Sandy
Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Bachelor in Technology, 7+ years of experience

Aloha, I have a Dell Inspiron with Microsoft 7 Im having

Customer Question

Aloha,

I have a Dell Inspiron with Microsoft 7

I'm having a big problem with my brokerage program. I cannot open the program. There is a blue and yellow shield attached to the program, and I do not know how to remove the shield. No one uses my computer but me, so I do not need a Parental Control block or anything else. I even uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and the blue and yellow shield was still there. The shield is not on anything else and the computer is performing great. I believe it was something that I did, but now I need step-by-step instructions to remove the shield from this program. Oh, the program is www.thinkorswim.com

Mahalo (thank you),

Herb Scott XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.
Hello Sir/Madam,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Microsoft- Certified Technician and will assist you today.

Please restore your computer to the date it was working fine:

To use System Restore

Before you start System Restore, save any open files and close all programs. System Restore will restart your PC.

1. Open System Restore by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button. In the search box, type System Restore, and then, in the list of results, click System Restore. Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, type the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
  2. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a restore point and restore your computer.

For more information, see System Restore: frequently asked questions.

Picture of System Restore

Message from Expert

Please let me know if you need further help.

Please press Ctrl+D to bookmark this page( or Add to favourites) so that you can easily return to it.

Please scroll down and click the ACCEPT button as this is only I am compensated for my time, work and efforts. You can return to this question at any time after Accepting by simply clicking Reply To Expert. Hitting Accept will not charge anything extra. Thank you! Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Sandy, Computer Specialist
Experience: Bachelor in Technology, 7+ years of experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The system restore was unsuccessful. The system restore only offered two days the 27th and 28th to restore. I started having problems on the 25 March. Do you have anyother solutions?

Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.
Please click start, click control panel, click Programs and Features and check if there is any Shield program or parental program. If yes, please remove them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
After going to the Programs and Features, I did not find any shield program or parental program. However, within the Control Panel, there are shield at the User Accounts and Family Safety section. Within this section, there is an Add or remove user account and a Set up Parental Controls for any user section
Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.
Please try this:

Please click start, click Control panel, Click User acounts

Click Remove Your Password, Enter the user account password XXX then Remove Password.

Now, click Manage Another account and remove the password.

Also, make sure that your user account has administrative previliges.

It should not be the standard user account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I went to the Manage Another account and there was no password XX remove. My user account does have administrator capability.
Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.
A. Please scan your computer using your antivirus program.

B.

I suggest you to scan your computer using the free version of anti-malware software. This will remove all of the malwares, spywares, viruses from the computer.

Note: If you have Anti-virus programs like Norton, mcafee, CA, kaspersky installed on the computer, still I suggest you to download and install Malwarebytes as the Anti-virus program does not remove Malwares generally.

Please open the following link and download free version of malwarebytes.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/

Please click download the latest verion on the top left hand side and install it.

After that, click Quick scan and click start.

It will take around 10-15 minutes to scan. Once the scan is complete. You will see a link, "Select All". You will click "Select All". After that you will click "Remove Selected"

Then you will see a pop up with options, Yes or No. Click Yes and this would restart your computer.

C. If still does not work,

Please create a new user accout.

click start, click control panel, click User accuonts and the create a new account wiht administrative previliges.

Now, restart the computer, login using the new user account.

Please try to open this program, by clicking start, all program.

Else, reinstall the program into the new user account.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I need to go to bed. I will contact you tomorrow with the results of your instructions. What time do you begin work base on EST?
Expert:  Sandy replied 2 years ago.
Please simply follow the steps, and reply back. I will be here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Sandy,

I followed all of your instructions, but my efforts failed. Now, I have two accounts and both of them have the blue and yellow shield on the Thinkorswim program. The shield is not visible anywhere else. What do you suggest I do?

Herb Scott

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The instructions I received did not fix the problem. I would like to have another Tech. to review my situation. I paid my money but with no satisfaction.
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the blue and yellow shield is normally on programs in Windows 7 which require elevated permissions to function.

When you run the program are you asked to confirm anything at all? You can try the following to remove the shield icon

To get rid of the shield, right click on the icon and select "properties". Then click on the Compatibility tab. Uncheck "Run this program as Administrator".

Then check the program still functions correctly.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Steve,

The "Run this program as Administrator" was not checked; however, the Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (service Pack 2) was checked. I have windows 7 on my laptop. Also, in the list of options, the shield appeared where it said Run as an administrator.

Thanks, no problem.

If you remove the compatibility option on the program does the shield disappear?

Also, what is happening when you run the program?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, the shield does not disappear when I remove the compatibility option. However, I want to continue to pursue this tomorrow with you. I think you are on the right track. But, I must retirer; tomorrow is a working day for me. Thank you for your help.
No problem - let me know when you are free tomorrow and we'll pick this up.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Steve,

At this point, I'm not trying to get rid of the blue and yellow shield, I just want the program to work. When I click on the icon, an UAC appears. I click on Yes but the program doesn't start. Do you have any tricks?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I paid my money but I still have my problem.
Do you get a splash screen or anything at all after confirming the UAC prompt?

Has this program worked previously on the machine? If not, I'd see if disabling the firewall makes any difference as it usually requires several open ports.

You can do this via Start-->Control Panel-->System and Security-->Windows Firewall.

Select the 'Turn Windows Firewall On or Off' and leave it off for now and then retest.

Cheers

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

Yes, the laptop was performing correctly on Sunday. I followed your instructions and the Turn Windows Firewall was not checked. Should I check it and try to activate the program?

Ok, strange it's not activated by default. Can try activating and see if that makes any difference.

Also, what other security software is installed (Mcafee, Symantec etc)?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I have Mcafee installed.

Yes, try to activate and see if it makes any difference at all (although I doubt it to be honest).

Can you also try to disable Mcafee and see if that makes a difference as well?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Steve,

To reiterate, my computer is functioning fine, the internet is preforming fine; the only problem is the shield on one program that will not run. When I click on the icon, the UAC appears so I click on it and the program shield appears then everything stops. It will not do anything from that point. I have ran a full scan of McAfee and I ran a Malware program that Sandy, TechnicXXX XXke you, gave me. Are you permitted to take over my computer and toubleshoot the problem?

I understand - I don't think a virus or malware itself is the cause of the problem. Am just wondering if Mcafee software is blocking something which Thinkorswim requires to function so a quick test of disabling Mcafee and seeing what happens when the Thinkorswim icon is clicked and UAC accepted.

Unfortunately we haven't all been given the options to use Remote Assistance, I can however opt-out and wait for an expert with this option to assist?

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I disable McAfee to preform this test?
Which version of Mcafee is installed? Depending on the version the instructions might be different but this should work.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open the Security Center
Click Advanced Menu (lower left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (upper left)
VirusScan can be disabled on the right.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Steve,

Unfortunately, my problem still exist. Prior to you helping me, Sandy had me download a free Anti-Malware software. Now, the blue and yellow shield is on the malware icon and my ThinkorSwim icon. I believe your last impression that it maybe in the security part maybe right. But, I am scare to mess with the setting, because everything is working fine except my ThinkorSwim access.

Herb Scott

Hi Herb,

I understand - I do think it is security related but I understand your concerns with disabling the software.

However, if you do disable it you can always reverse the procedure to re-enable it successfully.

If not - the only other solution I can think of would be to install the Virtual XP Mode for Windows 7 and run Thinkorswim there. Can you let me know what version of Windows 7 is installed? You can go to Start and right-click Computer-->Properties and it should be displayed there (either Home Premium, Ultimate, Professional etc).

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Aloha Steve,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium using Service Pack 1. If you have some advice on how to correct the security or what to look for, please advise.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Ok - unfortunately Microsoft don't make the Virtual XP Mode for Windows 7 available to Home Premium so that isn't going to be a workaround.

I would disable the Mcafee software temporarily and see if that makes any difference at all

Click Advanced Menu (lower left)
Click Configure (left)
Click Computer & Files (upper left)
VirusScan can be disabled on the right.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

When I right click on my McAfee AntiVirus Plus icon, I see the blue and yellow shield and next to the shield it says "Run as administrator." However, I thought I was running as an administrator. How can I verify this fact?

Herb

Hi Herb,

If you go to Start and type CMD in the search box and click Ok you should have the Command Prompt window.

Then type this command

net localgroup Administrators

and press enter.

This will then show you at the bottom of the screen which accounts are set as Administrators.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Steve,

I messed-up; I must have hit the wrong thing and now I have a blue and yellow shield on my McAfee. This blue and yellow shield deals with access control and permission.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Were you able to run this command at all and verify your account is an Administrative account?

Then type this command

net localgroup Administrators

and press enter.

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the command completed successfully. The comment says, administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain.
Hi Herb,

Thanks - and was your account name listed at the bottom of the window? Should look like this

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Steve Herrod>net localgroup Administrators
Alias name Administrators
Comment Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the compu
ter/domain

Members

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Administrator
Steve Herrod
The command completed successfully.

C:\Users\Steve Herrod>

Cheers

Steve
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, mind says

C:\Users\Herbert>

Unfortunately, my wife wants me to go shopping; I will contact you later.

Herb

Ok, let me know when convenient to send that whole command over to me. I'll be offline for a few hour shortly as well.

Cheers

Steve