Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support
Experience:  MCSE, MCP

I can only start my computer in "Safe Mode". What can I do

I can only start my computer in "Safe Mode". What can I do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

What happens when you try to start the computer in regular mode? Did this problem just start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just started this morning. I called Comcast and they referred me to Heweltt Packard. I cannot start my computer in regular mode.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK if it just started this morning, the best thing to do is a system restore. We can just restore the computer to yesterday. This does not affect any data. Is your computer using Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I do this, it won't let me do it in safe mode.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
Could you tell me what version of Windows is on the computer? And are you getting an error message when you attempt the System Restore?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am running Windows 7 Home Edition. The only message I get when I try a System Restore is that I cannot do it in safe mode.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Hm, you should be able to. Well let's see if we can get you into a Clean Boot and then run the System Restore. Please do the following for me:

1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the Search window, type msconfig and then hit the Enter key.
  3. The System Configuration utility should open.
  4. Click the Startup tab.
  5. Click the button that says Disable All.
  6. Click The Services tab.
  7. Check the box that says Hide all Microsoft services and then click the Disable All button.
  8. Click OK.
  9. Restart when prompted and let the computer come back up normally. Hopefully it will boot into normal mode this time now that we have turned off all of the extra stuff.

Once you are in normal mode, try to run the System Restore. Please let me know if it still won't run. Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did all that you stated and I still cannot connect in normal mode. What next????
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK so you are back in Safe Mode now? Can you do the following for me?

1. Click the Start button.
  2. In the Search window, type rstrui.exe and hit Enter.
  3. This should open the System Restore window. Try running the restore one more time and tell me exactly what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
error message states "system restore does not appear to be functoning on this system.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.
OK do you have a Windows 7 installation DVD there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes, I do have a Windows 7 installation DVD.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

OK great. Insert that into the computer. Then do the following:

1. Reboot the computer.
  2. After the vendor logo disappears you should see a prompt telling you to 'Press any key to boot from the CD/DVD'. Press the Enter key.
  3. Windows 7 setup will load its files and then the setup screen will appear.
  4. Click the Repair Computer link in the lower left hand corner.
  5. You will be prompted for the windows 7 installation (there should be only one). Highlight it and click OK.
  6. On the next screen there should be an option to use System Restore. Please click on that link.

See if System Restore will work there. Let me know if it doesn't.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Success, The Windows 7 CD/DVD allowed me to do the System Restore and now the computer is working fine. Thanks for your expert assistance.
Expert:  Erik B. replied 2 years ago.

Awesome. Glad to be of assistance!

Please let me know if you need anything else and thanks again!

Erik B., Computer Support
Experience: MCSE, MCP