technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
65369237

No sound. The device manager says the device is working properly

No sound. The device manager says the device is working properly and the computer acknowleges that the external speakers are connected, howver ther is no sound ?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT_Help replied 2 years ago.

IT_Help :

Hi, Welcome to JustAnswer. This is Mahbub Shahin can assist you.

IT_Help :

Please tell me the make and model.

Customer:

eMachines Model EL1352-23e

IT_Help :

Ok

IT_Help :

download the audio driver.

IT_Help :

and complete the installation process

Customer:

did not help

Customer:

after downloading the driver, I went to device manager and tried to up date the driver and it told me that the driver was uptodate.

IT_Help :

Did you download the audio driver?

Customer:

yes

IT_Help :

Did you performed the installation process.

Customer:

let me check. Apparently not. The instalation process says the system will reboot. If it doesn't work how do i gety bact to you?

IT_Help :

Please bookmark this page.

IT_Help :

by pressing Ctrl+D

Customer:

apparently not. the system will reboot. How do I get back to you if it don't work?

Customer:

Apparently hot. The system will reboot. If it does not work, how will I get back to you?

IT_Help :

Then you can choose this page from your bookmarked site.

IT_Help :

Or at first try to play some music. Some times it works without restarting

Customer:

Still no sound.

IT_Help :

Did you download the first one.

Customer:

yes and installed same.

IT_Help :

Please try the second on.

Customer:

I did with the same results---nothing

IT_Help :

Ok click start-->control panel --> sound.

Customer:

I have the control panel open to sound.

Customer:

ok what next control panel open to sound

Customer:

control panel open to sound.

IT_Help :

ok.

IT_Help :

look at the playback

Customer:

ok what now?

IT_Help :

How many icons are there?

Customer:

One for the speakers.

IT_Help :

select it-->set as default.

Customer:

The set as default select button does not light up, so I cannot set.

IT_Help :

oh...

IT_Help :

Connect your speakers.

IT_Help :

then try this

IT_Help :

If not

Customer:

It also has a green circle with a check mark with the words default device very faded letters

IT_Help :

Click on Start>Run, then type (without quotes) "services.msc", then go down to Windows Audio, then highlight. Right click, and start service.

Customer:

Service started, still no sound.

IT_Help :

Now click start-->control panel --> sound.

IT_Help :

See play back.

Customer:

done.

IT_Help :

Can you change it to set as default.

Customer:

no.

IT_Help :

In device manager did you find any sound device?

Customer:

Yes and it indicates that it is working properly.

IT_Help :

Ok.

IT_Help :

In device manager-->double click sound device-->driver.

Customer:

Done.

IT_Help :

Tell me about the driver provider,date, version

Customer:

Driver 6.0.1.6045 dtd 2/9/2010

IT_Help :

Ok

IT_Help :

One more time go to start-->control panel --> sound.

IT_Help :

Now click on Speakers and then click Properties button as highlighted above.

IT_Help :

In the Speaker Properties dialog box select Use this device to enable Speakers in the Device usage dropdown list at the bottom.

Customer:

Done.

IT_Help :

All of this.

Customer:

Done.

IT_Help :

Now you can change your speaker to set as default.

IT_Help :

Also it will play sound.

IT_Help :

Hello....

Customer:

I used the ok button and I still cannot set as default.

IT_Help :

Customer:

I did.

IT_Help :

Try to play music.

IT_Help :

Is it working or not.?

Customer:

No.

IT_Help :

I am apologized. I am out of idea. This time I out out and leave the question for other experts.

IT_Help :

Thank you.

Customer:

How do I leave this since I don't wish to select the accept button and be charged

IT_Help :

Do not click on accept.

IT_Help :

You can relist the question for other experts.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. Sorry if I appear to be a pain.

IT_Help :

No problem. Hope you will choose just answer again.

IT_Help :

Thank you.

Expert:  technicalcat replied 2 years ago.

Please right click on your speaker icon in the lower right corner. Then left click on playback devices and tell me what you see.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Speakers
If the speakers are set as default device, then you should have sound. I've read the rest of your messages. You have two troubleshooting steps to take at this point.

First, get a pair of known working headphone (NOT speakers) and plug into the speaker or headphone port on the computer (NOT the line out). Play some sounds and listen. If you don't hear anything with the volume turned up, it is likely your sound device is bad. If you hear sound, the the speakers are bad ... and that is VERY common.

In the case you didn't hear anything, your next and only sure step would be to backup your data on that computer , and perform a full system recovery. If you don't want to do this, and would like to take a safe bet the sound device is bad, then you can purchase and install either a new sound card or a USB sound device. I would opt for the USB device in this case since you have an emachine. In this way , you wouldn't need to ophe case or depend on an available compatible slot being there.

Please click on accept button if this answer has helped you, as we techs get no credit for our time spent helping you unless you click accept. There is no additional charge for clicking accept. I'm here for follow up on this question both before and after accepting my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I played a music tested the sound using Control Panel and could hear both with the earphones. I have tried two different set of speakers and can hear nothing. I can't seem to be able to set the speakers as default.
OK, then it's very simple. There is no selection necessary. If you are plugging the speakers into the same port as the headphones that were working - then the speakers are BAD. It doesn't matter if you try two sets of them. They are both bad. The headphone is like a doctor's stethoscope in this case. It lets you listen to what's really coming from your sound card. Replace the speakers with something NEW, and your problem should be solved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I used the headphone outlet on the front of the computer.
It shouldn't matter. Plug the headphones in the same outlet as the speakers just to make sure. I'm assuming you aren't running some special digital sound system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Apparently the set of speakers that I have been using has gone south. I relocated my computer and when I hooked everything back up the speakers didn.t work. I used the outlet on the back of the computer for the speakers and earphones and could hear sound only from rhe earphones. I tested with both a music cd and the sounds using the control panel. When I used the other set of speakers I could hear low sound. My speakers are 15yrs old at least so I guess nothing lasts forever..
Yes, this debug method works well with the headphones. Speakers are the most common point of failure in computer sound.
Please be fair and click on accept button if this answer has helped you, as we techs get no credit for our time spent helping you unless you click accept. There is no additional charge for clicking accept. I'm here for follow up on this question both before and after accepting my answer. Positive feedback and bonuses are always appreciated.
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years experience. B.S. Computer Science
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you have and answer as to why I could not set the speakers as default?
I wouldn't worry about speakers, unless they aren't working. Your system is designed to put sound out to whatever you have plugged in. If you have more than one WORKING device plugged in, you can sometimes change them. This selection just gives you finer control. Get a working set of speakers , and you can also plug your phones in the front, and i bet it will all make sense to you then.