Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Steve is a consultant in the areas of computer software and programming, information management and networking.
47680681

Very slow or delayed, MS Outlook email when sending files,

Customer Question

Very slow or delayed, MS Outlook email when sending files, particularly with file attachments (usually less than 250K each, up to 3 max).

- 2 of 12 workstations on this new Microsoft Small Business Server 2011 'Standard' network experiencing this issue.

- Outlook will “grey-out” for as long as two full minutes, or wait until next day, before finally sending.
- in some cases, MS Outlook locks-up entirely
Category: Computer
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, my name is Steve and I'd like to help you with your Outlook issue. Can you first tell me the version of Outlook you are using?

JACUSTOMER-h76fnee3- :

verifying right now.

Steve :

Great, thanks

JACUSTOMER-h76fnee3- :

MS Outlook version 2010.

Steve :

For the two workstations with problems, do you know if they are configured with cached Exchange mode?

Steve :

I can tell you what to do to check if you're not sure how to determine that.

Steve :

1) On a workstation with the problem, launch Outlook.

2) Go to Tools and click Account Settings.

3) On the Email tab, click the Exchange account and click Change.

4) Under Microsoft Exchange Server, determine if the Use Cached Exchange Mode checkbox is checked.

JACUSTOMER-h76fnee3- :

Hi Steve, we'll check... as it's my client in another town, this may take more than a day, but you may be on the right track. (thank you, Patrick)

Steve :

Sure thing, Patrick. I hope it works and you can accept the answer once you've determined this.

Steve :

Hi Patrick, just following up to see if you were able to get this resolved?

JACUSTOMER-h76fnee3- :

Hi Steve, thanks for the follow up... I expect to (hope) to remotely log onto the client's PC, and check both the PC's and the Server's settings.

JACUSTOMER-h76fnee3- :

As an FYI, the client's server does not have MS Exchange configured; but, the eMail is being (I'm not a network guy as you can tell), sent through to an external ISP... so an eMail pass-through. Does this help, and/or do you have other things I should look for?

Steve :

Are they using IMAP or POP3 to access the email?