try connecting the old hard disk on any other computer

John MBA :

As Master with help of any technitian

John MBA :

and get the back up of all the data that depends on any software installed on that old hard disk.

Customer:

so is a technician my only option?

John MBA :

Ex: Windows live, Skype chat etc

John MBA :

If you have another computer to play around you can definitely try connecting the old hard disk as a master.

John MBA :

If you can get a technician, you can connect the old hard disk [by changing the jumpers in the back] and back up the emails and other stuff removing the new hard disk.

Customer:

if i exchanged hard drives in my current computer could i export the mail file to something more easily found?

John MBA :

Once your old Windows live is up,

use the below link to export the email

http://www.emailquestions.com/windows-live-mail/2487-backup-windows-live-mail-2011-a.html

John MBA :

Once you have that exported file, save it on the hard disk somewhere easily accessible.

John MBA :

open the Windows Live and Import the backed up file.

John MBA :

That's it.

Customer:

will hard drives be easily exchangeable? old drive is a toshiba MK1637GSX, new computer is an Asus

John MBA :

That should be fine.

John MBA :

__________
Please don’t forget to click ACCEPT[bottom, right] so i can get paid for my work.Leave a POSITIVE feedback if satisfied. A Bonus is highly appreciated.
(You need to click ACCEPT even if you are a SUBSCRIPTION or TRIAL member)

John MBA, Engineer
Experience: Working as a software engineer for more than 4 years