Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

RA-RV

Customer Question

virus destroyed computer. Terminated because I work from home and unable to function. Tried System Restore-blocked.
Recovery console-useless.
microsoft recovery download-blocked
ESETS5 BLOCKED can't install, can't uninstall.
administrator-blocked.
system root-blocked.
task manager-processes wont end, just replicate.
hotkey unable to locate or delete.
avg-blocked
spybot-detected nothing.
safe mode blocked.
microsoft downloads blocked.
try to reinstall drivers, software manually-blocked.
administrator-blocked
system restore-blocked.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

IF you are on another computer, you can download other programs and move them to that computer and clean out all the bad stuff.

1. What is the make and model of the computer with the virus?

2. What version of Windows is on it?

3. Restart it and see if you can press F8 while it is starting BEFORE it gets to windows. Repeatedly tap that key when you start it and see if you get a menu that says advanced startup options. Select SAFEMODE with NETWORKING and tell me if it starts.

4. Do you have a USB drive or a cd burner and blank cd's?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont have another computer, USB flash, or CD. It blocks CD, flash is blocked. I cannot run recovery of XP CD.
DELL PRECISION M6300 with WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL 2002 SERVICE PACK 3. I am currently in SAFEMODE with NETWORKING and it still blocking downloads, etc. It was also blocking your website on Android phone. Kept taking me back to home page. Able to finally access on computer. It finally went through when I successfully changed Gmail address on Nexus 5 android phone which is also infected.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 years ago.

Please use another working computer: click below and click on Download Latest Version, to download and transfer the Malwarebytes Anti-malware software to an USB / flash drive, then install and scan your computer in safe mode with networking:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_malwarebytes_anti_malware/
(Do not buy anything; just use its free feature.)

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i do not have another computer. malwarebytes is on my pc and didn't detect anything
Sorry. Please back up your files in safe mode first, i.e., to an external USB hard drive.

Then insert your windows xp professional disk and then turn off the computer. Then turn on the computer, then press the key F1 (or could be F2, Del, or Esc key) when you see the computer logo appears on the screen in order go to BIOS/Setup menu. Then look for the Boot/Startup option and set the CD/DVD drive as 1st order and the hard disk drive as 2nd order. Then save and exit. Then press any key when asked to boot from the CD/DVD drive..., then don't select the first repair option when prompted, but select the option to set up windows xp, then select your windows partition, then select R key to repair windows.

If that does not work, boot from the windows xp professional disk again, then this time, just setup/install windows.

Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apparently you are not able to comprehend what i have already submitted. I do not have USB flash drive, I do not have another computer, I do not have a recovery XP CD that is operable. I have nothing to back up or save, it is gone.
All of this information was previously entered. I have used Combofix and every malware device that isn't blocked. Do you have anything as an "expert" to advise besides the obvious easy fixes I have already tried in the last 72 hours.
I'm sorry, you said you cannot run the recovery CD, so I thought you have it, but you just could not run it.

Please try this: turn off the Dell computer, then turn it on and press at the same time the two keys Ctrl and F11 when the Dell computer logo appears on the screen in order to do a system recovery.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already tried Recovery console, it does not work
I'm not sure if you are able to burn disk, but can you try the windows defender scanner:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/what-is-windows-defender-offline

If that does not work, don't try the recovery console, but just setup/install windows: insert your windows xp professional disk and then turn off the computer. Then turn on the computer, then press the key F1 (or could be F2, Del, or Esc key) when you see the computer logo appears on the screen in order go to BIOS/Setup menu. Then look for the Boot/Startup option and set the CD/DVD drive as 1st order and the hard disk drive as 2nd order. Then save and exit. Then press any key when asked to boot from the CD/DVD drive..., then setup windows to reinstall.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No connection to Microsoft. As I indicated when I try to boot from XP CD it stops the process, error message, won't boot, won't install, CD pops out, am not able to use CD.
This has all been tried in Safe Mode. My console root is completely gone.
Let me be clear WINDOWS XP CD WILL NOT FUNCTION.
What's the error message?

Sorry, was your cd/dvd drive working recently?

Do you have any other windows disk (any version) to try?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CD/dvd drive is not something I check. I don't watch movies, I have never tried to run a CD until now. Error message is always changing, flashes, gone CD is kicked out.
my other windows disk error message is that it is not an authentic Microsoft product. It came with other computer from Best Buy.
I put in a disk which has shows on it, and the message was that it was only 'readable' shows would not start.
Were you able to go to bios/setup menu and set the boot order?

Were you able to boot from the cd/dvd drive with either windows disks? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I indicated when I try to boot from XP CD it stops the process, error message, won't boot, won't install, CD pops out, am not able to use CD.
My other windows CD, error message is that it is not an authentic Microsoft product. It came with other computer from Best Buy.
I put in a disk which has shows, movies on it, and the error message was that it was only 'readable' no shows. None of media players work. As I use each one the virus disables them.
I have been in bios/setup a million times. I have set the boot order, My only choice is internal hard drive.
If you turn off the dell computer, then turn it back and press the key F12 when the dell logo appears on the screen, what are all the boot options? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
IHDD

BIOS
DIAGNOSTICS

It looks like the cd/dvd drive is not even detected/working. Can you get a USB cd/dvd drive in order to boot from the cd/dvd drive with the windows disk in order to repair/reinstall windows? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHY DON'T YOU HELP ME DOWNLOAD SOME DRIVES THAT ARE AVAILABLE AT MICROSOFT OR DELL?

IF CD, USB, EITHER IS NOT AVAILABLE OR INOPERABLE JUST HELP ME GET SOME BASIC DRIVES. JUST GET ME SIGMATEL AUDIO DRIVES DOWNLOADED
CAN YOU DO THAT?
The drivers for dell are at
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
; these are drivers for windows.

, but there is no driver when you boot/start from cd/dvd drive; the cd/dvd driver is automatically built in bios (you cannot install/uninstall it), but since bios does not even detect the cd/dvd drive, then it is bad.

Thank you.