cvd4311
cvd4311, Computer Analyst
Experience:  I have a BA in CIT with over 14 years experience.

I want to export my aol contacts into gmail

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  cvd4311 replied 2 years ago.

cvd4311 :

To import just about all your mail from AOL Mail into Gmail — and your address book to boot:

• Copy all messages you want to import from your AOL Mail Recently Deleted, Sent and Spam folders to the AOL Mail Saved Mail (or another custom) folder.
  • Click the Settings gear in Gmail.
  • Select Settings from the menu that comes up.
  • Select the Accounts and Import tab.
  • Click Import mail and contacts.
    • If you have previously imported mail, click Import from another address.
  • Enter your AOL email address under What account do you want to import from?.
  • Click Continue.
  • Enter your AOL Mail password under Enter the password for example@aol.com:.
  • Click Continue.
  • Make sure Import contacts and Import mail are checked.
  • To have messages you receive at your AOL account automatically copied to your Gmail inbox for a month, check Import new mail for next 30 days.
  • Optionally, check Add label to all imported mail:.
    • This label lets you easily find all imported AOL Mail emails in one place. You can always remove the label from individual messages or delete it altogether. Imported contacts will not be labeled in any way.
    • Messages imported from Windows Live Hotmail folders other than New Mail and Old Mailwill automatically get a label derived from the folder name. All mail imported from your AOL "Family" folder will get the "Family" label, for example.
    • Messages in your Drafts, Recently Deleted and Spam folders will not be imported.
    • All messages and contacts will of course still be available in AOL Mail after they have been imported into Gmail.
  • Click Start import.
  • Click OK.

Please click accept and leave feedback so that I might get credit for this question.

Customer :

I don't know what "Copy" means in your first bullet point. Copy to where? How?

Customer :

Isn't there a way simply to get a .csv file out of AOL and then let gmail take over from there? If so, how?

Customer :

The information you have provided is a direct copy of something (which I don't get) from google gmail itself. What I want to do and what this says to do, appear to be two different things.

cvd4311 :

This is what aol is saying about getting your contacts over to gmail. copy means to copy all of your email and save it into a folder Saved Mail or another folder you have named. right click on the email message, click select all then click copy then go to folder and click inside folder and paste. Or try this:

cvd4311 :

1. Select all contacts as if you were sending them all an email from your AOL account.
2. Click "Edit" and "Cut" the contact names from the mail box (address box) then paste the names into the body of the email.
3. Send the email to your new gmail account.
4. Open the email, "Edit" and "cut" your contact names from the body of the email.
5. Compose new email
6. Paste the names into the address box in the new mail.
7. Type "New eMail Address" in Subject line
8. Type "Please send all future emails to my new email address, (your email address@gmail.com)
9. Send this email to your contacts.
10. gmail will automatically save all of your contacts in your contact folder, and everyone else you email from gmail in the future.

Another tip: Go to settings and click "add account". Add your AOL screen name and password to receive your AOL mail on your new gmail account

cvd4311 :

cvd4311 :

Gmail is also stating this:

Copy your contacts from AOL to Gmail:

1. Export your address book in AOL's CSV format in AOL Contacts under the Tools menu.
  2. Import you address book in CSV format in Gmail.
cvd4311 :

Or this:

An alternative way is to go to http://beta.webmail.aol.com. Click on "Contacts" on the left hand side bar. Click "Export" (it's next to the 'find contacts' search bar). Export to a CSV, "comma-separated-value" file. Just import this in Gmail.

cvd4311 :

Per AOL the easier way is to have Outlook:

1. Fire up Outlook, you don't need to create an email account, creating a profile without email support works just fine.

2. Goto https://www.forge.funambol.org/download/ and download the AOL sync at the bottom of the page.

3. Run the program, goto Tools - Options - Account and fill in the AOL account username and password to sync from.

4. Click the Contacts button and watch your contacts magically appear in Outlook

5. From Outlook choose File - Export - to a file - CSV - Contacts.

6. From Gmail click contacts - import - choose file and there you go!