Jeremy
Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience:  Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.
62669195

My laptop says that there are "no connections are available"

Customer Question

My laptop says that there are "no connections are available" when I tried to go online. This has never happened before. It also says that the wireless capability is turned off. How do I turn it on?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jeremy replied 2 years ago.

BestComputerExpert :

Hi my name isXXXXX would like to assist you with your Laptop issue

BestComputerExpert :

How are you doing today?

BestComputerExpert :

Can you tell me the model number of the laptop with the wireless issue?

Customer:

It is a Satellite L6450-S4056 Model No, PSK0QU-01200D

BestComputerExpert :

Are you on the laptop right now, or is it near by where we can test a few things?

Customer:

I am on the desktop, the laptop is right next to me.

BestComputerExpert :

Great :)

BestComputerExpert :

The wifi was working okay before with no issues?

Customer:

Yes, can watch Netflix and Hulu, no problems on T.V. , just the lap top.

BestComputerExpert :

Can you take a look on the front of the device to see if there is a wireless On/OFF switch?

BestComputerExpert :

Full Size Image

BestComputerExpert :

This is for a different model however Toshiba keeps the wireless switches around the same area

BestComputerExpert :

Sometimes its also a hotkey that can enable or disable the wireless

Customer:

I don"t see one. That was what the trouble shooting said to do. Which is what confused me.

BestComputerExpert :

Let's try this

BestComputerExpert :

Hold the FN key on your keyboard and Press F8

BestComputerExpert :

Then test and see if the Wifi comes back on

Customer:

did that , nothing happened,checked with trouble shooting and it still says the wireless capability is turnedoff

BestComputerExpert :

What color is the Wireless light on the Toshiba?

Customer:

Ahhh, dumb question here, which light is the wireless light?

BestComputerExpert :

Should be on the top right I believe on that Model.

BestComputerExpert :

Full Size Image

BestComputerExpert :

Do you see any symbols similar to that on the Toshiba?

Customer:

No lights there. There are 6 lights at the bottom left edge of laptop. First three are on, fourth is blinking. Fifth and sixth are not on.I appologize for not being more "literate"

BestComputerExpert :

No problem at all :) Do the lights not blinking have any symbols near or ontop of them?

Customer:

Aah, the sixth light has that symbol undernesth it. Stamped in the plastic,

BestComputerExpert :

Getting closer :)

BestComputerExpert :

does your keyboard have a symbol close to the one above light 6?

BestComputerExpert :

or do you see any switches on the side or near the light?

Customer:

Symbol under the sixth light , no switches. I have looked all over it. What is weird is that the pad where you move the cursor has also quit working - all at the same time. I plugged in a spare mouse and it works.

BestComputerExpert :

Theres a little button on that laptop directly above the two mice buttons

BestComputerExpert :

press that one time and see if that makes the touchpad resume.

BestComputerExpert :

Should be just below the space bar

BestComputerExpert :

Also try the FN+F8 once more time

BestComputerExpert :

The trick is to hold FN first then press f8 one time

Customer:

Will be right there, have to take a job. (comes over internet)

BestComputerExpert :

No problem :)

Customer:

When I do the Fn F8 thing a symbol similar to the one you sent comes up and under it it says off. On the right side is a circle with an rotating arrow and the word cancel. As soon as I let up on the keys everything remains tha way it was.

BestComputerExpert :

Try holding FN press F8 once, release f8 while continuing to hold fn count to two and press f8 once again

Customer:

Oh, found the mouse button. Well hidden. All this black on black, design wise looks god, hard for old farts like myself to see sometimes.

BestComputerExpert :

:)

BestComputerExpert :

Did it re-enable the touchpad at least?

Customer:

YES, YES, YES!!!!!!!!!!! i AM A HAPPY CAMPER

BestComputerExpert :

Yay!

BestComputerExpert :

Did that have any affect on the wireless also?

Customer:

Thatyes was for the mouse and the internet. Now I know where to look. I kept notes, like all good teachers do.

BestComputerExpert :

Thats amazing!

BestComputerExpert :

If you could press the Accept below and leave positive feedback

BestComputerExpert :

Also.

BestComputerExpert :

Add this chat to your favorites, I am here for you day or night if you get stuck on anything :)

BestComputerExpert :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX

Customer:

Will do. Thanks for your help. I learned something (actually two things) today. And that makes my day.

Jeremy, Computer Repairer
Experience: Computer Issues? Let my 14 years experience work to solve your toughest issue. Simple and Fast.