TaylorTech
TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience:  6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
13888338

My computer is locked. It will not accept my password. No one

Customer Question

My computer is locked. It will not accept my password. No one else uses my computer.To reset the password, the computer tells me that there is No Drive. This feature requires removablbe media such as a floppy disk or USB flash drive. Please help.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.

ITTechQ&A :

Hi, Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com I am Cris and will assist you with your question.

ITTechQ&A :

Hello

ITTechQ&A :

sorry to hear about your issue.

ITTechQ&A :

Do you have a blank CD and CD burner?

Customer:

I looked at downloading a program to unlock the computer but I don't trust them

Customer:

Yes

ITTechQ&A :

Great,

Yes I understand there are so many and some really don't work.

ITTechQ&A :

However, I will help you reset the password XXXXX a free software.

ITTechQ&A :

It's called Ultimate Boot Disc we first need to download the file.

ITTechQ&A :

Here is the download link>>> UBCD Download

When you reach the site download ubcd503.iso to your desktop.

Customer:

Thank you. Why did something like this happen? It has never happened before.

Customer:

When I clicked on the download, it wasn't available

ITTechQ&A :

ITTechQ&A :

When you reach the site download UBCD503.iso to your desktop.

Customer:

I am told that "we do not find results for "ubcd503.iso" I am in Canada with internet service from Rogers. Is that the problem?

ITTechQ&A :

ITTechQ&A :

Were you able to start the download?

ITTechQ&A :

Are you still there????

ITTechQ&A :

I will be ending the chat please go to My Questions top right of page for replies or send me a message.

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
Were you able to start the download?
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
Did you want to continue working on your issue?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have inserted the disk on my computer but nothing is happening.

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
There are a few steps that you will need to do.

You have to boot to the disc.

What is the make of your PC?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dell Vostro 230ST
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
OK, start or restart the PC, once the Dell logo appears at boot start tapping F12 that will bring you to boot options.

Using the keyboard arrows select CD/DVD rom. Hit enter that will boot the PC to the disc. Then do the following to reset password.

, the first window the disc will pull up will say “Ultimate Boot CD V5.0.3 you will use the keypad to scroll down to “Parted Magic V4.10” and hit enter.

In the next window you select option 1. “Default settings “runs on RAM” hit enter.

The files will copy to your RAM and then you will reach the disc’s operating system desktop. Lower left hand corner you will see a icon which looks like a disc (first icon on system tray). When you click on it a menu will pop up click on “system tools”. Another menu will appear click on “PC Login Now”. Follow the wizard on step 2 it will show your PC login username. Highlight the name and put a check in the box “password XXXXX XXXXX”. Click “next” finish the wizard and restart the PC.

When you boot up you should have no password XXXXX the account in which you could not access.

Please let me know the outcome.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I hit the F12 key, the computer shows boot options F 12 and also F2 set up at the top right hand of the page but then it goes immediately into Windows. There is no opportunity to select Boot options.
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
When the PC first starts and you see the Dell log very beginning you need to tap on the F12 key REPEATEDLY if not it will then boot into windows.

Once it goes to boot options select CD_RON the PC will then boot to the disc.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Believe me, I have tried this task repeatedly and repeatedly tapped the F12 key but the computer keeps going right into Windows. Is this a problem with the computer itself.

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
That's very odd. Are you able to press F2 and go into the Setup menu?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried that a few times but the same happens.... Windows starts opening up immediately once the blue line below the Dell symbol gets to the end.

Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
That's very odd. You should be able to get into Boot options or Setup menu.

Are you pressing the F12 button top of keyboard?

Try the following:

Shut down the PC, once it's shut down.

Press the power button as soon as you press the power button start tapping the F12 button keep tapping it the whole time while the Dell logo appears.

See if you can get into boot options.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No dice... tried it a few times... and I am hitting the right key. I also tried the F2 key... same response...the only thing that happens is that Windows starts up.
Expert:  Cris replied 2 years ago.
OK, am this time I am out of options w/o being able to get into either message you can change the boot options. The PC needs to boot to the disc in order to go through the reset motions.

I will opt out that will open the question to other experts. Maybe someone has another solution you can try.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your assistance. My question is that is this a problem with the computer itself?

Expert:  TaylorTech replied 2 years ago.
Hiya, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been repairing and upgrading computers for over 10 years, I will help you to the best of my ability.

Do you have a copy of windows 7 OS disk?

If you do have this we can try to do a repair on your system.
In reading previous comments about not being able to access the Bios or the boot menu, I am confident that its become a serious problem with the software, not ness the computer itself.

Because your options are now minimized due to limited options you can either attempt a repair by using the system disk OR reinstall windows back to ground zero.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried the Reinstallation DVD for Windows 7 professional and the drivers and utilities DVD but neither have been helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Ii understand that the problem has been sent to other computer experts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Ok sorry, I did not get notified of your response.

Repair from disk - doesnt work
Bios access - failed
Boot Menu - failed

Your last resort is to format and reinstall you system.

All options to gain access to your computer are blocked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, we seem to have had a disconnect. How does one format and reinstall the system?
Well first thing is first, do you have important info on there which you want to keep? If you do, I have an easier suggestion for you to do new install.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let's try the easier solution.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where do we go from here?

Buy new hard drive and install full version of windows 7
Setup old drive in the computer as a secondary drive to access all your old files and use it as a storage device if you want to.

OR transfer what you do want from that drive over and take it out.

Or you can download hirens boot disk, but it will nuke your system and everything will be lost.
TaylorTech, Computer Repairer
Experience: 6 College Certificates, 16 years exp, Own Computer Business
If you have further questions my friend, please just reply here and I will help you as part of this payment. Not a problem at all :-)
Just for you...... Thanks very much for the accept and if you need ANYTHING let me know.